Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,233 times

Advertisements

My son is 13, and he is in the process of moving from a mental health program back into his school. He's never liked his school, but unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it. I thought it would be easier after he finished the program, but he seems to be struggling a lot.

When he was nearing the end of the program, he was doing really well. He was catching up on his homework and keeping track of his own medication. The first few days at school went well for him. He seemed happy, and he kept telling me how he didn't know how many people had missed him, and he felt like he had a lot of friends.

On Friday, he came home from school happy and energetic but by dinner time he was miserable. He refused to eat. Eventually I got him to eat a little, and I asked what had happened. He told me nothing had changed. The whole weekend, he refused to do his homework and he barely got out of bed. Tonight, he has been crying and refusing to take his medicine or shower. I have tried everything I could to help him, but no matter what he won't leave his room.

I know how hard it is for him, and I am trying to be patient but more than anything I just want him to be happy. If anyone has been through something like this, it would be nice to have some advice...

Edit: He was diagnosed with depression. The program wasn't really very good about communicating with parents, but they had me take a class on the skills he has learned. I've tried everything I learned in that class, but tonight it hasn't worked.

Last edited by lee606; 02-15-2016 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I would think the mental health program would have given you a protocol to follow and a contact person to call about situations like this?

The best advice would be given with his diagnosis in mind (which I am NOT asking for ), and we are not really equipped to offer that.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 PM

I fixed it, I think. I would be thankful for literally any advice

Old 02-15-2016, 09:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Have you spoken to the counselor at the school?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM

Yeah, we talk almost every day. My son has been doing really well until now, and I can't contact the counselor until tomorrow afternoon. I think my best bet is to wait it out

Old 02-16-2016, 01:25 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Have you considered homeschooling?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Have you considered homeschooling?

Frankly, I doubt that isolating a lonely, depressed teenager at home would be the correct way to help him.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:51 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Eh, my homeschooled kids get a surprising amount of interaction with other teens. Many kids do much better once taken out of the school environment.

That's not to say that homeschooling is the right answer for the OP's son, though. What does he say would make school easier? Is he struggling with the work, or the teachers, or the other kids or what? Is a different school an option? What about an online school? Maybe he needs a new psychiatrist or his meds need tweaking. If you aren't happy with the doctors at his program, can you get a referral for a different one? It seems like you need to contact a medical mental health professional.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
He may be overwhelmed with the return to public school. There is probably a lot of noise and changing from classroom to classroom, need to reintegrate with friends and teachers, answer questions re "what happened" and "where have you been". He should probably stay home until you can speak to the counselor; a meltdown at school would be devastating. His medication may need adjusting, and you may simply be forced to make other school arrangements in the end, It sounds like he really gave it his all this week, and he's fortunate to have such a caring parent. My best wishes to you both.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:11 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Did you get/do a IEP before you re-integrated him back to school?

Going from a 1:1 / Small group classes to the "chaos" that can be normal middle school environment.

He moved from a Highly structured environment to one that while structured has a lot of freedom, and many different personalities involved. The 1st few day he was "Missed / New Kid" to now things are expected to just fit in with his classmates, doing things they have done for months, where he does not know the routine.

You should work out a IEP with is school, and his Mental Health team from his "old" school. Just tossing him into the Deep End was not fair to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting