U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,242,210 times

Advertisements

Please...anything that has worked for you!

If this has been posted before, please let me know & I'll read those threads.

Trying to train an almost 2 1/2 yr old boy.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,798,552 times
I will preface this whole post by saying, if he is not truly ready to train, you will get nowhere. I had to start and stop with my second son three times before he was really ready.

I employed the old "potty bootcamp" method (I made that up ) with all three of my boys and I swear by it. My youngest is also 2 1/2 and just recently fully potty trained (hurray - no more diapers after 7 straight years!).

Basically, I just commit to a few days of staying close to home and put them in underpants. They usually pee/poop in their underpants a few times before they get the idea, and then it clicks and the accidents get fewer and fewer. The pooping can take a little longer, so you really have to know you kid's pooping schedule () and keep putting him on the potty till he gets it.

Oh, and I never used a potty - my kids wanted to play with it more than anything - I just used a potty seat that goes on the big toilet with a step stool. Also, you probably are already doing this, but he should sit down to pee - eventually he will learn to pee standing up, but not for a year or so.

My biggest advice - no pull ups! They are merely expensive diapers. Just bite the bullet, stay home for a few days and it'll work out. But again, if he's not ready, you will just be banging your head against the wall for nothing.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,133,503 times
With my two older children I waited until they were almost 3 and they were potty trained in a matter of a couple of weeks both day and night.
My thinking behind it was that I would rather change nappies than cleaning "accidents" all the time. Also it save them the embarrassment of too many accidents.
It is amazing what a difference a few months make at that age.

But every child is different and it is up to you to notice when they are ready.

Good luck, it is a messy business.

PS: the previous post was right about staying at home for the first few days, good advice

Last edited by hutch5; 02-08-2008 at 05:48 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,237,535 times
I agree with the above posts.Nothing works until they are ready.But,all kids are different.My three kids were all 3 before they potty trained.I worked soooooo hard with the first,trying everything.Then,I decided to relax and I asked him when he were ready. He said "when I turn 3" On his birthday I reminded him of that,and that was it.No more diapers or accidents after that.The same with the other two.Good luck to you.If he has expressed an interest,it's worth a shot.Otherwise,you may be out of luck.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:34 AM

206 posts, read 1,023,820 times
When my granddaughter, whom I am raising, turned 2 I bought her a potty chair. I just put it in the bathroom. she sat on it a few times, with her pants on. I left it there for her to get used to. After a while she wanted to go potty when I was going potty. But she did not actually USE the potty until I took off the diapers and put training pants on her. She had a LOT of accidents but slowly got better. She did not like the feeling of poop in her pants... so that part got easy real fast. She began to identify with what it felt like BEFORE she had to go. I believe the same as the other poster about the pull-ups. I tried them... she did not like them.

Today she is 3. She still has some accidents... but mostly because she is too involved in other stuff and waits till the last second to run into the bathroom yelling GRAMMY I GOTTA GO POTTY. She has also perfected what I call... "The potty dance"

Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,144,848 times
I am only going to address the pee part as I don't remember what I did on the other part with DS. I always felt this was DH's job, as I had to deal with DD, but nevertheless...I thought I'd make it fun for DS. He was about 2-ish when I started, even though I knew he'd do it later than my daughter, being that he's a boy. I bought those little sponge duckies that float on the toilet. They are biodegradable I believe. I guess you could substitute rubber duckies but would have to fish them out later as they won't flush (Argggh & yuck, but oh well!). I let them float there and we'd play a game of "shoot the duckies with your pee-pee". He thought that was loads of fun and couldn't wait to go do it and shoot them! Not only did it encourage him, it trained him to aim well! Now we all know that this is an art and good training for doing it in the dark! LOL! Wish all men were trained to aim right. Me thinks we should invent something similar in a glow-in-the-dark version.

Now Number 2 is a long drawn out process. I guess it happens when it happens. I just try to sit him on the potty on a regular basis whether he needs to go or not, and when he does go on cue...whoop whoop!!! Big praise and celebration! (Sirens going, the works!) Still took time but had him on pull-ups. Be patient. It will happen before he goes to kindergarten!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,861,113 times
I made a huge mistake with my first daughter in "strongly urging" her to potty train starting at 2 and a half ... took almost 4 years for her to be accident free. My second daughter potty trained herself in a week, never ever an accident (unless she was ill). With my son, he just turned 3 and could care freaking less about using the potty. Sure, sitting there and playing with the toilet paper is cool and sitting there reading a book is the bomb, but he's just not interested. I'm not too freaked by it at this point because it's not affecting anything really. I'm hoping by this summer, he'll be nappy-less.

What did work with my girls though is jelly bellies. One jelly belly for pee and 2 for poo. Bribery gets you everywhere with a potty trainer!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 PM

667 posts, read 2,098,030 times
Like some previous posters, I took a few day off of work & dedicated those days to putting my son on the potty.
He wore his 'big boy' undies & I put him on the pot every 15-30 min. & explained to him each time that this is where he needed to 'go' from now on.
He had it down in about 4 days, even at night he was doing well. He's had maybe 3 accidents since then & none of them being nighttime accidents. His problem arises when he waits toooooo long before mentioning that he needs to go pee. He waits until that last moment where he can't stand it anymore & letter' rip!
I started the potty training about 3 weeks before he turned 3 & it was a smooth ride I must admit!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:40 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,861,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Like some previous posters, I took a few day off of work & dedicated those days to putting my son on the potty.
He wore his 'big boy' undies & I put him on the pot every 15-30 min. & explained to him each time that this is where he needed to 'go' from now on.
He had it down in about 4 days, even at night he was doing well. He's had maybe 3 accidents since then & none of them being nighttime accidents. His problem arises when he waits toooooo long before mentioning that he needs to go pee. He waits until that last moment where he can't stand it anymore & letter' rip!
I started the potty training about 3 weeks before he turned 3 & it was a smooth ride I must admit!
I hate you ... just kidding! Congrats on a job well done!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM

934 posts, read 932,663 times
I havent done a boy (yet...but its coming!). My grandma had 4 boys, and potty trained them by letting them pee in a metal coffee can. They think the sound is fun! lol. Hey- whatever works!

With my daughter we put her in her big girl panties and tossed her outside ( obviously during warm weather! lol). She had 2 accidents that day and hated the feeling of being wet so much, it never happened again. She wore diapers at night for a little while longer, but again, we took the diapers away...she had a couple of accidents and that was the end of it. The whole wet thing wasn't very cool to her!

I think we were blessed with her! My boy will probably be 6 and still not potty trained....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting