Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 PM

108 posts, read 290,756 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm a male in my 40's and happily married for 13 years. And I have never wanted a baby. The thought has always scared me to death. I see it as a huge responsibility that I don't want, almost like having a 2nd job. I thought in my 20's "well I'll feel differently in my 30's". But that never happened.
In my early 30's I did research at my work and asked seriously about 20 different married guys who were older and had kids, if they knew for sure they wanted kids, or did they just go with the flow and have them even though they had doubts? Not one of them said they had any doubts about it. They all were 100% sure they wanted kids before they had them. So basically I was totally the opposite of them.

Anyone have theories on why some people like me don't want babies? I have another friend who loves kids, plays with his little cousins all the time but like me is adamant on not ever having any babies (he is married too). I noticed we both have something similar, our fathers were very stern / serious, and not the best fathers in the world. Was thinking that was the reason why? My brother also does not want kids. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Kids are like a second job. There are some rewarding moments in parenthood but there's a lot of hard work in between those rewarding moments.

It's perfectly fine if you don't want kids, as long as your wife feels the same way. Maybe you just have different goals from the guys who knew they wanted kids. There are things you can do and afford when you don't have kids, which are more difficult when you do have kids.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:50 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Assuming one is a responsible parent, they are a significant responsibility; they cost a lot of money to care, feed and raise; you can no longer do what you want when you want, etc.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 AM

92 posts, read 70,086 times
Too much work for little reward in my opinion.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:31 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Good for you in that you know what you want. I think the world would be a better place if only people who truly wanted kids had them.

It doesn't matter why you don't want them.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:12 PM

510 posts, read 500,123 times
If it makes you feel better humans have been trying to control pregnancy for as long as there has been written record, and probably a few hundred thousand years before that. There is some evidence Neanderthals actively practiced infanticide to control their populations.

It may actually be a near universal train among humans to control their birth rate. Since humans have no mating season ,in theory, kids can be born anytime. We also have an exceptionally long period between childhood and adulthood, which means a certain populace percentage cannot actively contribute resources to the tribe, but will actively use said resources. It actually makes sense for humans to want to limit their offspring to levels they feel they can actually rear, or in some case, never have.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I've never really had a paternal instinct at all. Even if I did, a couple things would stop me.

1) Cost - it's probably going to cost well into the six figures to raise each child into adulthood, starting today. That's a huge amount of money that doesn't go into retirement funds or other purposes.

I've also seen a couple cases where the child ended up severely ill, bankrupting the family. A woman who graduated from my high school a few years before me had two children, and then the third ended up with some sort of heart disease, requiring heart and double lung transplant, along with numerous other surgeries, that basically confined him to a hospital for years before dying at 7 years old. The wife had to stop working and I can't even imagine the expense of this. It's well beyond the capacity for virtually anyone to pay.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
There is nothing wrong with not wanting kids! They ARE expensive and time consuming if cared for well. On the other hand, they are a lot of fun and can grow up to be your best friend.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 PM

572 posts, read 279,995 times
I don't think there's just one reason for it, but here are some ideas:

1. Because it requires people to be responsible and stop living their lives purely for themselves. This doesn't apply to people with poor impulse control, of course.

2. Because you're afraid of becoming your own father.

3. Because you feel like other things are more important.

4. Because you're afraid of change.

And more...

Old 03-14-2016, 02:17 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I don't think there's just one reason for it, but here are some ideas:

1. Because it requires people to be responsible and stop living their lives purely for themselves. This doesn't apply to people with poor impulse control, of course.

2. Because you're afraid of becoming your own father.

3. Because you feel like other things are more important.

4. Because you're afraid of change.

And more...
Not really, not anymore. Between the schools and welfare programs that all has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting