U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 02-21-2016, 11:43 AM
2,008 posts, read 2,054,583 times
Reputation: 3072


you should look up resources in your state and talk to a family lawyer, not just a social worker. Legal aid offices in lots of places do family law and the kids need reprsentation. I don't think the SM/F can just take the kids without a court order. You need to decide - are you strong enough to stand up to them now or not? Won't you feel more guilt if you don't? If you just type in your state and "family law and legal aid" you might get to an org that can help. Otherwise, start with your state's bar organization and look on that site. You may even be able to ask a judge to appoint a guardian for the kids, but I'm not sure I would do that without meeting with a lawyer first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:25 PM
Location: Southern Oregon
2,833 posts, read 4,022,287 times
Reputation: 2997
A lawyer will run you about 3500.00 to handle this issue. There are steps you can take with minimum cash out lay. First, where are the children's father, is he involved in their lives, does he provide support for the children? If the answer is no to all three questions then the process will be easier than if he was involved in their lives.

If the mother of the children will agree to guardianship then is is just a matter of the judge signing the court order. You can also do a simple Power of Attorney which will only be temporary, normally for 180 days. The SM/F have no say so in this matter at all, this is solely between you and your sister.

If your going for guardianship, then you can normally go to your "Probate court" and ask them for the legal documents to file for "Guardianship of a minor child" they normally have them and will charge you a small fee for the documents, fill out the documents and have the mother of the children sign, this will have to be done at a notary. Then submit the documents to the probate court and pay their filing fee, in about a weeks time you will receive legal documents assigning you guardianship. If it is contested by any party involve legally with the children then a hearing will be set.

Check with your states laws requarding this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top