U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,784,740 times

Advertisements

haha Benadryl.... Good times!

btw this is spelled incorrectly in the prompt.

Used to use this stuff quite frequently as a kid. It's definitely a depressant, IMO not addictive, but I did enjoy the effects of it a lot as a kid user. Safer than trying to get high off permanent markers, rubber cement, paint fumes, etc. as a kid. Didn't turn me into a drug addict, at least not yet.

I'd give it to my kids. It's downright necessary to use some form of allergy meds where I'm from (Miami Valley), the pollen around here is crazy. And it makes everybody a little happier too. Takes the edge off. Adds to the midwestern nice. Just try not to mix with alcohol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 PM

8,861 posts, read 10,321,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I believe she said she uses melatonin mostly now
She did, but mentioned earlier that after a while, when she was using Benedryl before, the child started waking up after a few hours. That's not uncommon, especially if a person has become dependent on it.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:44 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
She did, but mentioned earlier that after a while, when she was using Benedryl before, the child started waking up after a few hours. That's not uncommon, especially if a person has become dependent on it.
I think you are misreading or reading too much into it. She has a child with severe anxiety disorder and insomnia. Message back when you are in the same boat.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:52 AM

8,861 posts, read 10,321,034 times
Quote:
I think you are misreading or reading too much into it. She has a child with severe anxiety disorder and insomnia. Message back when you are in the same boat.
I do have a child with a severe anxiety disorder, and more. I wasn't being critical. One can become dependent on Benedryl and other antihistamines that cause drowsiness. Sounds like that poster is working with doctors.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:25 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,103,442 times
My child went through a high anxiety period of time, with long periods of insomnia. My doctor had recommended Benadryl to make her sleepy, as her inability to sleep was causing her to freak out. I chose to not do that, but I think it's perfectly fine if you use it according to the correct dosage and under medical supervision.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:56 AM

10,403 posts, read 7,488,333 times
Quote:
Citation?
What does citation mean? Like where can you find the information on that?
I found it in a psychoparmacology class I took in college.

OR
Let me google that for you

Old 02-27-2016, 11:06 AM

9,491 posts, read 13,353,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What does citation mean? Like where can you find the information on that?
I found it in a psychoparmacology class I took in college.

OR
Let me google that for you
Did you read your own 'google'? All of them mention psychological addiction or tolerance, not physical addiction

Old 02-27-2016, 11:31 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Did you read your own 'google'? All of them mention psychological addiction or tolerance, not physical addiction

Old 02-29-2016, 08:57 AM

9,905 posts, read 12,983,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I wasn't going to get into this because these threads always degenerate. But a holistic doctor recommended Benadryl for a plane trip? That seems quite the oxymoron!

I worked a telephone triage line for a pediatric group and we quit recommending that years ago! No drug is without side effects.

He's not a holistic doctor. He's an MD but he operates in a wealthy area and is more open to discussions about holistic ideas. There are doctors in my area who will kick you out of their practice if you don't accept the 5 shots in one visit scheduled. This guy is flexible. That's all I was alluding to.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,399,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was always very careful with benedryl with my son because as a kid I had lots of allergies. I went though school on anti hystamines. As they quit working they upped the dose. When that didn't work it was another pill. When I got sick out of high school, my doctor said he'd never have a child on a continuous high dosage since you end up with many of them simply not working anymore.

I also was rather unenthusiastic about other kids and got teased over it, and sometimes I wonder if I hadn't been so sedated if I would have stood up to them better. Mostly I just ignored them. After an incident when I went after them and the Girl's VP talked to all of us I told her how they acted and I got left alone after that. But the meds were making me zoned out and I wonder if that would have been different.

The major thing is that kids grow up, and when they do and have allergies they find out they've been desensitized to a lot of the remedies. Or sometimes you develop side effects which go on even if the stuff doesn't help your nose. The rule for kids and adults should be meds are for what's really needed, and not for convience and not forever or when they're worthless.

Benedryl can make your sinisus clear, and sleepy, but it can also make your feel very zoned out and destroy your memory. If your kid is going to school, and arrives with the afterglow of an antihystamine, its going to effect their concentration, memory and ability to think. Why would you want your child's ability to learn compromized.

What happens if you keep taking the antihystamine, for its use or off label, is time comes it doesn't work. Sometime the effect can change too, and your brain is in zone out. We end up needing something new more often since we take too much.

One side effect for some from benedryl, with both adults and kids, is depression and the inability to concentrate. It can effect your attention span as well. If you consider kids are going to school this isn't a good thing. Nor is it if you're making a long drive or doing a job which can't be done in neutral.

If you take it, be aware of the other effect beyond your nose being unstuffed, and take care. Doctors will say its useful for sleep or a cold or wound up kids. But doctors do not always ask about or consider the whole picture.
There ^^. A perfect example of why you don't just keep giving kids medicine without knowing what it's effects are. Your descriptions very much match what I remember from my encounter with the drug; dysphoria, concentration loss and thoughts from nowhere (which was interesting, because before benedryl, I couldn't tell if my thoughts were a result of some stimulus or if they could arise from no stimulus, which I found they could).

But I find it really hard to believe that it is addictive. It's dysphoric. Maybe you build up a tolerance, but that's about all it could qualify for being addictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting