U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Reputation: 10153

Advertisements

My 5 year old won't stop biting her nails, and I just found out it is worse than I thought as she's scraping them up from the bottom with her teeth which is making the entire nail come off. It must be really painful but she says she can't stop doing it. I've got her fingertips wrapped in plasters today but that's not a long term solution really, and I'm worried about why she is doing it, if its anxiety or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2016, 08:31 AM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Reputation: 23714
Gosh I don't know. I was a nail biter and nothing they did stopped me. The more they tried, the more I bit. By the time I was a teen, I was really good at it. You couldn't tell they were bitten, they looked nicely clipped. As an adult I only did it when I was suer stressed. I had a couple chips in my front teeth and when I got them fixed, I couldn't bite my nails anymore. Too smooth. And I am afraid of breaking the fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 08:35 AM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,492,743 times
Reputation: 23714
My son is a nail picker. I never have tried to stop him. He has an anxiety disorder, I think its related. I just put bandaids on and made observational comments "it must have gotten hurt when you picked too hard". He put it together and is much more careful and hasn't hurt himself in quite a while. I also taught him to use the clippers so he keeps them short.

Maybe look at when she is biting them? Is it all the time? Is it when she is stressed? Is it when she is in bed? And then see if there is a solution there. I got my daughter to stop chewing her hair with chewy jewelry I got on amazon. She just did it for sensory issues so the chewing helped her. It only took a while and then she lost interest in the hair and the necklace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM
 
12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
Reputation: 33915
When I was a kid, they used to sell some nasty tasting concoction that you could paint on the nails to make them less appealing to chew on.

I would offer to take her for a manicure, maybe somewhere that offers nail art, as a bribe to let her nails grow long enough to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
16,474 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Reputation: 38739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
My 5 year old won't stop biting her nails, and I just found out it is worse than I thought as she's scraping them up from the bottom with her teeth which is making the entire nail come off. It must be really painful but she says she can't stop doing it. I've got her fingertips wrapped in plasters today but that's not a long term solution really, and I'm worried about why she is doing it, if its anxiety or something.

If it is serious enough that her entire nail is coming off you must take her to the doctor before it causes permanent damage to the nail & nail bed.


I know someone who was a "skin picker" and "eye brow hair puller". The doctor put her on some type of anti-anxiety medication designed for issues like that and the urge & obsession to do that stopped as soon as the medication started working (I believe that it took several weeks for the medication to be completely effective).


It is possible that talking to a counselor or therapist may help her, too.


Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Reputation: 10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If it is serious enough that her entire nail is coming off you must take her to the doctor before it causes permanent damage to the nail & nail bed.


I know someone who was a "skin picker" and "eye brow hair puller". The doctor put her on some type of anti-anxiety medication designed for issues like that and the urge & obsession to do that stopped as soon as the medication started working (I believe that it took several weeks for the medication to be completely effective).


It is possible that talking to a counselor or therapist may help her, too.


Good luck.
One is almost completely off and another one is half off and several have been partially chewed off at the bottom. Looks horrible and painful I'll call her nurse on Monday. She picks skin too, the skin on her feet started peeling a bit after hand, foot and mouth disease and then she just picked loads off and ate it, and picks at her lips if they get a crack and scab over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,223,751 times
Reputation: 10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My son is a nail picker. I never have tried to stop him. He has an anxiety disorder, I think its related. I just put bandaids on and made observational comments "it must have gotten hurt when you picked too hard". He put it together and is much more careful and hasn't hurt himself in quite a while. I also taught him to use the clippers so he keeps them short.

Maybe look at when she is biting them? Is it all the time? Is it when she is stressed? Is it when she is in bed? And then see if there is a solution there. I got my daughter to stop chewing her hair with chewy jewelry I got on amazon. She just did it for sensory issues so the chewing helped her. It only took a while and then she lost interest in the hair and the necklace.
Its whenever she is not otherwise engaged in something, so if her hands are free she is chewing on them, or her toenails if she doesn't have socks on. I think at night as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
When I was a kid, they used to sell some nasty tasting concoction that you could paint on the nails to make them less appealing to chew on.

I would offer to take her for a manicure, maybe somewhere that offers nail art, as a bribe to let her nails grow long enough to get it done.
I was about to order some of that nasty tasting stuff before I noticed the nails coming off, don't want to put anything on them while they're damaged like that in case it irritates the raw skin underneath. I've tried bribing her with nail polish, worked for a while a year ago but now even though she's desperate for the nail polish she can't stop but I'll take her to the nail place and let her see that she can get a really fancy manicure and nail polish if she stops and see if that works better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 11:31 AM
 
1,470 posts, read 1,386,390 times
Reputation: 1983
Usually in young children nail biting is anxiety related then becomes habit. I know you've posted about lots of upheaval in your and your child's personal life. This could be linked to it, potentially or maybe it's just a bad habit. You should speak with her doctor.

Personally, I was a terrible biter well into my 20s. Getting my nails done weekly has totally stopped the habit for long stretches. Then one day I find my finger in my mouth and the it starts again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 12:48 PM
 
11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Reputation: 18124
I'm in my fifties -- still do it, somewhat. I try to keep my hands busy. I crochet. I embroider. I read. If I am not doing that, nibble nibble. I no longer bite the nail, I attack my cuticles, or the tops of my fingers, the thickened skin of my finger bends....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2016, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Austin
7,077 posts, read 16,889,211 times
Reputation: 9484
I've chewed my nails since I was little. I used to like to stick my nails on the wall while in bed, but was always disappointed when they were gone in the morning. It took along time to understand they only stuck because they were wet and were just piling up under my bed against the wall...

I still chew my nails, but not from stress, but from boredom. I'm better at letting them grow since I was pregnant with my first and they were really strong. Now, I let them grow, and then like to bite them all the way across and then suck on the nail to keep me from eating in the kitchen. It's like an oral fixation, not stress.

To that extent, both my kids bite their nails when they're bored, even their toe nails. We were at a gymnastics meet last weekend, and my 8 year old was sitting in the middle of the warm-up area by herself chewing on her toe nails. I tried for 2-3 minutes to get her attention to stop, as everyone could see her. She just smiled and waved. My MIL takes her to get manicures, and it does not stop her from chewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top