U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:19 PM

493 posts, read 365,018 times

Advertisements

MY son is 6 years old 48lbs and 4'1 and eats all day. He will literally cry two hours after he ate. I understand he takes a lot of activities so I feed him what he needs. But he wants more I always give him food as long as it is somewhat healthy but he still acts like he is starving.

Breakfast: Bagel with cream cheese / or wheat waffle with sausage and a fruit (apples or berries)

Snack (weekends only) yogurt and nuts or pretzels

Lunch is at 10:30 on school days and I pack him a sandwich fruit juice and veggie puffs

I pick him up at 2:20 and feed him at home something like a half a sandwich or like today simple pasta sauce and cheese.

On his way to class/ practice at 4:30 ( karate, football, swimming, piano) I might give him a granola bar or a bag of dried fruit.

He has dinner around 6 a full meal and dessert by 7:30 (cake, parfait, cookies, ect) then bed.

I only give him juice for lunch he has milk, tea or water the rest of the day. Even with him eating pretty often he still acts as if is not enough food. He will tell me he is starving. How can he be hungry? He isn't overweight in anyway. Where is the food going?
My grocery bill has basically doubled with "half" a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:24 PM

9,003 posts, read 16,128,157 times
Some Boys just have a fast metabolism, and often small stomachs (Not a good Mix) . As long he a good weight, Just keep feeding him.

And watch out in 6 years or so, Costco Will be your friend with the volume of food he will eat.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:25 PM

9,003 posts, read 16,128,157 times
I would also not limit the milk 1 or 2% as much as he wants to drink...

Milk takes longer to digest then water and juices. Also will give him some protein, calcium.

(But don't do Milk before the sports things.) Gatorade for them is good.

Last edited by flyonpa; 02-09-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 01:32 PM

7,077 posts, read 16,893,484 times
My 5 year old eats more than that and is always "so hungry"... and also my 8 year old daughter.

Why aren't you packing more for lunch? My kids get a sandwich/hot dogs, chips, apple/orange/pear and Gogurt. If my kids only had sandwich and veggie puffs, they would be begging friends for food.

My son will eat 2-3 bowls of cereal in the mornings. On weekends, when we have pancakes or waffles, they are both "starving" an hour later even if they ate 3-4 pancakes/waffles.

It drives me nuts how much they ask for food as they eat a lot. They are both skinny and are very active and they eat more than what you posted and still want more.

Can I ask why you're giving a dessert at 7:30? My kids are in bed by 7:30 on school nights, so last snack is at 6:45. We usually eat dinner between 5-5:30 depending on what time the activity starts that particular day. On gymnastics days, we get home at 7:30, so it's straight to bed, no snack.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
My 5 year old eats more than that and is always "so hungry"... and also my 8 year old daughter.

Why aren't you packing more for lunch? My kids get a sandwich/hot dogs, chips, apple/orange/pear and Gogurt. If my kids only had sandwich and veggie puffs, they would be begging friends for food.

My son will eat 2-3 bowls of cereal in the mornings. On weekends, when we have pancakes or waffles, they are both "starving" an hour later even if they ate 3-4 pancakes/waffles.

It drives me nuts how much they ask for food as they eat a lot. They are both skinny and are very active and they eat more than what you posted and still want more.

Can I ask why you're giving a dessert at 7:30? My kids are in bed by 7:30 on school nights, so last snack is at 6:45. We usually eat dinner between 5-5:30 depending on what time the activity starts that particular day. On gymnastics days, we get home at 7:30, so it's straight to bed, no snack.
He goes to bed by 8:30 and I wake him up at 7:15 to get to school by 8:30 its two blocks away. When I put him to bed at 7:30 he wakes up around 6 and it throws off my morning routine. He will either run around at 6 am or secretly turn on his xbox. I rather him sleep right until he needs to be up.
I will pack more food for lunch because he's always on the brink of tears when I pick him up because he is so hungry. I figures a whole bagel with cream cheese 3 sausage links and a cup of fruit should be ample for breakfast.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would also not limit the milk 1 or 2% as much as he wants to drink...

Milk takes longer to digest then water and juices. Also will give him some protein, calcium.

(But don't do Milk before the sports things.) Gatorade for them is good.
Only buy whole milk more calories he was underweight when he was younger so I never changed over.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 PM

7,077 posts, read 16,893,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
He goes to bed by 8:30 and I wake him up at 7:15 to get to school by 8:30 its two blocks away. When I put him to bed at 7:30 he wakes up around 6 and it throws off my morning routine. He will either run around at 6 am or secretly turn on his xbox. I rather him sleep right until he needs to be up.
I will pack more food for lunch because he's always on the brink of tears when I pick him up because he is so hungry. I figures a whole bagel with cream cheese 3 sausage links and a cup of fruit should be ample for breakfast.
My 8 year old has to be up at 6:35am to catch the bus at 6:52am and my 5 year old has to be up at 6:45am to be able to leave at 7:25am for him to be at school by 7:45am. His school doesn't send a bus since it's outside our school boundary. We don't have the pleasure of sleeping late, so 7:30 bedtime works for us.

On the weekends, I allow them to stay up until 8:30 (so snack is at 7:30pm) and they still wake up before 7am. That's so obnoxious!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:42 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
MY son is 6 years old 48lbs and 4'1 and eats all day. He will literally cry two hours after he ate. I understand he takes a lot of activities so I feed him what he needs. But he wants more I always give him food as long as it is somewhat healthy but he still acts like he is starving.

Breakfast: Bagel with cream cheese / or wheat waffle with sausage and a fruit (apples or berries)

Snack (weekends only) yogurt and nuts or pretzels

Lunch is at 10:30 on school days and I pack him a sandwich fruit juice and veggie puffs

I pick him up at 2:20 and feed him at home something like a half a sandwich or like today simple pasta sauce and cheese.

On his way to class/ practice at 4:30 ( karate, football, swimming, piano) I might give him a granola bar or a bag of dried fruit.

He has dinner around 6 a full meal and dessert by 7:30 (cake, parfait, cookies, ect) then bed.

I only give him juice for lunch he has milk, tea or water the rest of the day. Even with him eating pretty often he still acts as if is not enough food. He will tell me he is starving. How can he be hungry? He isn't overweight in anyway. Where is the food going?
My grocery bill has basically doubled with "half" a person.
He's hungry because you don't feed him enough. Try foods a bit higher in protein. They take longer to digest than carbs and will keep him full longer.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,496,624 times
My kids both eat way more than that, especially for lunch. My son will eat a sandwich, yogurt, apple, cheese, and peanut butter pretzels just at lunchtime, that's after a full hot breakfast. He's in great shape and thin.

My daughter is underweight and puts away as much as my son plus up to three Clif bars a day, they're something like 250 calories each, in order to help her gain some weight.

Some kids eat a lot, it's ok as long they're not snacking on junk all day.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:53 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
You are not feeding your kid enough food.

Too many carbs and they burn off quickly.

He should have an unlimited supply of milk.

Whole sandwiches, not half sandwiches.

He needs more meat in his diet & more veggies (not puffs -- fresh veggies).

I'm sure he isn't overweight, I wouldn't be surprised if he is underweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting