Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
For example, are you more or less proud of your son/daughter working for $16 an hour driving supplies from the building center to the job site, or making $65 an hour as an aerospace engineer, designing new aircraft?

Personally, I'll support my child with what they are interested in, however, I would be more proud of them doing a position that requires a college degree rather than a position that does not require a college degree.
I would be proud of my son and daughter if they do something good with their life. College degree is only as good as you make of it. My husband has a a certificate from a CC, but making 47 bucks an hour base, full time, with great benefits. He has worked hard to get were he is at along with his certificate. His parents are incredibly proud over him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Ellison, and Michael Dell all did very well for themselves without college degrees.

On the other hand, If I were the parent of Mayim Bialik who earned a Ph.D. in neuroscience from UCLA and is pictured below, I'd burst with pride:
Lol...why did you post a picture? lol

Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 634,835 times
i would be proud if my son have a respectable career, reach his full potential and take adventage of the privilege and opportunity his parents gave to him. Ultimately, i want him to do better than us since he doesn't have to start from 0 like his parents.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:28 AM

480 posts, read 666,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
i would be proud if my son have a respectable career, reach his full potential and take adventage of the privilege and opportunity his parents gave to him. Ultimately, i want him to do better than us since he doesn't have to start from 0 like his parents.
Are you saying that delivery truck driver is not a respectable career? I personally don't consider it to be (perhaps an entry level job that one might do for a few years while trying to attain a respectable career) but curious on your opinion.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:13 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 634,835 times
Quote:
Are you saying that delivery truck driver is not a respectable career? I personally don't consider it to be (perhaps an entry level job that one might do for a few years while trying to attain a respectable career) but curious on your opinion.
I have no doubt that a truck driver is a good career with reasonable income but to me, I Wouldn't call it a respectable career. I expected a lot more than that from my child.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:47 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,644,254 times
My dad used to tell me, respect every job because it is a job. What would be the world be like if there were no garbage men.. ??

Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 4,465,675 times
I want my children to live up to their full potential. I want them to use their gifts and talents to their fullest extent. I pray that they would find their passion. I want them to be successful in their chosen fields, and earn enough to be able to support themselves and their families, and have substantial savings.

Their choice of career is up to them. However, I want them to choose careers that will give them stability and contentment. That's what will make me proud of their career choices.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
For example, are you more or less proud of your son/daughter working for $16 an hour driving supplies from the building center to the job site, or making $65 an hour as an aerospace engineer, designing new aircraft?
Personally, I'll support my child with what they are interested in, however, I would be more proud of them doing a position that requires a college degree rather than a position that does not require a college degree.
So you are proud conditionally, nice.
Personally, it is their life and their choice and amazingly enough not everyone is made to go to college and not everyone needs a college degree to be successful.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:59 PM

7,124 posts, read 8,625,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally, it is their life and their choice and amazingly enough not everyone is made to go to college and not everyone needs a college degree to be successful.
Agree and too many college degrees leave young people with debt and with no marketable skills to repay that debt...

Old 03-28-2016, 06:49 PM

480 posts, read 666,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yes, my pride for my children is conditional. My love for them is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting