U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 05:15 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Depends on their schedules. We'd still all go to both games, if possible. If not, we'd each take one. It doesn't matter what sport they're doing. It would work the same way. The only thing that would change is the maybe 1 time/year that they both now play in the same tourney.
I'm curious how it affects family time when one child is in an ultracompetitive involved sport like swimming or soccer and the other is not. Again, more curiosity than anything because we were never able to do more than intramural or league sports due to conflicting schedules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:27 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,062,520 times
My son is on a competitive league and travels once or twice per month. My daughter's hobbies are things like art class, dance class and pottery. We make it work. Usually my husband takes my son on the weekends that he needs to travel, and occasionally we'll send DS off with a friend's family. We also manage to take a couple of weekend trips for all of us and one bigger family vacation each year. This year, we'll be going to California; DS's competition will take up three of the days (though DD and I will do some exploring for two of those days, most likely), but we'll also be in Las Vegas for a couple of days and will spend a few days visiting family. And I usually take DD away just the two of us for one or two weekends per year; earlier this year, we did a day at Disney World. Last year we did the same, but she was able to bring a friend, and we also went to a spa hotel for a night another time.

I do sometimes worry that DD gets the short end of the stick when a lot revolves around her brother, but then again, she gets enrichment classes that he doesn't and she's not interested in an activity that would have her traveling. I think it works out fairly. We also homeschool, so our time is very flexible.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm curious how it affects family time when one child is in an ultracompetitive involved sport like swimming or soccer and the other is not. Again, more curiosity than anything because we were never able to do more than intramural or league sports due to conflicting schedules.
I imagine we would either still all go, if the non-involved kid was interested in going, or one parent would go and we'd switch off. Their schedules sometimes conflict now and we just divide and conquer for the day.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:10 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,504,080 times
Having it all is too much work, and I already have a full time job. So, in a nutshell, no thanks. It would suck for me.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,983,848 times
Quote:
In our family, it meant there was basically no family time. My oldest sister and I (not close in age) both played softball very competitively (in an area and era where it was an extremely big deal), while my middle sister (very close in age to me) did not. She was routinely left out, ignored by our parents, etc. Sure, part of it was just because of our parents, but a big part of it was due to the working schedules of our parents and sport schedules of us (mainly me).

Old 02-27-2016, 09:44 AM

27,240 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The fact that the mommy wars even exist and are still worthy of a 45-page thread on a public forum means that we will never "have it all." Even when a mom does successfully balance a career with childrearing, there are people looking down on her, saying "well, she obviously puts money before her kids' well-being."

For the record, I stayed home full-time until my kids were about 5 and 7, then I started an at-home business, which I still work at now (from home). My kids also homeschool. So believe me, I fully embrace the benefits of having a mom in the house, even with teenagers. But that does not mean that the complete opposite does not work better in another family.

All of this bickering is so ridiculous; no one ever says, "oh wow, that dad really must not care about his kids, being that he's out of the house at work 40 hours per week AND plays golf twice a month on Saturdays!" The pearl-clutching is absurd. Children can and do thrive with at-home moms, with working moms, and everything in between. And moms should feel as though they have legitimate choices in the matter. Very few dads are expected to "do it all," and moms shouldn't be, either. But alas... the inequality exists.
Amen Sista!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Question: Do you have other children? If so, what did they do on all of these weekends? I'm just curious.
I had only one. Many of the families I knew with multiple kids - were all swimmers so they were all traveling (but not always at the same time or place). The parents split up.

Other families with multiple kids - again the parents usually split up. Not always. Sometimes Mom would come for one day and maybe bring the kids and go home that evening. Then Dad would come and stay the other two days. I am sure it took some scheduling and juggling. I always knew the kids even if they weren't swimmers which would suggest the brothers and sisters often came along even if only for a day.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:14 AM

56 posts, read 23,612 times
It is said that we are living in a society where man and woman are seen equally but this is not the case. As it was discussed in this thread woman need to work for the home, it creates more burden. For taking care of their children both the Parents Need to help each other and do their duty. In this way, the burden will be less upon one no matter if it is a man or woman.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 AM

11,229 posts, read 9,228,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A very honest and thorough look at what "having it all" looks like today. I feel sorry for younger women in our society. No- or little- maternity leave, full expectations at home and work to never let a ball drop, little family support, financial demands, and criticism from others(mostly other women) no matter what women choose all face women who want a family and want/have to work.

Having It All Kinda Sucks
I'm sorry but this is bull****. Don't choose this, and you won't get this. We ARE society. What we choose is what we get. First, we need to raise our kids not to give a rats patootie about "criticism from others". Secondly we have to teach them to set effective limits so that they are not caring for a useless partner in the adult years. Third we need to teach them how to make decisions based on the facts before them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or