U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:22 PM

8,124 posts, read 5,699,713 times

Advertisements

I was on the bus nearly every day for 30-60 minutes each way when I was a kid. Me and all my friends survived it. We'd talk, harass each other, sleep or do homework. We made friends on the bus and met kids in other parts of the neighborhood we might not have known.

Unless the other kids on the bus are dangerous, I don't see what the problem is. I personally view this trend towards protecting kids from school bus rides as another example of how helicopter parents are raising soft, entitled kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 04:14 PM

153 posts, read 243,820 times
My kindergartener is a car rider (to beforecare) in the morning and goes to the on-campus daycare after school. Next year we may allow her to ride the bus. However, we live a mile and a half from school, two bus routes come by our house (only one neighborhood isn't bussed because the school is on a major street) and the bus picks up at 7:25 for an 8:15 start.

I usually drive her to school a little earlier than that and drop her off at the beforecare so I can get to work earlier.

That early, I wouldn't do it. Honestly, there's no way I could wake her up and get her out the door at that time of the morning, she frequently sleeps until 7 am and she needs that sleep.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:47 AM

875 posts, read 643,986 times
My kids ride the bus to school, but it's very convenient. The bus shows up right in front of our house at about 8:40 a.m. and it's about a 15 minute drive to school (if there were no stops). School starts at 9:15 a.m. If I were to drive them myself, I'd have to leave by 8:55 in order to be sure they got there on time. Driving just to let them have an extra 15 minutes in the morning makes no sense to me, so bus it is. They enjoy the social aspect, though, so it works out well for everyone.

If riding the bus meant my child lost an hour each morning, the way the OP's child does, it would suddenly be a whole lot less appealing. I might still allow it, if the child really wanted to do it, but I suspect that the novelty would wear off quickly when they realized that riding the bus = earlier bedtime.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,954,304 times
So I talked to the kids about it and they said they prefer to sleep the extra hour instead of take the bus to school. They are used to me driving them anyway, so it's not really any different than what we have always done. And since our new house is closer to the school than our old house, they can actually get about 10 minutes extra in the morning compared to at our old house. I guess that is more appealing than taking the bus! At least they will be able to take the bus to summer camp for the 5 weeks in the summer that they will go (the camp bus picks up very close to my job, so that works out conveniently for us).

Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
So I talked to the kids about it and they said they prefer to sleep the extra hour instead of take the bus to school. They are used to me driving them anyway, so it's not really any different than what we have always done. And since our new house is closer to the school than our old house, they can actually get about 10 minutes extra in the morning compared to at our old house. I guess that is more appealing than taking the bus! At least they will be able to take the bus to summer camp for the 5 weeks in the summer that they will go (the camp bus picks up very close to my job, so that works out conveniently for us).
I'd choose sleep too

Old 02-20-2016, 07:34 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
My oldest took a bus at 6:45 all four years of high school. The middle one's bus comes to our house at 6:30. It's horribly early, I agree. The sun doesn't even come up until 7 this time of the year, so it's dark outside in the pit of winter. It stinks but I am not driving them every day. I have to be home so the youngest gets out the door by 7:30, for one thing.

High school starts at 8 a.m., but the early buses get students there by 7:15. There are many clubs that meet before school, and teachers have open workshops for all the core classes for those who need help with last night's homework or understanding a new topic.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:29 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,229,345 times
You've already solved this, but in different years/schools/locations, we did different things. In one of our districts, we had to pay to use the school bus. We paid for a few years and then not other years when dropping them off coincided with my work schedule. When we paid, they had to leave very early and get to school early (but we also lived 30 miles from school).

When we moved to a different state, I was thrilled that the bus was free The bus always got them there early enough to eat breakfast and socialize with friends before school. They liked that. Now they walk to school, and they always leave early enough to eat breakfast at school and socialize. In your case, I would go with what they want since it's convenient for you and it's what the kids would prefer. And that you did

Old 02-22-2016, 08:41 PM

30 posts, read 14,043 times
Due to our school moving across post, our bus now comes at 0700 for a 0745 start. My son gets to school at 0725 and they have time to read, draw, play, eat breakfast if they want, etc.

Is the pickup time early? Heck yes. But if given a choice between rousting his sisters out of bed, dressing them, and bundling them in the car so we can go drive across post (15-20 min drive depending on traffic) and then creep up in the drop-off line... Sorry, little man... your tush is getting up at Reveille and will be on the bus.

Next year when we are in KCMO, they're either going to walk or ride the bus, depending on the school they are in. Mami's pagan wagon isn't going to be in the drop-off line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting