U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:03 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,695,818 times

Advertisements

How much to pay is really going to depend on your area. I know all of the college kids around here would be flooding you with applications if you were paying $15/hour, which is almost double what they would make working "normal" teen/college jobs.

Having kids in the age range you are looking, I would have zero issues having them drive my kids to activities, but we live in a smaller town. You can do a background driving check if you wanted them to drive and see if they have had any moving violations, etc. Around here, most college kids have 5+ years of driving experience, which isn't the case everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 AM

3,169 posts, read 2,899,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Have you looked at care.com? It's a fabulous resource.

I'm in CT so the price might be more here but I'd say maybe $220 a week, plus gas money and fees for activities. I'd also pay her cost for the activity such as a museum pass or movie ticket.

Depending on where you live, you might have to pay a bit more since it's a short term period.
I thought about having someone do it for the whole summer 3 days per week but the rate's are the same as I would pay at the Y for a full week. The kids get more activities at the Y and plus they have a ton of kids to hang out with.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:30 AM

9,003 posts, read 16,133,914 times
If the Y summer day camp is a option I would go for it.

One thing to keep in mind, that the "other" actives, Bowling, Skating etc. With just your Kids, and the sitter will tend to be boring for the kids. Since its just them and the sitter, you may have other random kids/families there, but it one-off's.

Doing a organized Summer Camp provides a summer long program, that will keep them busy, with friends.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:38 AM

3,169 posts, read 2,899,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If the Y summer day camp is a option I would go for it.

One thing to keep in mind, that the "other" actives, Bowling, Skating etc. With just your Kids, and the sitter will tend to be boring for the kids. Since its just them and the sitter, you may have other random kids/families there, but it one-off's.

Doing a organized Summer Camp provides a summer long program, that will keep them busy, with friends.
They've done it the past two summers and by the end of last summer didn't want to go anymore. So, I am looking for some variety. I plan to send them to the Y camp for a few weeks and then camp grandma/Grandpa for a couple of weeks (3 days per week) and then a sitter.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:54 AM

579 posts, read 554,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
$200-$220/week. I wouldn't hire a teen if it involved driving my kids around though.
I live a little north on New york City and childcare rates are $15 per hour for an experienced nanny and slightly less (~$12 per hour) for a college student like you are discussing. With driving, its probably a little higher to cover gas/auto. I would say for 20 hours per week (which gives you a little fudge time if you are running late) $250 per week. Most college kids would be happy with this as its not full time. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:56 AM

4,084 posts, read 3,066,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is not even $10/hr.
I know, but I live in a low COL area. I grew up and started off my adult life in New England, where I'm sure the prices are much higher... this definitely varies depending on where in the country you are.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:10 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,498,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
They've done it the past two summers and by the end of last summer didn't want to go anymore. So, I am looking for some variety. I plan to send them to the Y camp for a few weeks and then camp grandma/Grandpa for a couple of weeks (3 days per week) and then a sitter.
My kids get sick of camp too. Its such a pain trying to keep it interesting and keep them busy. Working rom home will give you flexibility with a sitter. My kids love being with a sitter, they think its a blast. I might let a teenager drive my kids if I had her stay off any main roads.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,817,526 times
12 years ago in suburban Texas I was paid $10/hour for a gig like that, though it was for the entire summer. I drove the kids to activities, took them to the pool, etc. I was paid for gas and my admission to anything the mom asked me to do. I was 18 & 19 the summers I did this.

Now I would expect to pay at least $12/hour.

One thing you might consider is some sort of childcare share--I did that the 2nd summer with two families and it worked out great. I made $15 watching three kids between two families. The families paid less and the kids got along great. It's a good way to cut costs. Most sitters wont care much about the extra kids, but you have to pay them a good base amount for the cost of their time, especially short term.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:44 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,134,030 times
Are there no other weekly summer day camps around? I live in a small city and there's zillions.

My kids are going to a "day care camp" as they are still pretty young, which is $210 a week. They go bowling, swimming, and do crafts, science experiments, etc. But my eldest will also do another week at Space Camp day camp for $275.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,662,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I thought about having someone do it for the whole summer 3 days per week but the rate's are the same as I would pay at the Y for a full week. The kids get more activities at the Y and plus they have a ton of kids to hang out with.
Go for camp! Yes having a nanny is nice but unless your kids are super active with friends around to do things during the day they'll get bored. Even the best nanny runs out of ideas at times.

Camp is awesome, I went every summer and loved it. I had a whole group if camp friends and are still close with many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting