U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 606,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, you're right about that, everything is the mother's fault. But good grief, most of us who have grown kids have ones that have turned out just fine. Strict parents, lenient parents, religious parents, atheist parents, etc. There's no "one way".
That would be why I entitled the thread

MY Parenting Secret

MY<<<<<me, mine, myself

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Don't sweat it. It's the C-D effect. People love to disagree.

My parents raised us on the same thing: Think. Think about where you are. Think about what you're going to do. Think about the consequences of your actions. THINK! We had it drilled into us from the time we were small. Each of us became contributing citizens and raised our own kids the same way.

(No one told us our brains weren't going to be fully developed until our 20's. If we had tried to use that as an excuse when we didn't use our heads my dad would have said, "Then use the part that's already developed!")

Good Lord people saying children cant think

I did when I was a kid

a Latchkey child - bringing myself up

Maybe its a matter of IQ

The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree, etc

my children are about The Only Ones they know who never got tattoos.

Despite all the Peer Pressure and the Tattoos On Everyone of the current day - not my kids. Nope they said, how stupid, they said, what if you change your mind.

But I fully understand if some folks children are not capable of such advanced reasoning.

Some kids they went to school with could barely eat with a knife and fork let alone use their brains.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:46 PM

12,914 posts, read 19,792,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post

I did when I was a kid

Maybe its a matter of IQ

Despite all the Peer Pressure and the Tattoos On Everyone of the current day - not my kids. Nope they said, how stupid, they said, what if you change your mind.

But I fully understand if some folks children are not capable of such advanced reasoning.

Some kids they went to school with could barely eat with a knife and fork let alone use their brains.
I WAS with you. But when you resort to ugly, I have to step away. Stepping away now.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:50 PM

84,966 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:

I did when I was a kid

Maybe its a matter of IQ

Oh, yeah, other people's kids aren't capable. I think a number of us 'get it'.

MY kids didn't get tatoos, either, though both got their navels pierced on one got her nose pierced as well. I guess I'm a failure as a parent. Sorry, this thread makes me want to barf.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, yeah, other people's kids aren't capable. I think a number of us 'get it'.

MY kids didn't get tatoos, either, though both got their navels pierced on one got her nose pierced as well. I guess I'm a failure as a parent. Sorry, this thread makes me want to barf.
is it here where I point out you get 1/4 of a rep point per post and I get 2? In other words, I get 800% the amount of rep points your posts do.

If the thread makes you want to barf, please feel free to remove yourself from it.

BTW: I also taught my kids to Not Apologise for having an Opinion.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:17 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Oh peacock poo, there is no *One Secret* every child is as individual as every special snowflake and without an owners manual, guideline, handbook or good luck gold star no parent is going to be perfect and their children are not perfect either. Sometimes you just get lucky and have great kids in spite of their parents and the environment they were raised in, then there are those kids who end up being criminals/drug addicts in spite of thier parents and the environment they were raised in.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:19 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
PS ~~ We taught our children not to believe everything they read on an internet forum.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:41 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
Quote:
is it here where I point out you get 1/4 of a rep point per post and I get 2? In other words, I get 800% the amount of rep points your posts do.

If the thread makes you want to barf, please feel free to remove yourself from it.

BTW: I also taught my kids to Not Apologise for having an Opinion.
How would you know?

Old 02-12-2016, 06:10 PM

15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I think people take way more credit for their children's success than they deserve. I once imagined that I would impart so much wisdom to my child...until I had one who doesn't give a rat's behind what I say or think and never has. I just think most of his personality is chemistry and genetics and has little to do with any words I might speak. So I think OP is patting herself on the back at least partly for dodging a bunch of bullets she didn't even know were flying.
Agreed. I got lucky with mine, my daughter was easy to raise, is self motivated, and has a strong character. I can't take all or even most of the credit. Same with my siblings for the most part.

People who are always ready to pat themselves on the back also then have to be willing to shoulder the blame if something goes wrong.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How would you know?
Perhaps the math you can do located in the upper right corner of a post. Not that I am saying it isn't somewhat insane to do that math. But it can be done if you are inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting