Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:47 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
As infants/toddlers my kids were exposed to a variety of foods, and they both ate most fruits and veggies provided. My husband is a very picky eater, and he hated that his parents "forced" him to eat foods he did not like, so he did not want to go the route of "this is what is what we cooked, if your hungry you will eat." So the kids would started requesting different foods from what was cooked all the time. It drives me crazy, because I can never make a meal that more than 2 people like in my house, and there's almost always a request from all 3 for something to be different. One doesn't like red sauce, or the type of noodles that were cooked, or the way the food looks. I now have them make their own alternative meal, but I don't like that either.

I don't know what came first, the picky eating husband carrying on that gene or the kids just responding to his pickiness and the idea they didn't have to eat what was there. I do truly consider it pickiness for all of them. I used to like to cook, but now I hate to cook. I would much rather eat out, or let everyone fend for themselves. I know this is not ideal, but it is what it is! Fortunately, my husband and I are on the same page for other areas of raising kids, but this one is a battle I have tired of fighting. I will say, my now 14 yo is starting to experiment more, so maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

To make matters worse, both my husband and youngest daughter were diagnosed with Celiac last year, so that has increased the difficulty of fixing meals for everyone.
Aren't you glad that you didn't force her to eat foods that would have made her sick? My son's eating habits have been annoying but if I would have forced him to eat (as so many people recommend) I would have way overestimated how much food he needs. Forcing him to overeat would have been worse than dealing with the lack of variety in his diet. We're fortunate in that he will eat most vegetables and any fruit so it's not as stressful as what many others have to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM

389 posts, read 421,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Aren't you glad that you didn't force her to eat foods that would have made her sick? My son's eating habits have been annoying but if I would have forced him to eat (as so many people recommend) I would have way overestimated how much food he needs. Forcing him to overeat would have been worse than dealing with the lack of variety in his diet. We're fortunate in that he will eat most vegetables and any fruit so it's not as stressful as what many others have to deal with.
The foods I want her to eat more of wouldn't be the problem with her Celiac. It's the gluten filled carbs that she prefers to eat. Although since be diagnosed, she has been really good about avoiding gluten, and accepting GF alternatives. It just further limits what she can eat. Eating out is really a challenge!

I definitely don't think the "forcing" kids to eat method is effective. However, the all you can eat buffet and open kitchen is not effective either. (from personal experience) I feel like we've never found a good middle ground on this in our house. So the middle ground for us is that I cook a meal for everyone a couple of times a week. Something I know everyone will like, and can easily have different versions. ie: Taco salad for me, crispy tacos for one, soft tacos for another, etc.... The rest of the week everyone is on their own to fix their meals. Ideal? Nope, but it keeps my sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting