U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 22,147,144 times

Advertisements

The OP is from 3 1/2 years ago.....

Oh heck...as long as it's started how about these family values: I believe the best situation for children is to be wanted and loved; to have a family who is willing and able to provide for them, to raise them withan attitude of caring and hopefulness for the future; to be grateful for what they have and compassionate toward those who have less. That they accept love as well as give it. Pretty much everything else is gravy.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-24-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,353,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Bruce View Post
Mothers need to stay home with their children. Period. Say what you want about the 1950's, do you really honestly think it's better the way it is now? It wasn't perfect and I would like to think we have learned some things, especially don't want to go backwards on our civil rights achievements, however, it is a MESS now. I mean for crying out loud we have TV shows making stars out of little girls that got knocked up. We have movie stars thinking it's funny to go out in a short skirt with no underwear. People don't even bothered getting married half the time. If we could take what we have learned from our past and begin to try to go back to encouraging family values and discouraging the sex/drug crazed mess that we have now, then we just might be able to save this society. Don't tell me that it can't be done and don't tell me that people can't afford for the mom to stay home. There is always a way, it might not be perfect, but there are ways. We are broke but we are making it. I save tons of money being home by cooking from scratch and being careful how I use our food. I also make homemade laundry detergent, etc....The stress that was eliminated from our live when I started to stay home with the kids has been enormous. We are all so much happier and my kids aren't sick anymore. Daycare had them sick all the time. If young women were taught that they could do this as an option and taught how to survive on less, I think a lot of women would choose this. Too many young girls are growing up watching that mess on tv and thinking that's how it is, when that's not how it has to be. It's also important for them to have a church to support them and encourage them. Having a church family as well as your real family can make a big difference in your life.
lol. 1 post and this is what they post.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM

24,477 posts, read 28,782,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
lol. 1 post and this is what they post.
I know. I love it when brand new people come, find a post that is 3 years old, answer it, then disappear.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,484,664 times
42 million divorces since 1975 (no fault divorce bday), 70% filed by women.
at 67% divorce rate, i dont think you are guna have alota takers.
as to kids, they stay in home til 40 and expect college to be paid for and often want GF and her kids housed as well. monster liability
there is a reason marriage is down 50%
even an amoeba avoids electric shock after awhile.
if you wana lament, lament for the would be retirees that are putting up with this circus.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-25-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,747,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
When I was a child back in the 1950s many women stayed home and focused on taking care of the home and having babies and the fathers would work and make the money for the home. My parents were like this too. And many families bored 3 to 4 children and people would graduate high school and immediately get married to their high school sweethearts and have children almost immediately after they married. Median age of marriage for women was 20 and men 22. Total Fertility Rate was 3 in 1950 and almost 4 in 1960 due to the Post War II Baby Boom. Now fast forward to the present, people get married get married at a later and have children later and families are smaller too. (Except for the recent large family boom.) Women are more likely to work than stay home now and divorce rates are skyhigh at 40%-60% while in the 1950s and 1960s that rate was only 10%-20%. And average marriage is about 25 for women and 27 for men and the childless rate is about 19% while in 1950 that was only 14%.

The new president of the US whoever it may be should try to work on marriage and divorce rates and encourage to bring back the lifestyle of families of the nuclear family golden age of the 1950s and the 1960s. It would help to make the US a more stable and peaceful country. We should start offering more marriage counselor classes and encourage more couples to have children. I think that the increase in women working has caused the divorce rate to explode because of more stress. We eat out now too more and we hardly sit down with our families anymore and be happy and loving towards one another. Also, the inventions of computers, iPod, dvds, wii, playstation, cellphones, and surround sound has caused to barely to know our families anymore.

A return to the nuclear age with the mother, the father, kids, and pets would be a wonderful thing. Our family structure has collapsed and broken apart.
You do realize you are not describing traditional values, right? The 1950's were a blip, an anomoly. Before and after the 1950's, moms worked. Before, they worked the family farm or the family business and worked cottage industries making goods they could barter for other goods. In the past, women were so vital to the survival of the family that men went looking for a new wife if they lost one. Now, women contribute financially by working a job. The job has taken the place of the work on the farm, or family business and the paycheck has taken the place of the goods mom would have bartered what she made for. Today's working mom is actually closer to the model of a traditional mother than a 1950's SAHM.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,627,712 times
I just find it hysterically funny that the OP thought this is something the president should be working on.

2008...the economy was collapsing, we were involved in two wars...and yet the job of the POTUS is to bring back some sort of perceived "traditional values".

It's kind of disturbing that someone who thinks this way is raising children.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just find it hysterically funny that the OP thought this is something the president should be working on.
Well, he is living in a multi-generational household. (Michelle's mother lives with them in the WH.) There's a couple of posters here who would like that.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, he is living in a multi-generational household. (Michelle's mother lives with them in the WH.) There's a couple of posters here who would like that.
Hey, for a time I did the same thing! I was getting divorced, wanted my daughter to be in my mother's town because I worked and couldn't afford to live there on my own, and so we lived in my parents household, which included my brother, his daughter on the weekends, and my grandmother. There were four generations under the same roof, but it is a big house so we had our space. I think it did my daughter good. Also, since then, my father, grandmother and brother have all died, so I'm glad my daughter had a chance to know them while they were still here.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
When I was a child back in the 1950s many women stayed home and focused on taking care of the home and having babies and the fathers would work and make the money for the home. My parents were like this too. And many families bored 3 to 4 children and people would graduate high school and immediately get married to their high school sweethearts and have children almost immediately after they married.
This is a Good Thing? Make the biggest commitment of your LIFE when still practically a child? I thik about how much I learned and grew and matured between high school and getting married at the young age of 23. The added benefit that the college education gave both in terms of maturity as well as self reliance is wonderful. I don't NEED a man for money. I can earn my own living. So when I committed to my husband, I was free to do it for love.

Quote:
Median age of marriage for women was 20 and men 22.
20 and 22 is not the normal age of a high school graduate.

Quote:
Total Fertility Rate was 3 in 1950 and almost 4 in 1960 due to the Post War II Baby Boom.
And given our global over population, are you suggesting we should each be having MORE children?

Quote:
Now fast forward to the present, people get married get married at a later and have children later and families are smaller too. (Except for the recent large family boom.) Women are more likely to work than stay home now and divorce rates are skyhigh at 40%-60% while in the 1950s and 1960s that rate was only 10%-20%.
How many people were stuck in miserable marriages because of the taboo of divorce or the inability to support themselves? The divorce rate is not the best metric of healthy relationships.

Quote:
The new president of the US whoever it may be should try to work on marriage and divorce rates and encourage to bring back the lifestyle of families of the nuclear family golden age of the 1950s and the 1960s.
Man oh manichevitz do I wish the government would get out of the social engineering business. They stink at it. They assume cause when there is only correlation and create some pretty big muddles. Tax break for being married becomes tax break as a REASON to get or stay married regardless of how unhealthy your marriage and parental relationships may be.

Quote:
It would help to make the US a more stable and peaceful country. We should start offering more marriage counselor classes and encourage more couples to have children. I think that the increase in women working has caused the divorce rate to explode because of more stress.
Or because we no longer have to put up with lying, cheating, abusive sacks of meal just to stay fed.

Quote:
We eat out now too more and we hardly sit down with our families anymore and be happy and loving towards one another.
We eat out a fair amount. At a table. With each other. We are very happy and loving toward each other.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 AM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
I was born in the 1950's and lot's of the women who stayed home had drinking and prescription drug problems. My own mom had a nervous breakdown. I'm not blaming it on her staying home with us kids but who the heck knows?

There is no perfect society or perfect time in history. Life is what you are living now, everything else is fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting