U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
9,495 posts, read 13,353,236 times
Reputation: 19931

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yeah, it is. This method is disturbing, actually.

Tylenol is for fever and pain, which sometimes can be treated without seeing a doc. Using Benadryl to get your kid to sleep is DRUGGING your child so they will stop being awake ... with a medicine that is supposed to treat something they don't have but which has the SIDE EFFECT of causing drowsiness.

Drugs are never supposed to be a substitute for parenting. If your child can't/won't sleep, you need to address ALL potential root causes. You don't just dope them up.

And surprise! Benadryl actually stimulates some kids. So it doesn't always work.
Many medications, including prescriptions, are used off label, on a doctors recommendation. (Dang, veterinarians recommend it for your pets too, to help calm them is stressful situations like traveling or during fireworks on holidays. ) Is this news to some of you?
My doctor prescribes an anti-anxiety med for my sleep issues. I have a non-restorative sleep disorder, likely my daughter has it too. Her pediatrician recommended benadryl as a last ditch occasional 'go to' rather than using HABIT forming drugs on a child.
What's with the holier than thou attitude that using benadryl is doping up our children because we are too lazy to parent properly? It's a mild OTC that is helpful when used properly according to doctors directions, just like ANY other OTC you give your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
39,090 posts, read 37,733,259 times
Reputation: 73758
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What's with the holier than thou attitude that using benadryl is doping up our children because we are too lazy to parent properly? It's a mild OTC that is helpful when used properly according to doctors directions, just like ANY other OTC you give your child.
Your two mistakes are that 1) you're assuming that everyone who gives it to their kids does so according to these ^^^ caveats and 2) that I'm referring to everyone who uses it for ANY reason.

I've said multiple times, and it's in the links I posted that you apparently didn't read, that the despicable ones are those who freely admit they use it as a shortcut.

If you don't do that, great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 11:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
Reputation: 25118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
Uh, yes it is. You are basically drugging your kid to get him/her to go to sleep. If the child is having that much trouble sleeping then I would suggest going to a doctor and having tests done and possibly having the doctor prescribe something instead of just using an over-the-counter drug to knock out the kid.

If you want to disagree that is fine, we all have a right to our opinion, but using the "smack face" emoji is childish and shows you can't have a conversation like an adult.
My child's doctor said to use benadryl. It's safe and effective. Why take a prescription sleep aid and risk side effects or dependence when benadryl works? That's like saying you shouldn't take ibuprofen for your headache, you should go to the doctor and get some oxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
Reputation: 25118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
How old is she? Crying after age 5 seems like a problem. Generally, I would not recommend Benadryl for sleep, and never for children.
She's 10. She has always had trouble sleeping since she was a toddler. She has OCD and when she can't sleep, she starts worrying that she's going to die because she's not getting enough sleep, or that she's going to be in trouble because she isn't asleep, or that she's bad because she can't sleep, or that she has some sort of health problem that's keeping her from sleeping. Thoughts like that don't make it any easier for her to fall asleep. She usually panics quietly in her room for a couple of hours, then comes into my room and wakes me up, crying because she's afraid something terrible will happen to her because she's been unable to sleep.

We're working on her other issues and hopefully when they're resolved (or at least somewhat better) the sleep problem will get better. For now, the melatonin is working well enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,861 posts, read 10,321,034 times
Reputation: 9271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My child's doctor said to use benadryl. It's safe and effective. Why take a prescription sleep aid and risk side effects or dependence when benadryl works? That's like saying you shouldn't take ibuprofen for your headache, you should go to the doctor and get some oxy.
Playing devil's advocate but there can be dependence with Benadryl. You mentioned your child waking after a while. And people can build a tolerance. Just because it's over the counter doesn't mean it has no side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,229,248 times
Reputation: 10153
Can't even get Benadryl over the counter here so no chance of dosing kids up to get them to sleep. But its completely understandable in a case of a child with real insomnia like Hedgehog_Mom's daughter. Some nights when my kid is still awake hours after bedtime I find myself wishing I could give her a dose to see if it would work, if anything would work to get her to sleep. Insomnia is a horrible horrible thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:20 AM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She's 10. She has always had trouble sleeping since she was a toddler. She has OCD and when she can't sleep, she starts worrying that she's going to die because she's not getting enough sleep, or that she's going to be in trouble because she isn't asleep, or that she's bad because she can't sleep, or that she has some sort of health problem that's keeping her from sleeping. Thoughts like that don't make it any easier for her to fall asleep. She usually panics quietly in her room for a couple of hours, then comes into my room and wakes me up, crying because she's afraid something terrible will happen to her because she's been unable to sleep.

We're working on her other issues and hopefully when they're resolved (or at least somewhat better) the sleep problem will get better. For now, the melatonin is working well enough.
Poor sweetie! I can totally relate. I didn't have OCD but I had an anxiety disorder. I couldn't sleep starting at 8. And the later I was awake, the more I would worry and be afraid. I didn't have the option of being comforted by my mom, so I would finally just pass out. Its good she can come to you when she is needing you. I am sure you have tried everything but one thing that really helped me was writing stories in my head. I still do it to this day when I am really struggling. It helps occupy the mind. Problem is sometimes I would start writing scary or sad stories. Still that was oddly more comforting then my real fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 AM
 
218 posts, read 154,954 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My child's doctor said to use benadryl. It's safe and effective. Why take a prescription sleep aid and risk side effects or dependence when benadryl works? That's like saying you shouldn't take ibuprofen for your headache, you should go to the doctor and get some oxy.
Another one who uses the "smacking head" emoji and proves how immature they are and can't have a normal conversation. Benadryl IS NOT A SLEEP AID!!!!!!! It is used for allergies. Ibuprofen is designed to help headaches, it is it's proper use. You are comparing apples to oranges. If you are using Benadryl for the sole purpose of getting your kid to sleep, you are misusing it and IN MY OPINION are lacking the parental skills millions of others have in dealing with a child who can't fall asleep.

And it is NOT safe and effective. In fact recent studies show it can cause dementia. I'm not making it up, google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Denver
2,983 posts, read 2,399,742 times
Reputation: 1834
Woah this thread got big

Again I learn something new, I didn't know that many parents had issues with insomniac kids.

Anyways, benedryll does have it's purposes, and a sleep aid is one of them. I would rather actually use that over melatonin due to drug sensitization. I would rather be sensitized to some other substance than the bodies own chemical method of the sleep cycle.

The point is just use wisdom; make sure your dosages are responsible and don't use it over and over. Again, if your worried, try a dose of 50mg on yourself. It will make you tired and feel like 450 lbs. but it's not that weird till you go over about 150 mgs and it really doesn't become a deleriant till about >500mgs.

To the other point of repeat dosing, tolerance builds fast with this drug, so I wouldn't use it back to back for an extended period of time.

Also I wouldn't use it for kids with colds/sickness because antihistamines in general weaken the immune system response, as an allergic reaction is an overresponse of the immune system to some non-threat.

Is it dangerous? Not really, not unless you use it all the time. Abusers report problems after months of using >500mg doses for months, but that is clear abuse and I have no idea why someone would do that.

But insomnia will cause big short term and long term issues too, so which is worse, benedryll or insomnia? Also airplane pressure is no good either.

About dosing, I think it's linear, but I'd check with a doctor to be sure, I'm not positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:50 AM
 
218 posts, read 154,954 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Woah this thread got big

Again I learn something new, I didn't know that many parents had issues with insomniac kids.

Anyways, benedryll does have it's purposes, and a sleep aid is one of them. I would rather actually use that over melatonin due to drug sensitization. I would rather be sensitized to some other substance than the bodies own chemical method of the sleep cycle.

The point is just use wisdom; make sure your dosages are responsible and don't use it over and over. Again, if your worried, try a dose of 50mg on yourself. It will make you tired and feel like 450 lbs. but it's not that weird till you go over about 150 mgs and it really doesn't become a deleriant till about >500mgs.

To the other point of repeat dosing, tolerance builds fast with this drug, so I wouldn't use it back to back for an extended period of time.

Also I wouldn't use it for kids with colds/sickness because antihistamines in general weaken the immune system response, as an allergic reaction is an overresponse of the immune system to some non-threat.

Is it dangerous? Not really, not unless you use it all the time. Abusers report problems after months of using >500mg doses for months, but that is clear abuse and I have no idea why someone would do that.

But insomnia will cause big short term and long term issues too, so which is worse, benedryll or insomnia? Also airplane pressure is no good either.

About dosing, I think it's linear, but I'd check with a doctor to be sure, I'm not positive.
WHAT? Basically what you said is you wouldn't use it for it's intended purpose which is to help with sickness and allergies BUT you would use it for a sleep aid, which despite what you say is NOT it's purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top