U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,153,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

And none of my kids was emotionally damaged by my making myself more appropriate for hugging.
Exactly.

My dad carried during my childhood. He came in, put the gun away and then gave all of us hugs.

My partner does the same thing.

Truly, the excuses made for this behavior are appalling to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 PM

20,088 posts, read 20,576,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Maybe stupid question but can't you lock the gun away at work and don't even bring it home?
Or lock it in the trunk of your car.
OP I can understand how you forget. My brother is an officer and probably carries 50lbs of accessories including his gun most of the day. It becomes so natural that Im sure he doesn't think about it at times. I really don't see it as a big deal if you occasionally dont remove your gun first. I know my brother is often holding his granddaughters while still in full uniform and on duty. I dont know what his procedure is when he gets home. But for the benefit of your wife you should try to make a better effort to remove your gun first thing.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:38 PM

13,653 posts, read 11,126,520 times
Easy solution for a grown adult who is supposedly experience/responsible and respectful with firearms in a home.

I propose a solution: leave a note on your steering wheel or at the front door of the home (reminding you to put away your firearm) once you get home.

Pretty easy huh?

Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM

2,731 posts, read 1,965,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackettC View Post
I work as protection officer for a high ranking official's security detail. I obviously carry a gun whole the time.

My partner and I have a 2 month old son and when I get home, I'm always eager to go pick him up and cuddle him.

She always gets upset when I forget to take my gun off my holster before holding the baby. Her father killed her mother with a shotgun in front of her when she was a teen and she can't handle the sight of weapons.

Why doesn't she understand carrying one is simply part of my job?
Sure, just ignore her experience... Why she is with you anyway?

You make it like with car keys, you set them on their place right after back home to find them again. I think you don't want to leave it right after you are home. If you would want, you would do it. That is what I do with my keys, I always set them on their place to find them again. It is priority thought, when you set it to priority and repeat it from car to inside, you will learn it soon and it becomes routine. Learn to want to honor your son and partner..

Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM

13,029 posts, read 12,506,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Firearms don't jump out and start killing people. However, accidents do happen, however. For example

Police: 3-month-old Baby Shoots Man in Face | FOX40

Child Shoots & Kills Own Father!!! | Qatar Living

Arizona police: 4-year-old boy fatally shoots his father - CNN.com

Accidents are much less likely to happen if you are holding a baby and the gun is locked away in the gun safe compared to holding the baby when you have forgotten that you are still armed and don't keep the safety on when you are working.
Exactly. You leave no room for error. You have backup to the backup. If the gun is locked away, there's no chance of an accident. You know, just like you don't point a gun at someone even if it's unloaded (boy, did I have that pounded into my head when Pop was teaching me to shoot).

And who the hell leaves the safety off while they're carrying? That's when guns go off accidentally in public places. Doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen from time to time.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:54 PM

332 posts, read 201,650 times
It'll take one minute for you to put your gun away and solve your problem. You know your partner had a horrible experience with it and yet you're implying you can't spare that minute? That you would rather come on here to whine about it? lol.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM

1,039 posts, read 609,575 times
Quote:
I work as protection officer for a high ranking official's security detail. I obviously carry a gun whole the time.

My partner and I have a 2 month old son and when I get home, I'm always eager to go pick him up and cuddle him.

She always gets upset when I forget to take my gun off my holster before holding the baby. Her father killed her mother with a shotgun in front of her when she was a teen and she can't handle the sight of weapons.

Wait what - if youre so High Ranking why don't you have to check your weapon in every day just like everyone else?

Also, what part of your High Ranking Job do you perform with your baby in your arms?

This is like saying, welp im a surgeon, and shes upset cos I come home soaked in strange peoples blood every night then grab the kids.

Any Parent would have a PROBLEM with this!

Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,329,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The kid is 2 months old.

No running and yelling papa.

And none of my kids was emotionally damaged by my making myself more appropriate for hugging.
My bad I read it too fast (read it as 2 yrs old).

Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,738,189 times
Quote:

IT'S A BABY! What can't you see about that?

Take your damn gun and holster off and lock it away when you come home!

These are the habits you need to get into when you have a child!

No way you are any real kind of security detail without this basic knowledge.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 609,575 times
Partner gets very upset if I hold the baby while being armed

OP - there is a DEEPLY OBVIOUS solution to this problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or