U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:58 AM

875 posts, read 644,655 times

Advertisements

I've used various tricks with my kids, some of which work with some of them but not with others, or only work some of the time, but not always.

1. Fun toothbrush with automatic light timer. The light flashes on the toothbrush for 1-2 minutes, and when it stops flashing, that's when you know you're done.

2. "You go first, and then I'll do a checker." Checkers are also appropriate for butt-wiping.

3. Make it silly. "Okay, it's time to brush your ears! Let's go, ears!" and make goofy buzzing sounds while moving toothbrush back and forth near ears. Also, especially for preschool boys, "Super Mega Hero Toothbrush, out to save the world!" and make swooping sounds as the toothbrush dives into the Canyon of DOOM.

4. "I know you are MUCH too little to brush the back of your teeth. There's just NO WAY you could brush your teeth for TWENTY WHOLE SECONDS. No way!" and then act upset every 4-5 seconds as you see that they are in fact brushing.

5. Get some little kid books about brushing teeth or going to the dentist. There's a Dora the Explorer one that my kids enjoyed. Talk about the importance of fighting the "sugar bugs" on their teeth, and do it at times when you're not under pressure to brush theirs.

6. Model good teeth brushing habits. Make a big deal out of how great it feels to have clean teeth, how happy you are that you're fighting the evil sugar bugs.

7. One of my kids (toddler boy) actually did like me to pin him down on his back, and brush teeth. I guess you could say it was forced, but he enjoyed wrestling, so it was also part of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 05:52 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,267,174 times
Allow child to brush your teeth while you brush his.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 PM

3,192 posts, read 9,240,307 times
I show mine my cavities/fillings and tell her she will get holes in her teeth if she doesn't. She rushes to brush them now!

Old 02-25-2016, 12:24 PM

752 posts, read 536,944 times
Electric toothbrush was a great motivator.

I also got her lots of books and DVDs that have characters brushing their teeth, so she can see it as a common thing. One good book was about a tooth fairy that collects teeth. I kept telling her how she should polish her teeth to keep them "pretty" so that the tooth fairy will be impressed when she collects them. She knew she had to brush to prevent cavities, but I encouraged her to brush "extra" to make sure her teeth would be pretty and shiny . That was motivating.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:26 PM

6,450 posts, read 6,464,610 times
I bought a toothbrush that played a song and she had to brush till the song stopped...it worked when she was really little but when she got older she was just told to brush them or else...lol...but 2 is a hard age...can't reason with them...the one that wears the diapers rules...

Old 02-27-2016, 05:03 PM

4,117 posts, read 3,457,522 times
Get battery operated toothbrushes. Kids love rhem.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:11 PM

27 posts, read 17,316 times
I do something really weird when they wont let me help them brush. I tell my 2 year old triplets that I think I see a doggy in the back of their mouth and I have to take a look to see if the doggy is ok. WORKS EVERY SINGLE TIME. I am sure it would work with anything else they may like too but one day that just came out of my mouth and it's worked ever since.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:12 PM

27 posts, read 17,316 times
Sonderella - I love your suggestions..you sound like a sweet Mama!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:06 AM

20 posts, read 16,436 times
My 2 pence:
Doing it with them at the same time or letting them seeing you do it.
Sticking to a routine, needs to become expected daily or whatever - electric toothbrush definitely makes it fun!

Biggest step change for us was when we watched a video on youtube of Elmo doing his brush brush brushy brush dance/song. If your child knows Elmo this catchy song* just about makes you brush your teeth without trying
(google elmo brush your teeth song)

*be warned you won't be able to unlearn or un-hear this song once you've heard it and it may remain stuck in your head for a prolonged period of time beyond being useful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or