Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:44 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times

Advertisements

My mom made me write thank you notes and I do the same with my kids.

So is this another "dinosaur behavior"????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 11:32 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
I'd tend to call it polite, not old-fashioned. It's not something done often anymore, which is a shame. It should be.

My parents never had us write thank you notes, so when my kids were growing up I never thought of it. Then my husband and I began dating and he did tell me right up front that his family writes thank you notes religiously. I love it. I think it's the least you can do for someone who has taken time out of their life to think of, and purchase something for you.

The kids and I write them now for even the bank teller going to extra mile as to make sure a check we deposit is put in to be available immediately instead of having to wait a day or two for it, the vet tech spending a few extra minutes with us when we've had to have a pet put to sleep, etc. It's just..... polite.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,227 times
This is one of those things that I feel so bad about not doing! I DO make my daughter call and talk to the person and say thank you, but since I never mail anything, I never have stamps! I know, its a poor excuse.

But, come to think of it, we never get thank you letters either...and quite often not even a phone call. I had mailed my nephew (who is a baby) and my uncle (who is NOT a baby) both gifts and never heard anything from them- but I know we called and spoke and said thank you ( uncle had sent the kids $).

Old 02-10-2008, 12:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
You are right mommiewrites-poor excuse. A call is better then nothing, but a 'note' is something that takes effort and is a wonderful thing to teach our kids. Maybe if you did have them write a note- you in turn would recieve some back

Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You are right mommiewrites-poor excuse. A call is better then nothing, but a 'note' is something that takes effort and is a wonderful thing to teach our kids. Maybe if you did have them write a note- you in turn would recieve some back
I don't think it would make any difference. I'm happy if we get a call saying thanks (if nothing else it lets me know it arrived!!). Maybe its just something they don't think of?

Like I said, i do require my daughter to call- which means she MAKES the call- not mom calling to say hi and oh by the way, rachel wants to tell you something- she has to do all the work herself!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:59 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
I wish more mommies did that. Your kids will only benefit from your good example. Seems manners are a lost art.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
When my sister and I were growing up (we're now in our 50's) our parents made us write thank-you notes to our relatives whenever we were sent presents (Christmas, birthdays, etc.) We even were made to write an occasional letter to say "hello". My sister has two sons, both in high school. When they were too young to write, we sent them gifts for every occasion. Once they were old enough to write, we told my sister that we'd like to get thank-you notes from her kids to stay in touch. She told us that thank-you notes were no longer in fashion. We told her that they, indeed, still were. So we stopped sending gifts. (I guess my sister and I are both stubborn...) To this day, we rarely hear anything from them unless my sister calls. I've talked to the older son on the phone a few times, but we hardly know our two nephews. I feel sad about that. My sister is Born-Again, we're not. That's no problem for us, but sometimes we feel like she is afraid we'll "brainwash" her kids. (We feel that it is not our business to discuss religion with our nephews)

Any advice, comments?

Nothing wrong with "old fashioned" ~ you say it like it is something bad!! LOL

I always send thank you notes and have my kids do the same. Good manners never go out of style!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM

43 posts, read 181,875 times
We send thank you notes. Our kids are too young to write notes so they draw pictures. Then I send them with a thank you note.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Many thanks for all the thoughtful replies, All! We've gone between "Why punish the kids for their mother's parenting" to "They should hopefully learn a good lesson from this". No, we don't elieve good manners are old-fashoined or ever go out of style. And all the new technology is fine, but the effort to write counts for something (and teaches a good skill, wife and I believe).

Old 02-11-2008, 04:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

So I don't think times have changed, but rather some lessons get learned and some lessons go unheeded even when good examples are set.
Yes. Sad but true.
I agree with Mrshvo that it can be interesting to coexist with people who were raised differently.
Just from a practical point of view, it's nice for the giver to know whether or not the gift has been received and not lost in the mail or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting