U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 AM

13,465 posts, read 21,212,300 times

Advertisements

My children are all doing the jobs that they would do for free. They worked hard getting the qualifications to achieve that.

None are Rocket Scientists or Brain Surgeons, or in the 6 figure pay scale.

I am so proud they are such family oriented people who enjoy spending lots of quality time with their children, instead of hiring nannies and day care centers to raise the children as they struggle to pay for the most degrees, the best cars and the biggest houses,etc.

In my eyes that makes them "high achievers". They are happy, their kids are well adjusted and happy, and that makes me very happy and proud of them.

p.s. in defense of truck drivers, my son is a Union truck driver bringing in about 90g a year with full benefits. He is home every night with his family. He has logged over 2 million accident, incident free miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 9,058,138 times
It's not. The only thing that mattes is are they happy with what they are doing.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 AM

1,937 posts, read 1,162,340 times
Self-sufficiency and happiness. That's what I want for my son. He just turned 18 and doesn't want to go to college atm because he doesn't know what he wants to do. So, he's getting a basic job for a while and starting his own small business online. As long as he's working toward something, I'm good.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:40 AM

251 posts, read 212,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I agree. And "pride" is simply a parental narcissism. Who cares whether you are "proud" or not, besides you...

I believe this sentiment as well. As long as they are fully functioning financially without the support of mommy & daddy. I will say I've done my job as a parent. *a bit tongue and cheek *

Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,836,206 times
My daughter is a freshman in college. She did very well in high school - got good grades in the hard classes, pursued an array of diverse extracurricular activities - and got accepted to a good private university. There she is excelling. I have no doubt she could pursue any number of doctorates (she is extremely good at mathematics, for example) that would lead to lucrative careers.

She's going to be an elementary school teacher. This is what she has wanted since she was little. She has spent many weeks over all the summers of her high school career volunteering in the Bridges to Kindergarten program led by my wife (a kindergarten teacher - the program is for students identified as needing a bit extra before starting kindergarten). She's a natural.

She'll neither get rich nor make what she could in other professions in which she is fully capable of succeeding. But it is what she wants to do. I think she will find fulfillment there. And it is a noble calling.

And that's good enough for me! (not that I think she has to take my desires into account in her career choices - I don't).

Old 03-22-2016, 08:21 AM

3,836 posts, read 6,613,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
My husband is a delivery driver. He is Hazmat endorsed (NOT an easy endorsement) and delivers propane now, but has delivered heating oil, gasoline and heavy oil used to build roads. He graduated with honors from junior college, but chose not to continue with his bachelors because he couldn't afford to pay for it in cash (he's super frugal and refused to go the student loan route).

His parents have long made fun of him for this and told him that not all kids are smart enough for a 4-year degree program, but that at one time in his life, he was smart enough. Not a very nice thing to say, especially since they didn't do any post-high school education.

As someone with a Bachelors, some graduate work and 15 years of professional experience under her belt, I can say that a bachelors degree doesn't equate brains and any profession or trade is only as good as their person performing it.

My husband is VERY good at what he does and usually ends up the trainer and/or manager because of his dedication to safety, accuracy and customer service. The kind of work he does requires mathematical skill, quick thinking and excellent communication skills so it's definitely NOT a non-skilled job. People performing jobs like this should never be looked down on.

I am not a parent, but I did raise my younger brother after our parents passed away and he didn't go the traditional route either, and that doesn't bother me. He enjoys his work and is a happy and productive person in society and that's what matters to me. Even though he works a lot of hours, he still volunteers at both nursing homes and a homeless shelter. That makes me more proud than if he had a 6-figure income at a Fortune 100 company.

It's not about the career choice, it's about the life. Times have changed. If the child is a good person contributing to a better society, isn't that enough?
Not everyone has the Self-discipline to get a degree without debt. That's something to be proud of.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 AM

323 posts, read 251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Not everyone has the Self-discipline to get a degree without debt. That's something to be proud of.
Yes, I am quite proud of him. He's a good man with a good heart who works hard and exercises a great deal of financial discipline.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM

3,297 posts, read 2,185,447 times
My mother made my life miserable because she wanted me to practice law and pretty much browbeat me into going to law school. Although I did go and did well, I became a patent agent instead because my undergraduate degree was in engineering (which wasn't enough for her) and I didn't want to practice law.

I am trying not to do that to my own daughter - ever since she was three years old she's wanted to be a veterinarian and got in UC Davis Veterinary Medicine School in 2014 at the age of 22. Now, she is talking about being an animal cop and rescuing abused domestic animals. I think veterinary medicine is her true calling and I am disappointed (but hopeful), but I realize it is her life and her decision. Her fiance wants to be a policeman and I feel like he is unduly influencing her but my husband told me to stay out of it - so I'm trying to.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:11 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,485,915 times
My children's happiness is much more important to me than what they do however all three are very successful and educated.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:39 PM

17,170 posts, read 22,199,672 times
my son wanted to be a pro golfer - hes a very good player , but I convinced him,,,,that in a down economy
jobs are tough to come by at golf courses.

I suggested he be an engineer or a pharmacist....
go to college for 6 years keep your nose clean and study hard,,,and he can hit the ground making 100k a yr, while making a difference in peoples lives.

then he can have nice things,,,,use his brain not his back..
and I will pay 15k a yr ..
an opportunity I never had,,,

well, I leveraged/remortgaged my house, max'd 2 credit cards....but in 2 months he will graduate as a dr. of pharmacy in the top 5% of his class.. 6 yrs of college

yes, im very proud of him.. he does like what he is doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting