U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 PM

383 posts, read 266,368 times

Advertisements

We tried to make a move back to my home state before my oldest started kinder. Life events got in the way, and we didn't make the move. Fast forward about 12 1/2 years, and things fell in to place, allowing us to make this long awaited change. My oldest is now 14 (13 when we moved.) This has been a great move in so many ways, and we have no regrets. However, I will say this has been the hardest year with my daughter, with some pretty big issues related to move stress, anxiety and making new friends. We are seeing the light, and some of it may have just been teenager stuff we would have seen if we hadn't moved, but I often think that it would have been a heck of a lot easier if we would have made this move before school ever started for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 PM

14,333 posts, read 20,585,793 times
Every kid is different. We moved with my children when they were six and eight my daughter did very well, however my son had an extraordinarily hard time and really struggled. We moved from a place were both kids had a very close circle of friends to a new town not far away with better schools similar to your situation. Looking back I am not sure I would do it again.

We moved again five years later and this time to transition surprisingly better! My son was entering eighth-grade my daughter entering sixth grade they both are much happier here and have made great friends and a very smooth transition. I think it's hard to say what is right for your child only you can decide .

Old 03-14-2016, 10:44 PM

7,626 posts, read 14,000,134 times
Another military family here, and we moved all the time (not by choice, but by orders). There have been studies that show that military kids seem more "adaptable" because of the fact they move constantly and have to learn to make new friends and learn new things required of their parents time serving.

Sometimes things we look at with dread or in trepidation, kids look at as new adventures! Present your kids with the "new adventure" aspect vs concern and they might just shine vs suffer the move.

Heck our kids had to learn to deal with different languages/food/culture vs a move in the same town. I think see lots of "stability" in your move given they will still be in the same area, just different school/neighborhood.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:54 PM

489 posts, read 325,488 times
Don't forget about moving and the affects on you and your husband as well.
Moving now while you have only 1 non-school aged child will be a million times easier than in 10 years with 2 preteens! (not to mention 10 years worth of 4 people's stuff)

However, just to make your decision harder you also need to look at the flip side: schools.
You mention upper grades being bad schools? Is there any chance of that changing? Don't know where you live but most places change quite a bit in a decade. Could the schools get better, worse, could the district re-draw boundary lines, could you save and be able to send your kids to a private school, maybe a charter school will open up.... If the high school is your only reason to move, you may want to re-consider.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:26 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,333,064 times
if the new school district is closer, like next town over.. could you send ur kids there while still living in current house. we have school of choose and its very common for kids to attend school in different district

Old 03-15-2016, 11:48 AM

5,029 posts, read 4,843,775 times
Definitely sooner rather than later. I don't see many benefits with waiting.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:43 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,515,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
if the new school district is closer, like next town over.. could you send ur kids there while still living in current house. we have school of choose and its very common for kids to attend school in different district
I wouldn't count on that being an option. I've never heard of anyone doing that in the Chicago area, for example. We had to jump through a ton of hoops to start school in our new district because the house my parents were building was not ready yet, but they didn't want us going to school in one district for a few weeks and then transferring to another. We ended up having to rent an apartment in the district in order to attend.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 PM

3,171 posts, read 2,906,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
If that was an option people wouldn't be sending their kids to private schools.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 PM

383 posts, read 266,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Don't forget about moving and the affects on you and your husband as well.
Moving now while you have only 1 non-school aged child will be a million times easier than in 10 years with 2 preteens! (not to mention 10 years worth of 4 people's stuff)
Amen to that!!!! Had we moved with one kid, pre-school, we could have moved and rented a house anywhere, and then found the one we wanted to buy in the neighborhood/school zone we wanted. With school age kids, you either need to buy up front in the neighborhood you "think" you want, or rent where you want and hope to find a house to buy there, so the kids don't have to move schools, or rent and then when you buy, your kids may have to go to different schools again.

It adds so many more layers of complexity to it, and you are right on about how much more "stuff" you have later. 12 1/2 years ago, we still had most of our cheap college furniture, that we could have sold before we moved, and then moved with a small UHaul.

Still glad we moved, but I do have a quite a few more gray hairs from the stress of all of it!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM

4,956 posts, read 3,146,886 times
My family moved to a different state when I was entering 7th grade, and it was without a doubt the most miserable experience of my life. While everyone else in school had grown up together, I was the outsider. And so I remained. Worst two years of my life. It was better in high school, at least.

So, based solely on my own experience, I would recommend moving sooner rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or