U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-26-2016, 11:48 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 2,044,419 times
Reputation: 2597

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Oops.

Minor detail.

That's only the entire point of this thread.
Just because the FDA has not approved it does not mean it is bad. Would you argue the converse that because the FDA has approved something it is OK?

There could be any number of reasons why the FDA has not approved something. Case in point, my daughter wears a continuous glucose monitor. The only FDA approved locations for the sensor are on her abdomen or upper butt. The only reason is those are the locations that the manufacturer used in testing. There is no technical reason why other locations cannot be used and in fact the user community uses a lot of other sites.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2016, 12:26 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 1,143,196 times
Reputation: 4923
Originally Posted by pkbab5
The concern is that the FDA has not approved the safety of Benadryl for long term use by children as a sleep aid. That much is true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Oops.

Minor detail.

That's only the entire point of this thread.

When you Google furiously and then derail the thread, it's "facts." When I address the OP directly, it's "shooting from the hip."


No if you had kept it to "the FDA has not approved the safety of Benadryl for long term use by children as a sleep aid" you would have been right.


It's when you went on to say that Benadryl only has an "unintended" use of being a sleep aid, and that it has ingredients that other diphenhydramine HCL based sleep-aid medications do not, that I called you on the fact that you were shooting from the hip. Those two things are just not true.


And I didn't have to google those things, but you should have. We're not talking about whether that dress was white and gold or blue and black, we're talking about you telling parents what active ingredients are purportedly in a Children's medication. Make sure you are right before you post.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 03:24 PM
 
9,993 posts, read 13,041,313 times
Reputation: 5522
My son's doctor recommended it for an airplane trip. I was taken a back a bit and he reassured me there's nothing to worry about. This is one of those guys who is open to holistic approaches and isn't overly combative to people concerned about vaccines (some doctors will just kick you out of their practice if you don't follow their schedule to a T)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,085 posts, read 99,155,665 times
Reputation: 31559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My son's doctor recommended it for an airplane trip. I was taken a back a bit and he reassured me there's nothing to worry about. This is one of those guys who is open to holistic approaches and isn't overly combative to people concerned about vaccines (some doctors will just kick you out of their practice if you don't follow their schedule to a T)
I wasn't going to get into this because these threads always degenerate. But a holistic doctor recommended Benadryl for a plane trip? That seems quite the oxymoron!

I worked a telephone triage line for a pediatric group and we quit recommending that years ago! No drug is without side effects.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,433 posts, read 16,765,370 times
Reputation: 16460
I was always very careful with benedryl with my son because as a kid I had lots of allergies. I went though school on anti hystamines. As they quit working they upped the dose. When that didn't work it was another pill. When I got sick out of high school, my doctor said he'd never have a child on a continuous high dosage since you end up with many of them simply not working anymore.

I also was rather unenthusiastic about other kids and got teased over it, and sometimes I wonder if I hadn't been so sedated if I would have stood up to them better. Mostly I just ignored them. After an incident when I went after them and the Girl's VP talked to all of us I told her how they acted and I got left alone after that. But the meds were making me zoned out and I wonder if that would have been different.

The major thing is that kids grow up, and when they do and have allergies they find out they've been desensitized to a lot of the remedies. Or sometimes you develop side effects which go on even if the stuff doesn't help your nose. The rule for kids and adults should be meds are for what's really needed, and not for convience and not forever or when they're worthless.

Benedryl can make your sinisus clear, and sleepy, but it can also make your feel very zoned out and destroy your memory. If your kid is going to school, and arrives with the afterglow of an antihystamine, its going to effect their concentration, memory and ability to think. Why would you want your child's ability to learn compromized.

What happens if you keep taking the antihystamine, for its use or off label, is time comes it doesn't work. Sometime the effect can change too, and your brain is in zone out. We end up needing something new more often since we take too much.

One side effect for some from benedryl, with both adults and kids, is depression and the inability to concentrate. It can effect your attention span as well. If you consider kids are going to school this isn't a good thing. Nor is it if you're making a long drive or doing a job which can't be done in neutral.

If you take it, be aware of the other effect beyond your nose being unstuffed, and take care. Doctors will say its useful for sleep or a cold or wound up kids. But doctors do not always ask about or consider the whole picture.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 05:35 PM
 
10,469 posts, read 7,560,259 times
Reputation: 18492
Benadryl is physically addicting. Period. There are safer things to give your children.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 05:36 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,543,703 times
Reputation: 23714
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Benadryl is physically addicting. Period. There are safer things to give your children.
Citation?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:47 PM
 
2,442 posts, read 1,810,252 times
Reputation: 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So apparently this is quite common, I didn't know that till recently. I guess it's an easy way for kids to be quiet and fall asleep, so it may seem like an easy parenting hack.

But these drugs are WEIRD. I read that the ratio for dosage is about 1 mg per kg. So giving a small kid 25 or 50 mgs of benedryll would be like giving yourself 300 mgs of benedryll.

Go try taking 300 mgs of benedryll. It's a deleriant. I've done 300 mgs out of curiosity, and it was most definitely weirder than any experience I've had on pot or alcohol. That's why it struck me as so odd that parents give these to their kids so regularly. Most parents wouldn't give their kid a pot brownie or a drop of acid, but apparently giving them benedryll is socially acceptable???

Now some kids do have big allergy problems, so antihistamines are necessary, and I'm not condemning for that. But it's just something to be careful about as they do carry big side effects, and it may be better to go with other, newer antihistamines. I don't think that they are harmful physically in reasonable doses, they're just weird.
dosages are per surface area, not per kg, aren't they?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,009 posts, read 2,420,282 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
WHAT? Basically what you said is you wouldn't use it for it's intended purpose which is to help with sickness and allergies BUT you would use it for a sleep aid, which despite what you say is NOT it's purpose.
The immune system targets threats. Anti-hystamines slow the immune system. If the perceived threat is actually a non-threat, like pollen, then benedryll can help alleviate the situation by dulling the immune response; if the threat is a real one, a dulled immune response could lead to longer recovery times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The ONLY purpose of this post is to be obnoxious and get everyone riled up. 25 mgs of is what is in the pink pill that adults take. No one is giving their kids 50 or 300 (yeah, right!!!)mgs of benadryl to get their kids to sleep.

And yes, pharmacists and doctors DO recommend using it as a sleep aid. People on here screaming about DRUGGING THE CHILDREN!!!! - any medicine you give your child is a drug. Keep it together, folks.


You took 300 mgs of benadryl? You're an idiot.
In case you didn't pick it up, the whole point was that one pink pill, 25mgs, to a person (toddler) of like 8kgs in weight could be a equivalent to a large 200-300mg dose for an adult.

Call me whatever you want, but it was definitely an interesting experience, I learned a lot, and I don't feel the urge to do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I wasn't going to get into this because these threads always degenerate. But a holistic doctor recommended Benadryl for a plane trip? That seems quite the oxymoron!

I worked a telephone triage line for a pediatric group and we quit recommending that years ago! No drug is without side effects.
Mmm... I don't know. It depends how effective it is at relieving ear pressure, as that can be terrible if you can't relieve it yourself. But I wouldn't make the airplane be the first time, as someone mentioned if there was some sort of adverse reaction.

Basically, the point is, it's not good to avoid drugs completely as the do sometimes have their uses, but in the instances where you use them, be responsible and do your research/ask the doctor. The basic guideline for pretty much anny drug is stick to low doses and avoid strings of redoses, preferably with about a minimum of a week before using it again.

We could have this whole thread over again on the topic of parents giving their kids iboprofen/aspirin/tylenol. It almost gives me an ulcer when I see parents repeatedly giving their kids 3 or 4 pills of there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous South Florida
499 posts, read 386,333 times
Reputation: 748
I worked as a Nurse Anesthetist before I started my family. We would often give IV benadryl to kids having surgery. The main benefit being that it would induce drowsiness and sedation WITHOUT causing respiratory suppression (meaning slowing their breathing). Decreased breathing in a child is very dangerous as they can easily stop breathing altogether which very quickly leads to their heart stopping. These children were VERY closely monitored - airway, breathing, heart monitors, etc, etc. A few MAJOR points

1) Paradoxical Reactions are VERY common (10-15%) in children < 6 years old & persons over 60. In other words, benadryl has the OPPOSITE reaction - excitability, restlessness, delirium. My 3 y.o. daughter becomes a shrieking, screaming MANIAC when I've had to give her benadryl.

2) The correct dose is 1mg per KILOGRAM, NOT POUND. In other words, a 20lb child weighs about 9kg (20 divided by 2.2) , so dose is 9mg NOT 25mg or 50mg. If you buy the children's liquid (12.5mg/5ml or 12.5mg per tsp) 9mg is like 3/4 teaspoon or 3.75ml - a VERY tiny amount.

3) Benadryl is metabolized in the liver by the CYP2D6 enzyme. The effectiveness of this enzyme to properly clear benadryl from a person's system varies wildly. Up to 10% of the (white) population have trouble metabolizing this drug (2% of Asians, yet more African Americans than whites >10%) meaning it can build up in the system and cause serious problems, even death. See below and see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2D6

4) It is NOT a benign/ safe drug JUST because it is available OTC (over the counter). An overdose - either by accident OR because the child is a poor metabolizer and it gets built up in his/her system can cause a FATAL heart condition that may take from 2 to 18 hours to occur. (see section on Torsades here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphen...mid18227744-27

Also (from wiki) common side effects include: dry mouth and throat, increased heart rate, pupil dilation, urinary retention, constipation, and, at high doses, hallucinations or delirium. Other side effects include motor impairment (ataxia), flushed skin, blurred vision at nearpoint owing to lack of accommodation (cycloplegia), abnormal sensitivity to bright light (photophobia), sedation, difficulty concentrating, short-term memory loss, visual disturbances, irregular breathing, dizziness, irritability, itchy skin, confusion, increased body temperature, vomiting. Some side effects, such as twitching, may be delayed until the drowsiness begins to cease and the person is in more of an awakening mode...

I also know of a case where a child had an acute allergic reaction to the dye used in a store brand Benadryl.

Any medical person who recommends using this as a sleep aid or GOD FORBID, on an AIRPLANE - without AT LEAST a FEW "test runs" is an IDIOT. A medical emergency on an AIRPLANE??? No effing way would I risk that!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top