U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,956,329 times

Advertisements

At our school, there are only 2 bus routes, so like 95% of the kids get dropped off as car riders, which is what we have done for the past 5 years. We just moved into a new house. My kids (1st and 4th grade) are able to continue at the same school, but our new house is on a school bus route. I called to have them added for bus pick up and the kids were excited because in our school it is a novelty to be able to take the bus. The school bus is going to come at 6:35am though, which is just way too early. I can leave the house at 7:35 to drive them and they will still have plenty of time before the late bell rings at 7:55. The school is about 8 minutes drive from our house, and is more-or-less on the way to work for me anyway. So I'm inclined to just continue to drive them to school in the morning. They won't take the bus in the afternoon either way because they go to onsite aftercare.

What would you do - send them on the bus or continue to drive them?
Do your kids take the bus or do you drop them off or something else (ie walk)?
If bus, what time do they get picked up by the bus? How long does the bus ride take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM

39,089 posts, read 37,733,259 times
Wait ... they would be on the bus for an HOUR to go about 10 miles???

Old 02-16-2016, 12:04 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,605,111 times
My son took the bus, which came at 6:50AM.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The school is only 3.6 miles away. It just takes 8 minutes to drive there because of two long stop lights.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM

9,004 posts, read 16,139,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Its One of the 1st stops as the bus winds its way slowly back toward the school at 20mph, stopping every Thousand feet or so to pick someone up, (Each stop takes about 2 minutes or so) to Slow, Stop, wait for Red lights to be effective, kids cross, get on bus, seated, Resume Trip... Stop ... resume ... Stop ... Resume, 20+ times.)

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM

39,089 posts, read 37,733,259 times
My kids have always taken the bus, which comes around 6:40, so the early pick-up doesn't bother me as much as the length of time they would be on the bus.

To me, that's way too long for a 1st-grader.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Its One of the 1st stops as the bus winds its way slowly back toward the school at 20mph, stopping every Thousand feet or so to pick someone up, (Each stop takes about 2 minutes or so) to Slow, Stop, wait for Red lights to be effective, kids cross, get on bus, seated, Resume Trip... Stop ... resume ... Stop ... Resume, 20+ times.)
Yes, we must be towards the beginning of the route is my guess. My understanding is that the route starts out close to the school and goes north a ways then loops back and comes back south again on a different road. I guess it would be better to be on the end of the loop instead of the beginning!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:21 PM

9,004 posts, read 16,139,085 times
For my Son 4/5th Grade He took Bus to school, Our SubDivision was the last stop before school. (After SchoolCare For all of 4th Grade, and 2 days a week 5th Grade). 1st stop on Afternoon. ~5 mins

Middle School, Bus Was middle of route stop, But I literally Drove past the Middle School so on my way to work, to I would drop him off, He liked the Chill time @ Breakfast in the Cafeteria with his friends. Would pick him up after school about 50% of the time, 50% he would take bus home. (Depending on my work schedule). ~20 mins

High School,

Freshman year Would Drop him off (Also on way to work), Would sometimes take bus home, Sometimes would have after school activities, or I would pick him up, about 1/3 each. -Middle of Bus routes. ~20 Mins

Sophomore/Junior/Senior Years (Different HS Not on my route to work), Bus most of the time in both directions, On Rare occasions I would let him drive to school, but not often. (1 car family then). ~40-60 mins

Last edited by flyonpa; 02-16-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,903,265 times
My daughter's bus comes at 6:52am and they get to school between 7:20-7:25am. I think that's way too early as we're just over 2 miles from the school, and school doesn't start until 7:45 so I kept asking for them to adjust the routes out 10 minutes.

However, after several calls to the transportation people, she finally explained they have to pick up early because the kids have to be at school by 7:20 ish for the ones who get low-income, free breakfast. I told her she could adjust the routes for those people, as they know who they are, but seeing as the bus comes to about 7 streets in my neighborhood and about 5 streets across the street in a neighboring community, I know there are no low income kids on the bus. It bottom-lined that each bus has to be treated equal so all kids have the chance to eat breakfast at school, low income or otherwise.

She wants to take the bus and wake up early, as I've asked her several times if she wants me to take her. She likes the social aspect of it. She's in 2nd grade and has ridden the bus since Kinder, though the bus used to come at 7:10 in Kinder, 7:05 in 1st grade, and now the 6:52am... though it came at 6:45 for the 2 years before she started Kinder.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:08 PM

56 posts, read 36,175 times
Having lived in CA where there are no school buses, (and now living in TN where there is) I LOVE the school bus! One of the main reasons we moved was because the elementary school was 45 minutes one way and an hour back home. We loved the school (immersion program we had to apply for) but after a year of the commute, it got to be too much.

So it's so cool the kids can take the bus. School bell rings at 8:35am. They get picked up at 8am. If I drive, it takes about 15-20 minutes. But it's so much easier to not have to deal with the car line, and then driving to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting