U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:04 PM

387 posts, read 444,482 times

Advertisements

My daughter became afraid at about 4 yrs. old. We would sit her giant lion stuffed animal by her door to keep anything unwanted away. She believed he protected her and we all slept soundly. She outgrew it quickly.
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 PM

2,082 posts, read 792,368 times
Don't let them watch TV or movies. That's where the fear comes from.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 5,276,562 times
Buy your kid a flashlight.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:41 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,945,131 times
A flashlight is better than monster spray for five reasons: (1) The light beam carries to the farthest corners of the room and also into the closet. (2) Monster spray can make a mess, even if the mess is usually minor. The minor messes add up if you have to keep using it for years. (3) Playing with the flashlight can help kids sleep easier, regardless of monsters. If the flashlight is left on all night, modern LED flashlights tend to use batteries a lot less than older incandescent flashlights, for the same amount of brightness. Or if battery usage is a problem, you could use rechargeable batteries. (4) Monster spray suggests monsters are probably real, or it wouldn't be called monster spray. A flashlight is multi-purpose, so there isn't really any need to even mention monsters. (5) Flashlights are actually more effective, because monsters are even more afraid of light than they are of monster spray.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:42 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
Nightlights. Flashlight/lantern. Let the child have immediate control over the illumination of his closet and his room. He'll grow out of it just like millions of other kids. Don't make a bigger deal out of it (monster scanners, room and closet searches) that what it already is.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 PM

10,374 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Use a nightlight. That's what they're for. A dog helps, too. Or instead of a nightlight, put a dim light on in the closet and leave the door cracked.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:01 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,221,841 times
I tried monster spray - worked wonderfully for 3 nights and then she was back in our room again scared that there might be monsters that like the smell of monster spray so don't stay away. So we had a long discussion about how monsters don't exist. Didn't work either. Last night bribery (she gets a Spiderman backpack for sleeping in her room all night) and a torch worked.

I think for some kids nothing will work for long and its just a matter of waiting until they grow out of it.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:33 AM

5,088 posts, read 9,036,966 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MOGdPzzvY

Try that.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,035,343 times
You might try getting her to harness her imagination to get rid of the monster. I didn't realize my daughter was even afraid of monsters in her room til she told me that she would envision the monster stuck to the floor beside her bed so he couldn't get her. You can also do some sort of guided imagery with her and always have it end with her being brave and making the monster leave her room. Or, having the monster turn out to be sweet and her best friend. Maybe watch Monsters, Inc. together?

Also, my daughter did go through a long period where she was afraid to fall asleep because she was afraid she would have scary dreams. I told her that I could sniff her and predict what she would dream. (I have no idea how I came up with that--other than I was tired and really wanted to go to bed!) Anyway, I'd sniff her arm and tell her she was going to dream about having a litter of puppies to play with. Or that she owned an ice cream store and could eat ice cream all day. Or that we had a water park in the backyard, etc. I think she would focus on those fun thoughts as she went to sleep. We had that routine for a really long time. Maybe you can try to do something like that.

Good luck and have faith that it won't last too long.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:48 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,437,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Don't let them watch TV or movies. That's where the fear comes from.
I was essentially forced to watch horror movies between 4-6.

I was afraid of the dark until I was literally between 12-13.

I liked my nightlight. It was a constant light so I could always see everything going on. (Which was nothing but still comforting.)

I never believed in monsters. I just thought ghosts were gonna come down from the attic and "get me" since my room was attached to it. OR...... intruders were gonna come from outside and slash me up because my bedroom was first at top of stairs.

Now that I think of it, the movies I were mostly exposed to as a kid were DIRECTLY related to people coming back from the dead and/or people getting hacked to pieces.

Monsters Schmonsters!!

My advice, having lived it and remembering what soothed me, is the kid needs a nightlight until he says he doesn't. And don't try and rationalize about it too much with him. That will merely keep reminding him about the monters.

Lots of grown ups like nightlights too to help them navigate in the dark.

#NightlighsNoShame

#WhoIsInYourCloset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or