Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I was interested in this thread because I thought it was going to be helpful hints and tips for parenting. Isn't that the purpose of this whole forum? Even though I've been a parent (step, bio and adoptive) to 7 for 40 years, I still have much to learn and we still have 2 at home.

I like to hear what has worked for others. And sometimes I offer my own experiences but mostly I ask for advice. The tone of the OP was not so much to offer tips but to brag about how her kids turned out so well because she was so perfect. That set many off and this thread did not go too well for her or anybody else.

I sincerely hope she can get some help for her serious problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
It's a free and easy tip for parents to try. Kudos for loving your kids and bringing them up right!!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I am a healthy, well-educated, productive member of society.
And I have a tattoo.
And my parents have no idea it exists because it is on my hip.
So one probably shouldn't get too smug about their child being tattoo-less.
My friend hid her behind the ear tattoo from her parents for about 4 years. Another friend hid a rib tattoo from her dad for about a year. Yet another friend hid a septum piercing as a teen from her parents all throughout high school. She would just flip it up into her nose when she got home, and they never knew it was there.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:35 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
People often want their opinion to be known, yet what they say is of zero importance and will never have an impact on anything. For several years, I served on the board of a 501C3 organization and when we had business meetings, all attendees wanted to give their opinion on any subject that came up.

Since this was unduly time consuming, it was decided if someone had a notion of something needing to be done, then that person would be appointed to take care of the new suggestion. It cut down on their urgency to speak.

My two children grew up to be fine, upstanding adults. I think they did this in spite of their parents.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:25 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
People often want their opinion to be known, yet what they say is of zero importance and will never have an impact on anything. For several years, I served on the board of a 501C3 organization and when we had business meetings, all attendees wanted to give their opinion on any subject that came up.

Since this was unduly time consuming, it was decided if someone had a notion of something needing to be done, then that person would be appointed to take care of the new suggestion. It cut down on their urgency to speak.

My two children grew up to be fine, upstanding adults. I think they did this in spite of their parents.
Thanks for giving us this example and Demonstrating it so effectively also.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:06 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Get this though - people who get tattoos often know that they're in it for the long haul - while some people are idiots and get tattoos while drunk or don't think too hard about it, many more plan their design for years, think long and hard about it, and know full well what they're about to do to their bodies. To suggest those with tattoos make a rash decision and don't think about the consequences is a stupid argument. OP, your kids aren't spectacular for knowing that tattoos are a permanent decision. People who get tattoos also know this. Your kids aren't special.
LOL, your post reminded me of:

JIMMY BUFFETT
"Margaritaville"

Don't know the reason,
Stayed here all season
With nothing to show but this brand new tattoo.
But it's a real beauty,
A Mexican cutie, how it got here
I haven't a clue.

Disclaimer: I don't have a tattoo but I don't care if others have them.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Wait, what exactly was the point of this thread? Has that ever been established?

Old 02-15-2016, 02:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wait, what exactly was the point of this thread? Has that ever been established?
I'm not sure, but I think the subtitle should be "pride goeth before a fall". Haven't read the whole thing, though.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:28 PM

Where the hecl do I sound like im bragging, or prideful, and you know what, even if I am, so what?

are you all ASHAMED of what you did as parents?

im not!!!

BIZARRE how Teaching Your Kids To Use What God Gave Them is somehow to be hated on

Shame more parents don't do it

but theyre too busy online

Old 02-15-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

For those who don't understand the phrase "My Parenting Secret" (and there seems to be a lot of you)

It could be rephrased as

"The Main Thing I Did Right"

Its an observation. I was a single mom, I struggled too. But I struggled way, way less than could be expected - we all Defeated The Statistics. My kids didn't take drugs, didn't stay out at night, didn't have sex too young, didn't enter Adult Relationships too young, stayed at school, did their homework, and in my daughters case got 2 degrees and 3 Scholarships to 3 Drama Schools.

Me sharing WHY I think they became so Independent, Hard Working and so Unscathed even in a high drug use peer environment generally, (after years of reflection) is apparently Pointless - which I find hilariously ironic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting