U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:02 PM
 
15,808 posts, read 13,245,149 times
Reputation: 19710

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Each of my paragraphs are exactly that. The fact they occupy 2 lines is troublesome to some, but they are STILL PARAGRAPHS, each one addressing a separate distinct point. I suppose I could write 13 lines when 2 or 3 will do...
It's ironic that you accuse other of not reading posts and then ignore specific examples given in posts you actually quite.

Anyway keep sharing those "secrets" to parenthood but maybe allow a grammar/spelling tool to be one of those secrets in future posts. At least ones where you explain how precocious you and your children are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:07 PM
 
11,928 posts, read 9,685,290 times
Reputation: 16341
Does OP want a medal or something? You raised great kids (great in your opinion)... cool. So have literally millions of others. You claim you're trying to share parenting advice but proceed to go on about how smart and wise your kids are, even from a young age. Doesn't sit well with me. Strange thread and strange posts by the original poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles>Little Rock>Houston>Little Rock
6,488 posts, read 6,629,186 times
Reputation: 17329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Does OP want a medal or something? You raised great kids (great in your opinion)... cool. So have literally millions of others. You claim you're trying to share parenting advice but proceed to go on about how smart and wise your kids are, even from a young age. Doesn't sit well with me. Strange thread and strange posts by the original poster.

Unhinged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,057 posts, read 99,087,775 times
Reputation: 31544
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hold on a minute. I HATE tats. I think they are cheap and crass and everything else but to say somebody who has them isn't intelligent is way out of line. Did you know Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers neighborhood had full sleeve tats and that is why he always wore long sleeves? My math professor in college had tats all over the place and he was one of the kindest most intelligent people I've ever known. There are scores of incredibly talented and intelligent people who have tats and plenty of stupid ones who don't.

Some of the most intelligent people in the world are just plain lazy and no amount of brains will ever change that. My own brother ranked off the charts in IQ but died drunk and in debt after 3 failed marriages, several failed careers and he never even saw his 58th birthday.

I'm glad you are proud of your children. I am proud of mine too. But I am intelligent enough to know , no matter what wonderful parents we are / were we are very lucky. I think you are throwing stones around and have hit the wrong people.
Actually, Mr. Rogers did not have tattoos. This is a long-standing urban legend. I remember when one of the doctors I worked with told us the above, then went and looked it up and found it wasn't true.
Mr. Rogers Rumor Neighborhood : snopes.com

I do agree with you that I don't like them, yet many intelligent people have them. My son-in-law has one on his leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:16 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 610,390 times
Reputation: 1730
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It's ironic that you accuse other of not reading posts and then ignore specific examples given in posts you actually quite.

Anyway keep sharing those "secrets" to parenthood but maybe allow a grammar/spelling tool to be one of those secrets in future posts. At least ones where you explain how precocious you and your children are.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:19 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 610,390 times
Reputation: 1730
Obviously I hit on a lot of nerves here.


People who think I'm Boasting when I even said I didn't set out to do what I did.


People who state I said its the One Way to raise kids when all I said was Heres My Personal Secret (after much thought btw).


People who criticize me not using paragraphs when I do; albeit shorter paragraphs than the Bible.


People who have gone to the effort to trawl through any other posts I've made on any other topic, the better to find a grammatical error or insult to drag back to this thread.






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM
 
11,928 posts, read 9,685,290 times
Reputation: 16341
The view that tattoos are trashy or that only stupid people get them or whatever is a generational thing. I find that most often, those who disapprove of tattoos are older - middle age and older. Younger people (teens, 20s, 30s today) see them as a form of art and/or self-expression. Getting a tattoo to honor a loved one or close friend is seen as a pretty normal thing to do following someone's death nowadays. It's common for tattoos to honor someone. Getting a tattoo of something that represents you or your family is also another common theme. Of course, a 90 year old could love tattoos and think they're great and a 16 year old could think they're trashy, but generally I think the attitudes regarding tattoos are a generational thing.

Get this though - people who get tattoos often know that they're in it for the long haul - while some people are idiots and get tattoos while drunk or don't think too hard about it, many more plan their design for years, think long and hard about it, and know full well what they're about to do to their bodies. To suggest those with tattoos make a rash decision and don't think about the consequences is a stupid argument. OP, your kids aren't spectacular for knowing that tattoos are a permanent decision. People who get tattoos also know this. Your kids aren't special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,057 posts, read 99,087,775 times
Reputation: 31544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Obviously I hit on a lot of nerves here.


People who think I'm Boasting when I even said I didn't set out to do what I did.


People who state I said its the One Way to raise kids when all I said was Heres My Personal Secret (after much thought btw).


People who criticize me not using paragraphs when I do; albeit shorter paragraphs than the Bible.


People who have gone to the effort to trawl through any other posts I've made on any other topic, the better to find a grammatical error or insult to drag back to this thread.






If you look at the thread title, you do believe you have "the secret" that all the rest of us poor slobs don't know about. I believe all parents want to teach their kids to think. You're not special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 04:53 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,537,447 times
Reputation: 23714
Guys...it isn't worth fighting about. If you go to some of the OP's other original post ( in "Mental Health" board), it will explain her point of view and ability to give "advice" on the topic of parenting...or anything interpersonal, really.

I wouldn't normally say this about a person with mental illness. They can be great friends, parents and partners. But someone who lists some VERY SERIOUS illnesses they have been diagnosed with and then proclaims to be the sanest person they know...well everything from that point should be taken with a grain of salt, to say the least.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 02-13-2016 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 05:12 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,435,399 times
Reputation: 32248
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
There are scores of incredibly talented and intelligent people who have tats and plenty of stupid ones who don't.
This.

I know a very intelligent guy who is a well-known, and very gifted, tattoo artist. He left the corporate grind years ago and selects who he'll ink and when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top