U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 PM

4,093 posts, read 2,824,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackettC View Post
I work as protection officer for a high ranking official's security detail. I obviously carry a gun whole the time.

My partner and I have a 2 month old son and when I get home, I'm always eager to go pick him up and cuddle him.

She always gets upset when I forget to take my gun off my holster before holding the baby. Her father killed her mother with a shotgun in front of her when she was a teen and she can't handle the sight of weapons.

Why doesn't she understand carrying one is simply part of my job?
As long as your weapon is holstered, there is no cause for concern. Both of your hands are holding the baby, and thus are nowhere the holster's thumb-break or the firearm's hammer or trigger.

But since she has issues with firearms, perhaps you should make a point of securing your weapon when you enter your home, just as you would when entering a secured facility. This will help put her mind at ease, and will make things much smoother when y'all discuss how the parenting aspect of firearms will be handled once your son becomes mature enough to learn gun safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 607,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
As long as your weapon is holstered, there is no cause for concern. Both of your hands are holding the baby, and thus are nowhere the holster's thumb-break or the firearm's hammer or trigger.

But since she has issues with firearms, perhaps you should make a point of securing your weapon when you enter your home, just as you would when entering a secured facility. This will help put her mind at ease, and will make things much smoother when y'all discuss how the parenting aspect of firearms will be handled once your son becomes mature enough to learn gun safety.
Yes being Considerate would solve it all really.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:59 AM

452 posts, read 261,113 times
Bottom line up top: This is not about you. This is about your partner's happiness.

Gun owner here. And someone who just celebrated 25 years of happy marriage. There is an easy fix to this. Train yourself so that the first thing you do when you enter the home is to take off your weapon and secure it. Your partner suffered a traumatic experience that has made an indelible impression. Understand that and make allowances for it.

In the great scheme of life, removing your weapon and securing it will take less than one minute each day. And you will have eliminated a major source of irritation.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,765,164 times
When my husband was a police officer he was not allowed in the house unless his gun as disabled. I preferred if he left it in his patrol car and many days turned him right around to go back to the car until it was off. He would put the gun on the counter, completely taken apart (down to making him take every bullet out of the clip) and brought it that way back to the car if he wanted it on him if he HAD to bring it in. A career was not an excuse from me and I also required any officers who came to my house to remove them also. Guns are not permitted in my house, husband (officer) of not. I don't play and I don't make exceptions for that. This was before we had our daughter. I won't even entertain the thought of him having a gun now. He knows to not even ask.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:01 PM

27,522 posts, read 17,660,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
When my husband was a police officer he was not allowed in the house unless his gun as disabled. I preferred if he left it in his patrol car and many days turned him right around to go back to the car until it was off. He would put the gun on the counter, completely taken apart (down to making him take every bullet out of the clip) and brought it that way back to the car if he wanted it on him if he HAD to bring it in. A career was not an excuse from me and I also required any officers who came to my house to remove them also. Guns are not permitted in my house, husband (officer) of not. I don't play and I don't make exceptions for that. This was before we had our daughter. I won't even entertain the thought of him having a gun now. He knows to not even ask.

I don't understand the point to making everyone take there gun apart? Why?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or