U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM

9,704 posts, read 7,648,442 times

Advertisements

Does he like eggs? Try a cheese omelette for supper or breakfast, or try a quiche with lots of cheese. You can also sneak ham or chicken into a quiche (ham tastes better, but chicken works, too).

In addition to seafood and chicken breast, you mentioned that he likes sausage for breakfast - how about bacon? Most kids like it. Grilled cheese sandwiches are another way to sneak more protein into his diet. How about vegetable and beef soup? Serve it with cheese and crackers and fresh fruit. Peanut butter is usually a favorite, unless he has allergies or his school forbids it.

You could also check with his pediatrician and get suggestions. Might not be a bad idea, anyway, since your son seems to have a hollow leg. Another idea would be to get him a child's cookbook and cook together on weekends.

Also, get rid of the X-box at bedtime. Try subbing a bedtime story to help him wind down - a real bedtime story, from a picture book. Your local library will have great free booklists and other suggestions, and it's all free.

Edited: Sorry, just saw your above post about the egg allergy. So go for cheese, peanuts, etc. I also wonder if he can handle eggs in cooked products - cakes, bread, etc. - or just has trouble with plain eggs? He may be able to tolerate smaller amounts - hope he outgrows this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
No eggs (allergic) wont eat beans I have tried every type.
Ok, so no eggs or beans for protein...

Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt have a good amount of protein, which will help him stay full.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

Edited: Sorry, just saw your above post about the egg allergy. So go for cheese, peanuts, etc. I also wonder if he can handle eggs in cooked products - cakes, bread, etc. - or just has trouble with plain eggs? He may be able to tolerate smaller amounts - hope he outgrows this one.
If he eats bagels and waffles and cakes, he's probably able to eat small amounts.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 PM

493 posts, read 365,169 times
Ok no hes not allowed to use the xbox at night. It becomes a whole fight so he tries to sneak in the am he can use it on the weekend.
I give him tea and read a story and night because bed time can be difficult. I am in grad school and spending a hour and a half chasing him back to bed is not a option.

Yes he can eat them baked into things but things like eggs alone or even mayo is a problem. I buy the vegan one for his tuna sandwiches. He loves peanuts but they can kill me. We have sun and almond butter.
I will can add more protein to his diet he loves all kinds of nuts. School is peanut free too. He can eat carbs all day so I will have to figure out how to transition him to more protein foods.
He loves yogurt so I will try the greek one. He likes the granola bar with almonds so I will find some with more protein. He also loves my protein shakes I make in the morning but I am always nervous to give them to him. Its vegan but I'm not sure if he can have it.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 PM

9,003 posts, read 16,133,914 times
Set up the Parental control on the XBox For the hours it can be used, It can be setup in 1hour slot for each day of the week.

So you can set it so it won't work until 3p-6pm m-f and 7am-X on weekends or something like that.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Ok no hes not allowed to use the xbox at night. It becomes a whole fight so he tries to sneak in the am he can use it on the weekend.
I give him tea and read a story and night because bed time can be difficult. I am in grad school and spending a hour and a half chasing him back to bed is not a option.

Yes he can eat them baked into things but things like eggs alone or even mayo is a problem. I buy the vegan one for his tuna sandwiches. He loves peanuts but they can kill me. We have sun and almond butter.
I will can add more protein to his diet he loves all kinds of nuts. School is peanut free too. He can eat carbs all day so I will have to figure out how to transition him to more protein foods.
He loves yogurt so I will try the greek one. He likes the granola bar with almonds so I will find some with more protein. He also loves my protein shakes I make in the morning but I am always nervous to give them to him. Its vegan but I'm not sure if he can have it.
Let him try your protein shake on the weekend, that way if it causes stomach upset, he doesn't have to deal with it at school.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:26 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,055,580 times
He needs a lot more protein. Why so little for lunch? If I only had a bagel for breakfast, 2 hours later I'm starving like I haven't eaten in a week! One sausage isn't much. Fruit has no protein so it goes right through his body. He needs far more protein in breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

If you think he's eating a lot now, wait until he's a teenager! They can eat a whole Wegmans in one afternoon!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:03 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,717,072 times
Feed more protein. Cheese, yogurt, nuts, meat. Fewer carbs - less juice, no "puffs", cut down on cookies, cake, pretzels, etc.

I raised 3 boys, and they were all teenagers at the same time. So if you think he eats a lot now, oh, just you wait....you ain't seen nothing yet!!

I bought a chest freezer and then had a side of beef (literally) wrapped and frozen in there.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:33 PM

16,489 posts, read 15,932,856 times
You have received lots of great advice.

Children are very different. They can be the same sex, the same age, same height & the same weight and may eat a lot more or a lot less. And it is still normal. They can appear to doing the same activities but if you look closely one may be much more active than the other child, or one may be leaving bites of food and the other snacking just a little more.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 PM

10,403 posts, read 7,483,693 times
With my 2 boys I always bought milk by two gallons at a time. My youngest grew so fast. His pants would get tight then *whoosh* an upward growth spurt and his pants were loose again but suddenly too short! Over and over.

I read somewhere that a high protein breakfast with not as much carbs satisfied and kept them from being too hungry before lunch. Like a couple of eggs and a meat. Anyway, it sounds like you're doing a good job. Just feed him as long as you believe he truly is hungry. If he's eating the GOOD stuff and he's not overweight... Sounds like you've got a growing boy!!! Gotta love it!! (I miss mine!! They're grown.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting