U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,495,299 times

Advertisements

<delete>

The sooner you get your wife comfortable with firearms, the better. It's your livelihood and safe gun handling is likely a priority for you. Same goes for your child. While too young now, teaching them about firearms safety will serve them throughout their lifetime. It will also help them not fear guns as your wife does.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-25-2016 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,955,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
You just knew this was going to bring out the anti-gun nuts.
And especially the pro-gun nuts. It's obvious to everyone with common sense that parenting and guns don't mix. This is the parenting forum. The proper place to preach in favor of guns is the gun nut forum.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,512,408 times
I am not not anti-gun. I am pre-responciable ownership...which means locking up a gun when there are children in the house. The 2 month old is going to be a grabby 2 year old in the blink of an eye. Its time to get used to locking up the gun in the safe (or get one if you don't have it) before settling in for the evening.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:20 PM

10,868 posts, read 18,944,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
No. Just no. I'm sorry, but this woman saw her mother murdered in front of her. She should not be expected to handle a firearm just to accommodate her partner so that he doesn't have to remember to take his gun off when he gets inside the house. For her, the experience could be beyond traumatizing and expecting her to face a very logical fear so that he doesn't have to just show her some basic courtesy is ridiculous.

I take my shoes off when I got to a friend's house if that's what they do. It's not something I would think to do in my own house, but if I see everyone in socks and shoes by the door when I go in a house, I comply with expectations. Similarly, if I was partnered with someone who preferred that I remove my shoes in the house I'd do it because it's not that big of a sacrifice to make for someone I love.

This is not about overcoming fears - it's about kindness, mindfulness and empathy.
It's not about kindness or empathy...if he's going to carry a gun for work and she's terrified of guns, they have to come to some resolution. That may be that he changes careers, it may be that they don't live together, or it may be that she gets over her fear. This isn't even about coming near the baby while wearing a holstered weapon, this is about her fear.

He can't leave the gun in the vehicle, it isn't safe to do that because cars get broken into a lot. So it has to come into the house. If she moved in with him knowing that he carried a gun for work, then she was all right being around it. Maybe some of this is due to the emotions and fears that many new mothers have, and maybe it will subside in time.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 PM

42,284 posts, read 49,863,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's not about kindness or empathy...if he's going to carry a gun for work and she's terrified of guns, they have to come to some resolution. That may be that he changes careers, it may be that they don't live together, or it may be that she gets over her fear. This isn't even about coming near the baby while wearing a holstered weapon, this is about her fear.

He can't leave the gun in the vehicle, it isn't safe to do that because cars get broken into a lot. So it has to come into the house. If she moved in with him knowing that he carried a gun for work, then she was all right being around it. Maybe some of this is due to the emotions and fears that many new mothers have, and maybe it will subside in time.
Clearly she was fine with him working with a gun until the baby was born and he was walking around with a baby and a gun.

Guns and germs should be left at the door.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

Ummm or that he acts like a responsible gun owner and locks it up at home when he has a child there.

Seems like a PERFECT compromise.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:20 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,027,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
What's a safety? You do realize that most guns; not all, do not even have safeties or the safety is built into the trigger or the grip. And I see others are hung up on this "safety" thing. People who are going to talk about guns, should learn about guns. I've carried guns, pretty much my entire life, and have NEVER had a handgun with a safety.

Back on subject. If you carry a gun and you have kids in the house either keep the gun on yourself at all times or lock it up. Kids will adapt to the fact that Daddy, or even Mommy, carry a gun.
HIS gun has a safety. Other guns' mechanisms are irrelevant.

Last edited by JustJulia; 02-24-2016 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 PM

So I am not joking when I said I insisted my husband change clothes after work before he held our babies. He had contact with a lot of germs at work. I am not a germaphobe. Never been one. But I was just not going to risk it with my tiny babies with tiny immune systems. Did I have someone in my life die that way? Nope. Did it seem unreasonable to my husband? No idea! Because he willingly submitted to this small request. Maybe he agreed with my concerns. Maybe he thought I was being a nut. It took a couple minutes and then I wouldn't flinch if her snuggled our babies. If my husband can change out of a full suit to his comfy clean clothes...someone can lock up a gun.

All these years later, he does hug the kids hello, but he also goes and changes right away after. I think its his normal now. It should be your normal too, OP

I kind of think this is a trolling type post. It might be real...but I think it was meant to bring out passions in people

Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 PM

I also think the mother's trauma is not relevant. Many moms, lots of moms would feel the same exact way without the trauma. If you have a child, any age, newborn to teen, you lock up your guns. Right away. No delay. ou would have to be an idiot not to.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:21 AM

14,543 posts, read 11,526,450 times
IM sure this idiot poster has had his 15 mins of fame now Im just disgusted that I answered it yesterday... waste of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or