Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:50 PM

530 posts, read 1,163,637 times

Advertisements

Have you tried asking your ss about sexual abuse? If you haven't already, it would be helpful to ask if someone is touching him in his private parts etc. I think it would be much easier to get somewhere with CPS if your ss said something about abuse. Without that, you don't have a "smoking gun" so to speak. If you look at sites about child abuse, they talk about meeting certain criteria to warrant an investigation, and it looks like you are missing the fifth criteria:

What Criteria Must be Met? — Child Abuse Reporting

Without something pointing to abuse, there may be an assumption that the child is mentally ill or something along those lines.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:59 PM

388 posts, read 686,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
Have you tried asking your ss about sexual abuse? If you haven't already, it would be helpful to ask if someone is touching him in his private parts etc. I think it would be much easier to get somewhere with CPS if your ss said something about abuse. Without that, you don't have a "smoking gun" so to speak. If you look at sites about child abuse, they talk about meeting certain criteria to warrant an investigation, and it looks like you are missing the fifth criteria:

What Criteria Must be Met? — Child Abuse Reporting

Without something pointing to abuse, there may be an assumption that the child is mentally ill or something along those lines.
Thank you for this. Truly. I don't come right out and ask for a few reasons, mainly because of my experience with sexually abused children and also my own experience. I blocked a lot of mine out so it isn't always obvious to children.
But here are my reasons:
- In the event, we ever go to court, I don't want myself or my husband to ever be accused of prompting him.
- I don't want to ask him, thus being something he can lie about in the future (though, time and time again, it is shown children rarely lie)

We have questioned the mental illness, which is why it has been reported to family services that his mother refuses to provide mental health care. No one seems to care unfortunately.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
Maybe you should call the police and tell them you are scared he will hurt someone at school.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:11 PM

388 posts, read 686,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Maybe you should call the police and tell them you are scared he will hurt someone at school.
This is something I have not thought of before. There is a tip line for the district. Maybe I should call that. They alert the authorities and it is anonymous.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:29 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Have you talked to a psychiatrist abiut this at all? I understand your husband can't take SS to therapy you and him could talk with one about his behavior and your concerns.

If he ever starts making violent threats, physical aggression etc... I'd either call the cops if he's threatening to hurt others or take him to the ER for a psych eval if he's threatening to hurt himself.

I'm not sure what state you're in but if 211 is available I'd call them they're a great resource for this type of situation.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:39 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You may not be aware of this, but in some/many schools repeatedly sending a student or students to the office can get a teacher in serious trouble if not actually fired. That could be the reason that he is not being sent to see the principal or counselor.

In some schools teachers can also get into trouble if they make too many referrals for special education programs. That may explain why he has not been referred for classes for behavior problems/emotional disabilities/behavioral disabilities.
^^This. Does the principal know that you have made CPS calls? Does the principal know about the conduct card?

Old 02-14-2016, 03:50 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Personally, I wouldn't show up to any school meeting without an attorney at my side and I would do whatever it took to hire one.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
Thank you for this. Truly. I don't come right out and ask for a few reasons, mainly because of my experience with sexually abused children and also my own experience. I blocked a lot of mine out so it isn't always obvious to children.
But here are my reasons:
- In the event, we ever go to court, I don't want myself or my husband to ever be accused of prompting him.
- I don't want to ask him, thus being something he can lie about in the future (though, time and time again, it is shown children rarely lie)

We have questioned the mental illness, which is why it has been reported to family services that his mother refuses to provide mental health care. No one seems to care unfortunately.
Smart! btdt

Old 02-14-2016, 04:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
OP I'm not a parent so this may sound callous, but you need to back off. You will feel better mentally and emotionally when you realize that this is Not Your Son. So you can relax and let your husband take care of this to the best of his ability. It sounds stressful and I'm not sure why this is your stress.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:00 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't show up to any school meeting without an attorney at my side and I would do whatever it took to hire one.
Why? How is that going to help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting