U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:42 PM

8,509 posts, read 11,383,829 times

Advertisements

this has to be a joke... why can't she understand? Why don't you understand why it's a concern? Tazer, nail gun, etc. It doesn't matter. Solution? Remember to remove it, and don't blame her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
My bad I read it too fast (read it as 2 yrs old).
If daddy does this every day starting now when he gets home, Jr. will expect it and will not take issue with it. It will be his normal. Dad comes home, locks up his gun, and then we get cuddles and play time. Easy peasy. Anyways, it isn't emotionally scarring for a kid to have to wait 1 minute for a hug.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:44 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There may or may not be a cultural aspect here. Too little info to tell.

I imagine this scenario - the OP steps in the door and immediately the child runs toward him "papa! papa!" the intention being to be immediately swept up in the OP's arms. No time to put away the weapon which I reckon to be holstered in the type that resides inside a sport coat.

So yeah, there is a bit of an emotional dilemma here.

The OP may actually worry that stopping to put away the weapon first could emotionally harm his son.

BTW - I agree some of the comments are ignorant. With a semi automatic pistol having the safety off may or may not mean discharge can happen easily. It all depends on the make and model of weapon not to mention aftermarket mods. Plus OP clearly stated the safety is engaged prior to entering the home.
The baby is only 2 months old at this point, so no running to papa when he comes in the door. The OP should establish a routine - put the gun (safety on) away when he walks in the door preferably in a gun safe.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 PM

2,617 posts, read 4,103,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackettC View Post
I work as protection officer for a high ranking official's security detail. I obviously carry a gun whole the time.

My partner and I have a 2 month old son and when I get home, I'm always eager to go pick him up and cuddle him.

She always gets upset when I forget to take my gun off my holster before holding the baby. Her father killed her mother with a shotgun in front of her when she was a teen and she can't handle the sight of weapons.

Why doesn't she understand carrying one is simply part of my job?
You are really asking this question?

Put it this way. Forget the guns. Assume your partner was a doctor or plumber or painter and forgot to wash his/her hands before picking up a newborn. Wouldn't you be upset?

Maybe have a routine when you get home about putting away your work equipment before picking up your newborn?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:57 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,706,613 times
Seems like you picked the wrong "partner" to have a child with, or you picked the wrong line of work. Those two things don't seem to be able to reconcile with each other.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:59 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,706,613 times
Wow, a lot of ignorance being displayed.

If you are carrying all day, everyday, it just becomes normal and you don't think about it. That's how someone could "forget" they were carrying.

And seriously? comparing being armed with germs and filth from some other job? that's rich.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:07 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times
Quote:
I work as protection officer for a high ranking official's security detail. I obviously carry a gun whole the time.

My partner and I have a 2 month old son and when I get home, I'm always eager to go pick him up and cuddle him.

She always gets upset when I forget to take my gun off my holster before holding the baby. Her father killed her mother with a shotgun in front of her when she was a teen and she can't handle the sight of weapons.

Okay, so you live and have a baby with a woman who cannot handle the sight of weapons, because HER FATHER KILLED HER MOTHER WITH A GUN, yet you "forget" to take the weapon off as soon as you get home, (as you would be used to doing by now if this was an accurate representation of the facts) or better yet have a job which doesn't require you wear a weapon at all times.

What is it you expect here? Whether it's um, safe or not, whether it's "part of your job" or not, is HARDLY THE POINT, now, is it? As you well know.

So what's your actual reason for asking this question that you already answered in the OP?

Old 02-24-2016, 02:09 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
Quote:

If you know that about her history and you haven't yet understood her aversion to firearms, I'm afraid you never will.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:12 PM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
My god I cant believe what Im reading is this OP for real.... christ you get a reaction for a cigarette near a baby never mind a bloody gun... you need some serious issues addressed.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,284,480 times
Quote:

Why don't you simply show her compassion and understanding and use the 10-15 seconds it takes to lock your gun up before you pick up your son?

You know she experienced something traumatic that will probably be with her for the rest of her life, so if you love her, put her first.

You're not the first gun-toter and you won't be the last, don't make it all about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or