Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:29 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,633,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
I find it reprehensible you would use Benadryl simply to get your kid to sleep. Our son has some bad allergies and we give it to him when absolutely necessary, but to drug a child for the sole purpose of getting them to sleep is appalling.
It isn't reprehensible when Hedgehog Mom explained the issues her daughter was having with sleeping. She didn't give it 'just to get her daughter to sleep'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 AM

217 posts, read 245,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It isn't reprehensible when Hedgehog Mom explained the issues her daughter was having with sleeping. She didn't give it 'just to get her daughter to sleep'.
Uh, yes it is. You are basically drugging your kid to get him/her to go to sleep. If the child is having that much trouble sleeping then I would suggest going to a doctor and having tests done and possibly having the doctor prescribe something instead of just using an over-the-counter drug to knock out the kid.

If you want to disagree that is fine, we all have a right to our opinion, but using the "smack face" emoji is childish and shows you can't have a conversation like an adult.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:53 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,811,528 times
Quote:
Uh, yes it is. You are basically drugging your kid to get him/her to go to sleep. If the child is having that much trouble sleeping then I would suggest going to a doctor and having tests done and possibly having the doctor prescribe something instead of just using an over-the-counter drug to knock out the kid.

If you want to disagree that is fine, we all have a right to our opinion, but using the "smack face" emoji is childish and shows you can't have a conversation like an adult.
I have also used it for sleep with my son who has insomnia. Not often, but that is because it doesn't work that well. But I was instructed to by a psychiatrist (medical doctor) for insomnia.

How do you know she hasn't taken her child to the doctors for it? We did. They said to use benedryl.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:19 AM

217 posts, read 245,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have also used it for sleep with my son who has insomnia. Not often, but that is because it doesn't work that well. But I was instructed to by a psychiatrist (medical doctor) for insomnia.

How do you know she hasn't taken her child to the doctors for it? We did. They said to use benedryl.
That's insane and I don't know one doctor who would recommend it. Have you seen the new data that came out in the last 2 weeks about Benadryl and likewise drugs causing dementia and other issues with the brain? I'm in no way saying you are lying, I just personally think it is crazy to drug a kid for the puropse of getting them to go to sleep. Just my humble opinion.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
That's insane and I don't know one doctor who would recommend it. Have you seen the new data that came out in the last 2 weeks about Benadryl and likewise drugs causing dementia and other issues with the brain? I'm in no way saying you are lying, I just personally think it is crazy to drug a kid for the puropse of getting them to go to sleep. Just my humble opinion.
Well clearly this doctors visit was before something that came out in the last 2 weeks.

My insurance company required documentation that I tried Benadryl for insomnia before they would agree to pay for lunesta. So....

Anyways, it's easy to judge sitting on the outside. But if you have a child that SUFFERS from insomnia, you might change your tune a bit. I am really conservative about how often I use it. It's for when his sleep cycle is turned totally upside down and he isn't able to attend school. We use it for two days to get him back on a "normal" schedule. I am careful because I worry about sending the message he should grab a pill when he wants to sleep. I also do worry about the side effects, especially about being drowsy the next day. But at some point, being drowsy is better then being asleep because it took until 5am to fall asleep.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,865,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So apparently this is quite common, I didn't know that till recently. I guess it's an easy way for kids to be quiet and fall asleep, so it may seem like an easy parenting hack.

But these drugs are WEIRD. I read that the ratio for dosage is about 1 mg per kg. So giving a small kid 25 or 50 mgs of benedryll would be like giving yourself 300 mgs of benedryll.

Go try taking 300 mgs of benedryll. It's a deleriant. I've done 300 mgs out of curiosity, and it was most definitely weirder than any experience I've had on pot or alcohol. That's why it struck me as so odd that parents give these to their kids so regularly. Most parents wouldn't give their kid a pot brownie or a drop of acid, but apparently giving them benedryll is socially acceptable???

Now some kids do have big allergy problems, so antihistamines are necessary, and I'm not condemning for that. But it's just something to be careful about as they do carry big side effects, and it may be better to go with other, newer antihistamines. I don't think that they are harmful physically in reasonable doses, they're just weird.
Is the dosage linear or does it change for adults?

Old 02-25-2016, 12:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,696,197 times
My neighbor's niece was killed at a daycare 2 years ago in Waco, TX (you can google it) because they would give the kids benadryl in order for them to take longer naps. They tests most, if not all the kids, and they all had some level of benadryl in their system. She has been brought up on charges. It's not good to give the stuff on a regular basis.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 PM

15,939 posts, read 20,903,382 times
Quote:
I find it reprehensible you would use Benadryl simply to get your kid to sleep. Our son has some bad allergies and we give it to him when absolutely necessary, but to drug a child for the sole purpose of getting them to sleep is appalling.
It's not any more appalling than giving them childrens tylenol and it is something doctors recommend trying BEFORE going to a prescription.
Get back to us when you have had a child who hasn't slept through the night in a week and is stressing out over it.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:49 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,743,286 times
I use Benadryl to get my kids to sleep when they are sick. In other words, if they have a cold, they get Benadryl at night time. And only the recommended dose previously approved by my pediatrician for their weight. My pediatrician, per policy, gives parents the correct dosages for their child by weight for Benadryl, Tylenol, and Motrin to parents at all well appointments starting at 6 months old.

I use melatonin to get my son to sleep on school nights, but that was "prescribed" by his neurologist since he has epilepsy. (By prescribed, I mean she told us to buy the over-the-counter stuff and how much to give).

I don't think I would ever medicate for sleep without doctor's supervision though.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
My neighbor's niece was killed at a daycare 2 years ago in Waco, TX (you can google it) because they would give the kids benadryl in order for them to take longer naps. They tests most, if not all the kids, and they all had some level of benadryl in their system. She has been brought up on charges. It's not good to give the stuff on a regular basis.
OMG she gave it to a 4 month old...and overdosed her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting