U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:32 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

How sweet. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:57 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,707,814 times
Sounds like your plan was genius!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:40 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
They sound just like teenagers. Eye rolling is part of their DNA.

If my mother went on a cooking strike, no one would have noticed. She didn't wash dishes either so no one would have noticed if she want on strike from that either. She didn't even do all the cooking. If she wasn't around or we didn't like what she made, we would get our own meal - sandwich, hot dog, cereal.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:13 PM

619 posts, read 323,570 times
i have and yes it works.

However, I would *never* put up with 13 YOs not helping around the house nor would i put up with attitude. i have an only child (who is now 29). I was a single parent for most of his life. He was doing chorese since he was little - I don't care if he didn't do it right or perfect. I saw it as "adult in training". he used to help me shop, bring in groceries, sort laundry etc when he was very little. as he grew older he would set the table, make salad and at some point completely took over the laundry.

at the early teen stage when he was going through a bit of attitude - i stopped driving him places, or stopped making his favorite meals, etc. there was also the one time i didn't do his laundry ad he had to go to synagogue in jeans and a polo shirt instead of slacks and a button down shirt. it only happened once. anyway, the whole "strike" period didn't last long and we got back to him doing his chores...

Old 02-14-2016, 05:58 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,295,904 times
My kids (all boys) became responsible for their own laundry (clothing and sheets) in 7-8th grade. Did their own breakfasts, sometimes lunches, and helped around house/yard on weekends. Now all but one is married, and they help their wives with it all and wives help them, You're doing the right thing for yourself and your daughters' futures also.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:02 PM

1,169 posts, read 608,427 times
I know how you feel & i sympathize with you. I wish I could get the boys to help clean but they refuse since its for "girls" lol. Whatever that means.

I would go on strike but they are so stubborn they would go hungry. That or just eat doritos.

I'm glad you had a nice valentines day! sounds like you had a great breakfast and at least the kids helped out, maybe that talk was just what they needed

Old 02-14-2016, 06:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,560,668 times
Girlfriend, you should have gone on strike the instant that boot went on. Keep up the good work.

I found that writing a list of chores and leaving it on the counter worked wonders for my kids. (Or I'll say "hey, there's a list for you on the counter". They raced to get first pick. Then they just did it. I put some jobs I knew they wouldn't do on the list, and stuff I knew they didn't really mind doing. No micromanaging on my part. No particular consequences if it doesn't get done. Now my oldest will just do the kinds of things I put on the list without being asked. I thank them profusely for any effort.

When I went on strike, I learned that they didn't really care if dinner was some stuff rolled up in a wrap. Who am I trying to impress?

If I get really busy, my youngest starts to get a little feral...eating what she can scavenge, rolling in her own waste. Then I step back in and she is actually GRATEFUL for my efforts for a change.

Your girls are just the right age. They want clean laundry? Let them do it! Fashion rules!

Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Thanks for the support. They do their own laundry and have for awhile. They will eventually do all the chores but I just wish they would do them automatically and without eye rolling or deep sighs. I guess I did the same thing at their age. Here they are enjoying kitchen chores when they were little.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:02 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
The best way to get someone to appreciate what you do is to stop doing it.

It really messes up the entitled people.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:11 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,094,894 times
I have gone on strike. Very effective, IMO. I will not take my child any place but school if she is not nice to me. She can make other arrangements or just be nice. Same thing with meals. She can be nice and eat the food I make, or get her own food. We don't keep junk food in the house, so that's not an alternative. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or