Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,634,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my son wanted to be a pro golfer - hes a very good player , but I convinced him,,,,that in a down economy
jobs are tough to come by at golf courses.

I suggested he be an engineer or a pharmacist....
go to college for 6 years keep your nose clean and study hard,,,and he can hit the ground making 100k a yr, while making a difference in peoples lives.

then he can have nice things,,,,use his brain not his back..
and I will pay 15k a yr ..
an opportunity I never had,,,

well, I leveraged/remortgaged my house, max'd 2 credit cards....but in 2 months he will graduate as a dr. of pharmacy in the top 5% of his class.. 6 yrs of college

yes, im very proud of him.. he does like what he is doing
You have a right to be very proud indeed. Kudos to your son! I only hope my daughter comes to her senses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:23 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,188,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
You have a right to be very proud indeed. Kudos to your son! I only hope my daughter comes to her senses.
if my son didn't go to college,,,that would be his choice,,,and I would still support him,,,,
if he was a lazy slug, or into drugs,,,,,id be direct with him..

however ....theirs always balance in life....

yes, im very proud of my son,,,,,he's my only kid....good chance he may move out of state and I wont see him much ,,,,that selfishly,,,would suck,,

would I rather him be living near me ..of course!!

but he's got to do his own thing...as all kids do

Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,401,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my son wanted to be a pro golfer - hes a very good player , but I convinced him,,,,that in a down economy
jobs are tough to come by at golf courses.

I suggested he be an engineer or a pharmacist....
go to college for 6 years keep your nose clean and study hard,,,and he can hit the ground making 100k a yr, while making a difference in peoples lives.

then he can have nice things,,,,use his brain not his back..
and I will pay 15k a yr ..
an opportunity I never had,,,

well, I leveraged/remortgaged my house, max'd 2 credit cards....but in 2 months he will graduate as a dr. of pharmacy in the top 5% of his class.. 6 yrs of college

yes, im very proud of him.. he does like what he is doing
At the same time, you definitely got lucky that he ended up enjoying the pharmacist degree. He very well could have not liked it, and resented you for pushing him in that direction.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,327,161 times
Underemployment is the rule for many, if not most, these days. So many university graduates are working in completely unrelated fields to their studies or even making much less than their educational attainment might indicate and this has been common for at least a couple of decades if not more.

Instead of basing your respect for your children on their source of income, maybe take pride in their character, interests and hobbies, and how they treat other people. A much better indication of how you raised them.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Is it honest?
Do they like it?
Do they make enough $ to do whatever they want?

Then I'm fine.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,457,177 times
Sorry, I must disagree. I would feel proud if my children end up being decent human beings, who are also self sufficient, honest, empathetic, possess morals, have a hard work ethic. I feel people judge success by the figures in a paycheck and that's misplaced. Neither my husband nor I have college degrees but we can be considered successful because we are hard workers, good at what we do, and have "put in the work" to obtain the requisite experience that leads to making more money. I'm not trying to sound cliché here, but I really want my girls to be good people and not have to rely on others to meet their needs. No matter what they do, I want them to work hard. If it means $16 per hour or $160,000 per year, it doesn't matter.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,401,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Is it honest?
Do they like it?
Do they make enough $ to do whatever they want?

Then I'm fine.
Short and sweet!!!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:24 AM

4,269 posts, read 6,290,988 times
As long as my kids are employed and able to move out of the house and support themselves fully and responsibly, I don't care what they choose to do for a living, or that they go to college.

Okay, well, I don't want them in the sex trade, but other than that, they can do whatever they want!

Right now my son is leaning towards joining the Air Force after high school in order to get assistance paying for a college degree while serving his country. My daughter wants to be an artist, but since that generally doesn't pay well, I'm encouraging her to think about careers that will enable her to have time to do art in the off-hours. She has thought about healthcare in some capacity - something that only requires a 2-year degree though.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM

297 posts, read 841,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I agree. And "pride" is simply a parental narcissism. Who cares whether you are "proud" or not, besides you...
This. I was thinking this but couldn't quite find the words.

As a parent, as long as they are fully functioning adults and are generally god people, I will feel confident that I've done my job.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:03 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,756,911 times
I will be happy with my kids if they are happy.

I will be proud of my kids if they fulfill (or surpass) their potential, or at least give their best attempt to do so, whatever that may be for each kid.

If my kid could have done great things, but becomes a slacker, I'm not sure I could honestly call myself proud. I'd still love them with my whole heart though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting