U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,815,244 times
Reputation: 14677

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes, I understand that fully. I live in Colorado, where kids wear shorts year-around. We are talking about a preschooler. Even though the teens and pre-teens, and some adults here wear shorts in 39 degrees, they still dress their preschoolers and babies for the weather, including hats and gloves.
That's a fair point....but I always assume that persons attempting to parent other's kids without knowing facts do tend to exaggerate quite a bit, either the temperature of the attire IYKWIM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 10,092,186 times
Reputation: 20466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes, I understand that fully. I live in Colorado, where kids wear shorts year-around. We are talking about a preschooler. Even though the teens and pre-teens, and some adults here wear shorts in 39 degrees, they still dress their preschoolers and babies for the weather, including hats and gloves.
Colorado is warm compared to where I live! Children of all ages aren't bundled up like we're in Antarctica when it's 40 degrees outside. I see many babies in their baby carriers out in stores in a onesie or pjs. No coat in sight on warm days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 PM
 
Location: here
24,479 posts, read 28,808,759 times
Reputation: 31062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's a fair point....but I always assume that persons attempting to parent other's kids without knowing facts do tend to exaggerate quite a bit, either the temperature of the attire IYKWIM.
Ya, compared to here, it probably never gets cold enough in TX for pants. I wonder, though, about what the "norm" is there. I mean, here, all the teens and tweens wear shorts all the time. It sounds like there, this girl in her tight shorts and sandals is the exception, not the rule. Perhaps she really did move from a colder climate, or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 PM
 
Location: here
24,479 posts, read 28,808,759 times
Reputation: 31062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Colorado is warm compared to where I live! Children of all ages aren't bundled up like we're in Antarctica when it's 40 degrees outside. I see many babies in their baby carriers out in stores in a onesie or pjs. No coat in sight on warm days.
She did say 39 and windy, IIRC. Wind and sun make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,521,049 times
Reputation: 23714
But what if the father looked at the weather and by recess time it was supposed to be 52 and no mention of wind? What if the child had a sweat shirt in their bag? And/or had warmer clothes in their cubby. Or was a sensory kid and couldn't tolerate any of it.

The bottom line, casually mention it to the director or the teacher and then your conscience is clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 11:40 PM
 
489 posts, read 326,275 times
Reputation: 1662
My child dresses in what you may consider "inappropriate" in the morning for school; T shirt even if it is in the 30s and windy. Why? Because it is warm in the classroom and the weather warms up throughout the day. Oh, and she keeps a jacket in the coat closet.

Just a thought; maybe you aren't seeing the full picture?
It's not your job to be the fashion police.
Even preschoolers know enough to speak up if they are cold.

I vote:
mind your own business. That father may be wondering why you've dressed your kids up like Eskimos when it's going to be 65 degrees by noon.

edit: because curiosity got me wondering about Dallas weather. Says it's going to be in the mid 70s for the next 2 weeks. Seems the child in question is dressed just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Charlotte Area
3,172 posts, read 2,914,750 times
Reputation: 3529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
My child dresses in what you may consider "inappropriate" in the morning for school; T shirt even if it is in the 30s and windy. Why? Because it is warm in the classroom and the weather warms up throughout the day. Oh, and she keeps a jacket in the coat closet.

Just a thought; maybe you aren't seeing the full picture?
It's not your job to be the fashion police.
Even preschoolers know enough to speak up if they are cold.

I vote:
mind your own business. That father may be wondering why you've dressed your kids up like Eskimos when it's going to be 65 degrees by noon.

edit: because curiosity got me wondering about Dallas weather. Says it's going to be in the mid 70s for the next 2 weeks. Seems the child in question is dressed just fine.
This as well. If the girl was cold she would tell someone. This weather has also been wacky this winter up and down and starts out cold but ends up nice in a couple of hours.

Plus, if the school is warm that could be why she's dressing like she is (and heck maybe she dresses herself). My kid's school was very warm last year and this year my daughter's teacher pumps the heat in the classroom so E is always hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,103 posts, read 4,025,666 times
Reputation: 9986
Maybe theyre Canadian? Different regions have different tolerances for climate. I went to South Dakota in the Fall once and it was in the 50s at night. Everyone there was in sandals and t shirts/shorts. I was the Floridian in a hoody shivering to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 10:30 AM
 
5,089 posts, read 6,250,723 times
Reputation: 7845
I am from the Northeast. I am now a preschool teacher in Texas, so I think I am uniquely qualified to comment on this. Chances are, the teachers and/or director has already mentioned it to the parent(s). We can only do so much. I had one parent that I asked repeatedly to send a coat in, but she never did. Her son would say he was cold every day at recess. So every day, we would find a coat in lost and found for him to wear. Some parents are just that clueless, lazy or flat out don't care.

It drives me nuts when I see kids at my daughters' elementary school in shorts, no jacket, when it's 35 degrees out (yes, it gets that cold here). Parents say they are "picking their battles." That's a load of crap. It's a safety issue. Pick your battles with something else. What's worse is that often time those kids who are not dressed appropriately are not allowed to go to recess. So not only do they miss out on what I (and most researchers) consider a vital part of learning, but a teacher needs to give up her own time to sit and supervise them as they sit inside. Parents don't care; they are "picking their battles."

In this instance, I think there may be more going on. The school can only do so much. You may want to anonymously give him a bag of clothes and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 12:00 PM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,742,339 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I am from the Northeast. I am now a preschool teacher in Texas, so I think I am uniquely qualified to comment on this. Chances are, the teachers and/or director has already mentioned it to the parent(s). We can only do so much. I had one parent that I asked repeatedly to send a coat in, but she never did. Her son would say he was cold every day at recess. So every day, we would find a coat in lost and found for him to wear. Some parents are just that clueless, lazy or flat out don't care.

It drives me nuts when I see kids at my daughters' elementary school in shorts, no jacket, when it's 35 degrees out (yes, it gets that cold here). Parents say they are "picking their battles." That's a load of crap. It's a safety issue. Pick your battles with something else. What's worse is that often time those kids who are not dressed appropriately are not allowed to go to recess. So not only do they miss out on what I (and most researchers) consider a vital part of learning, but a teacher needs to give up her own time to sit and supervise them as they sit inside. Parents don't care; they are "picking their battles."

In this instance, I think there may be more going on. The school can only do so much. You may want to anonymously give him a bag of clothes and see what happens.
Ok, but if the parent is "picking his battles" and all the teachers are aware of it, all the more reason to not mention it (not suggesting you said to mention it). If a person isn't going to change the way they parent after a teacher has asked repeatedly, another parent doing so isn't going to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top