U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Practice Gender Neutral Parenting (Select all that Apply)
Yes, I Practice Gender Neutral Parenting 8 11.27%
No, I do Not Practice Gender Neutral Parenting 21 29.58%
Yes, I Practice Gender Neutral Parenting - My Children are All Boys 0 0%
No, I do Not Practice Gender Neutral Parenting - My Children are All Boys 10 14.08%
Yes, I Practice Gender Neutral Parenting - My Children are All Girls 6 8.45%
No, I do Not Practice Gender Neutral Parenting - My Children are All Girls 7 9.86%
Yes, I Practice Gender Neutral Parenting - My Children are Both Boys and Girls 5 7.04%
No, I do Not Practice Gender Neutral Parenting - My Children are Both Boys and Girls 22 30.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 PM

322 posts, read 460,421 times

Advertisements

I do not practice gender neutral parenting, however as my children get older and grow their interests, I try to oblige all of their interests, whatever they may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM

752 posts, read 536,700 times
When my daughter was young, I bought her a wide variety of toys, including toys that were stereotyped for one gender or the other. As she grew older, I noticed that she showed a strong preference for stereotypical girl toys, and played very little with stereotypical boy toys (except for science and building toys, but I never understood why people labeled them as boy toys anyway). I don't like to waste money or space on things she won't play with much, so I stopped buying toys out of the "boy" aisles. Now I do all her gift shopping in the "girl" aisles and the "educational toy" aisles.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:39 PM

6,449 posts, read 6,463,207 times
I did not consciously practice it aside from the fact that I wanted my daughter to play the sport not cheer lead on the side...she is a very alpha female (21) probably from having an older brother and playing with all boys...never told her to "act like a young lady"...just be respectful and polite...

Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 PM

99 posts, read 60,794 times
I have never pushed my kids one way or another. That being said, I have 3 daughters and 1 son, and from birth they were very different. My girls were more social and smiled a lot and gazed at me. I could barely get my son to look at me. He was much more impulsive, active, and destructive. He was always throwing and smashing things. I don't buy the whole "blank slate, you can raise them to be whomever you want" theory. I believe most of who a child becomes is nature!

That being said, having 3 big sisters my son was put in tutus, had bows put in his hair, had his nails painted, and even had his legs shaved once by a preteen sister (which he enjoyed!) His favorite color is pink. Otherwise, he's like any other little boy. He didn't grow up damaged by the experience, and still prefers being rough and tumble with the guys.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,717,303 times
I've never made gender a big deal. Hubs like comic book stuff so for the first couple of years most of my daughter's toys were traditionally boy-ish. Then she hit the princes phase. Honestly though, she likes both boy and girl stuff but gravitates towards pink and purples. Since she has started preschool, however, she's acutely aware of boys vs girls. She'll say so-and-so is a boy, so-and-so is a girl, x toy is for boys, x toy is for a girl and so on. We've never taught it to her but she's figured it out herself.

My son is 1 and most of his toys are hand-me-downs from big sis. We have a lot of boy stuff but there's plenty of girl stuff that we let him play with so it'll be interesting to see what he gravitates towards as he gets a little older.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:55 AM

579 posts, read 554,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Do you practice gender neutral parenting?
I try, but I know I am not perfect. I have a daughter and a son. I let them live their lives. They get the same rules.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:59 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,975,543 times
I let them decide what toys to play with. I have girls, they play with cars, draw, color, play minecraft, stuffed animals. Never were into dolls. Love pink and purple and dresses. They decided what colors their rooms should be. One wantes pink and green. We made it work.

I don't think of it as gender neutral, just parenting

Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,902 times
I watched my sister parent her kids in a gender neutral way. I watched as her beautiful youngest daughter became so confused about her gender ID due to being given a short 'neutral' haircut, GN clothes and even a GN name, that as a teenager she ended up taking hormones, growing a beard changing her name to a boys name and estranging herself from the family. So sad.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:01 AM

15,294 posts, read 16,849,408 times
Ugh

Old 03-18-2016, 01:46 PM

13,379 posts, read 7,140,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I've never made gender a big deal. Hubs like comic book stuff so for the first couple of years most of my daughter's toys were traditionally boy-ish. Then she hit the princes phase. Honestly though, she likes both boy and girl stuff but gravitates towards pink and purples. Since she has started preschool, however, she's acutely aware of boys vs girls. She'll say so-and-so is a boy, so-and-so is a girl, x toy is for boys, x toy is for a girl and so on. We've never taught it to her but she's figured it out herself.

My son is 1 and most of his toys are hand-me-downs from big sis. We have a lot of boy stuff but there's plenty of girl stuff that we let him play with so it'll be interesting to see what he gravitates towards as he gets a little older.
Just to be clear, there is no inborn "princess stage". That is something completely fabricated by marketers with a little push from Disney. There was Disney in the 70's too, and some princesses but there was not ONE girl who had to wear pink sparkly clothes every day or else have a fit....NOW look at all the girls doing so...

Sure, girls and boys figure out that they are boys and girls...and we all learn society's rules. That says nothing about whether those rules mean much of anything. The problem is believing they are actually rules versus something that can and should be broken as desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or