U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:19 PM

24,483 posts, read 28,837,213 times

Advertisements

Babies don't need stimulation beyond looking at them, smiling, playing peek-a-boo... We did use Baby Einstein but only so I could maintain my sanity and get dinner made. I never expected it to teach him anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:25 PM

16,529 posts, read 16,041,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Scientific studies have observed mothers with their infants and toddlers and counted the average words spoken to the child every day. Then they wait and see how the child grows and observe their educational outcomes. Children who heard the most words spoken every day, especially if they were read to, had the best educational outcomes. Baby Einstein and the like doesn't do anything except for hold the child's attention long enough for mommy to go pee and make a bottle.

If you want the best for your baby, talk to her a lot, and read to her a lot. And play. With things that don't flash or make noise, things that require manipulation and creativity. Melissa and Doug toys are great for this.

Good luck!

Great post!

I complete agree (BTW, I'm a mom, grandma, retired early childhood special education teacher with a master's degree in early childhood development).

Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,855,378 times
I currently have custody of a child whose parents were convinced that Baby Einstein would make their kid a genius. They plopped him down in front of that DVD and spent no time doing the old fashioned just being with your baby. I can't even tell you how screwed up he was and still is.
Please if you love your baby ditch the dvds and any thing meant to replace parental attention. Because attention, interaction they work, new fangled crap they are trying to sell you is just fool's gold.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:34 PM

16,529 posts, read 16,041,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I purchased nothing.

What I did do, was spend all of my time with my infants and toddlers. I did not work outside of the home, and if you have that choice - take it! You will never get this time back!

My suggestions are pretty old school - but they worked. Read to them! Even infants are fascinated by words. Books like "Pat the Bunny" are well loved for a reason. There is a tactile component to them, as well as a verbal component. Don't be afraid to read books that are a tad ahead of your child's age. Books that have rhymes and repetition work well. Colorful pictures are a hit.

I also started early on alphabet books of the "A is for apple" variety.

Music! Play any thing you like - and if you don't like Classical music, throw some in anyway. Try Bach. I played everything from the Ramones and Jonathan Richman ("Ice Cream Man" was a big hit with my son) which are simple and repetitive, to modern jazz, experimental music, Reggae, Rap, and Stravinsky. And DANCE to that music!

Sing with you child! Sing the songs, and recite the rhymes that were sung to you. Eeentsy Weenstsy Spider, This Little Piggie, and other traditional songs that are both verbal and physical - are stimulating and are big hits! They love Peek a boo! (sorry for any spelling errors - I have never written these songs, they are oral traditions)

Get down on the floor and PLAY! Blocks and building - both of my children enjoyed my simple wooden building blocks that I had saved all of the years. Let them build and knock it down and build again! Play cars and trucks with them! YES - with your daughter too! Roll the ball back and forth. Crawl around the floor and imitate different animals.

Draw and paint! We had fun making finger paints at home (easy non toxic recipes are available online) Making them was as fun and educational as using them! Make Play Dough - or buy it. DON'T worry if they mix the colors! That's part of the fun.

LIMIT TV!!! If you are going to spend time with your baby, putting them in a baby chair or a play pen while you chat on the phone or go online dors NOT count as "time with mommy".
When you do watch TV - and you will, limit cartoons. I did out of instinct. Then I read something that backed up my instincts. When I grew up, cartoons were available on Saturday AM and perhaps for an hour a day. Now it is possible to watch cartoons ALL DAY LONG.

We watched more live action television and videos, that featured children or animals. My children liked "Veggie Tales" also. It's Christian, based, but very well done, and funny.

Some cartoon classics are wonderful! Disney's "Fantasia" combines brilliant animation with classical music. That animated movie is still a favorite with my children who are now in college.

Take walks and enjoy nature! When weather permits - go outside! Talk and narrate what is there. Name the flowers and trees! Point out the birds - "There's a blue jay" "Look at the robin red breast!" And animals "See the bunny rabbit!" "Look! the squirrel is climbing the tree!" Using "baby words" is not a bad thing. It eases children into language.
Play in the snow! Visit a lake and or a beach! Make a pile of leaves and jump in them!

After all of this, they will be very, very tired. Make bath time fun with a collection of toys. Let them splash and make a mess! It's only water.

At bed time read them a story, and sing them a song. They love repetition.It is comforting.My children both enjoyed "Good Night Moon" at bed time.

And remember, always kiss them good night!

Now, I am feeling nostalgic and a little homesick for a time that sped by too fast. Both of my children are 700 and 900 miles away at home, in college. They are not huggable babies or toddlers with chubby cheeks and baggy Osh Kosh overalls. They are smart and verbal young adults who wear skinny jeans and have many strange and wonderful opinions. They are compassionate and involved in helping others, saving the planet and the world. Hugs are brief and bony. They love to talk though.

Now they point things out to me. It can be interesting. It can be awful. But they are awesome and funny people, who are confident, idealistic and accomplished.

I miss them so much, I will love them forever.

Sorry, when I wrote this, I was not expecting all of this emotion to well up inside, and spill on to my keyboard. But, it did.

Excellent post.

I will add a laugh to this thread. When my children were young we limited their viewing of M-TV (music videos) to one hour every Saturday. One day my youngest, perhaps 5 or 6 years old, overheard my husband and I discussing that the American Medical Association was saying how bad it was for children to have excessive exposure to M-TV. She scoffed at that and said "How could something that is on TV only one hour a week cause that much harm to children?" My daughter, obviously, had no idea that it was on 24 hours a day, every single day.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:37 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,511,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Baby Einstein is not a good way to go. Your baby should not have any screen time until they are 2 years old or older according to the APA

Baby Einsteins: Not So Smart After All - TIME
Did you know they recently changed those guidelines? Not that I disagree with the original ones but they did.

Forbes Welcome

Old 02-16-2016, 10:29 PM

15,331 posts, read 16,920,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Did you know they recently changed those guidelines? Not that I disagree with the original ones but they did.

Forbes Welcome
Well, I think that kids under 2 anyway certainly don't need screen time. Toddlers need face to face interaction, not screens. Note that we now have children in our schools who have no idea how to play or how to interact with other people. I do think this comes from allowing so much screen time. Kids in preschool often only play what they saw on tv instead of using their imaginations on real scenarios.

Screens are not *bad,* but they should be limited and kids should have time to play and pretend.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 PM

17,679 posts, read 21,872,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Excellent post.

I will add a laugh to this thread. When my children were young we limited their viewing of M-TV (music videos) to one hour every Saturday. One day my youngest, perhaps 5 or 6 years old, overheard my husband and I discussing that the American Medical Association was saying how bad it was for children to have excessive exposure to M-TV. She scoffed at that and said "How could something that is on TV only one hour a week cause that much harm to children?" My daughter, obviously, had no idea that it was on 24 hours a day, every single day.
That's hysterically funny!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 AM

195 posts, read 148,137 times
Tasers!

Old 02-18-2016, 02:55 PM

462 posts, read 303,539 times
I agree face to face interaction is best, basically you need to put in the time playing with your baby. we used Baby Einstein a little bit as a change of pace, it really didn't seem to make a huge difference, our son was pretty social anyway.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:24 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,141,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

Forbes Welcome

Thank you for posting that! I like the new guidelines quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting