Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 AM

480 posts, read 668,197 times

Advertisements

For example, are you more or less proud of your son/daughter working for $16 an hour driving supplies from the building center to the job site, or making $65 an hour as an aerospace engineer, designing new aircraft?

Personally, I'll support my child with what they are interested in, however, I would be more proud of them doing a position that requires a college degree rather than a position that does not require a college degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 07:43 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
While I would prefer that my kids use the expensive college degrees that we enabled, it has nothing to do with pride. it means that they found their passion while in school, and were happy with the choices they made.

I don't even know how much my sons make, only that each of them is working in the field they studied. They are young adults, and it is none of my business.

I know enough college grads struggling to find work, and enough tech school grads who are out-earning them, to think college is the path to financial success for everybody.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 AM

480 posts, read 668,197 times
I dunno for me. It's a hard question.

I think that if my children show skills and capability toward working as aircraft engineers, but chose to do menial work (driving delivery trucks), I'd be disappointed that they didn't use their capability that they had.

If they never showed capability on higher level work (i.e., they seemed to struggle with college prep courses in high school but thrived with the trades), I'd be proud if they found their way in the trades.

I'd still be more proud if they picked a particular trade where there was a lot of skill involved, like metal machining, house construction (especially detail trim work or cabinetry) rather than a non-skilled job like delivery truck driver.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
I don't really think about their profession to be honest. I suppose if they were a public figure that might be different but i only care that they are decent human beings and treat others the way i would want them to be treated themselves. I still have a few kiddos in school and my perception might just change if one of them becomes a doctor or something... but to be honest, i don't think i could be more proud of them regardless of their occupation.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
For example, are you more or less proud of your son/daughter working for $16 an hour driving supplies from the building center to the job site, or making $65 an hour as an aerospace engineer, designing new aircraft?

Personally, I'll support my child with what they are interested in, however, I would be more proud of them doing a position that requires a college degree rather than a position that does not require a college degree.

I believe that parents should be proud of children that are living up to or surpassing their full potential.

While not everyone accepts this, it is a genetic & mathematical fact that not every child has the intelligence and capabilities of attending and graduating from college.

I am a retired special education teacher. One of my former students, in the program for students for mild cognitive disabilities (she is mildly mentally retarded), far surpassed career goals that her former teachers and parents though she was capable of achieving. Her strong work ethic (already quite apparent in elementary school), her perseverance, her dedication, her willing to attempt to learn new things, her strong social and communication skills (at her level) makes her an excellent worker at certain jobs.

She graduated from HS about ten years ago and has been steadily employed ever since then. She now works at a small, local store (after working as a file clerk for six years) and from what I have observed, and what she & her mother have told me she is an excellent worker. I do not believe that her bosses do any type of modifications or give her any type of special treatment on the job.

Her siblings are all college graduates, doing professional careers, but when her mother talks about "Sally" there is an obvious pride in her voice that you do not quite hear when she talks about the careers of her other children. I suspect it is because "Sally" works extremely, extremely hard to be able to compete in a world that is constantly difficult and above her skill level.

PS. before all of you say that "Sally" must have been misdiagnosed and actually is not cognitively delayed I wanted to add that not only was she tested/assessed every three years from when she started early childhood in a special education classroom, but she also has a genetic disorder where one of the medical characteristics is cognitive disabilities.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

If I had a child who was employed as a musician or artist who had no degree and one employed as an aerospace engineer I'd be equally proud of both. Everyone has different strengths and talents. Not everyone is cut out for college. Lots of talented people out there who do well without college. College is not a guarantee of a successful life. I cannot imagine being more proud of one child simply because he had a degree. That's just nuts to me.

And, yes, I'd be proud of a truck driving child if he could pay his bills, enjoyed his job and was a contributing member of society. Hopefully the aerospace engineer would be able to do the same.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-21-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I'm happy that my children are all employed. What they do is important only to them and their wives. It has nothing to do with me.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:26 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm happy that my children are all employed. What they do is important only to them and their wives. It has nothing to do with me.
I agree. And "pride" is simply a parental narcissism. Who cares whether you are "proud" or not, besides you...

Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 AM

323 posts, read 346,325 times
Quote:
I dunno for me. It's a hard question.

I think that if my children show skills and capability toward working as aircraft engineers, but chose to do menial work (driving delivery trucks), I'd be disappointed that they didn't use their capability that they had.

If they never showed capability on higher level work (i.e., they seemed to struggle with college prep courses in high school but thrived with the trades), I'd be proud if they found their way in the trades.

I'd still be more proud if they picked a particular trade where there was a lot of skill involved, like metal machining, house construction (especially detail trim work or cabinetry) rather than a non-skilled job like delivery truck driver.
My husband is a delivery driver. He is Hazmat endorsed (NOT an easy endorsement) and delivers propane now, but has delivered heating oil, gasoline and heavy oil used to build roads. He graduated with honors from junior college, but chose not to continue with his bachelors because he couldn't afford to pay for it in cash (he's super frugal and refused to go the student loan route).

His parents have long made fun of him for this and told him that not all kids are smart enough for a 4-year degree program, but that at one time in his life, he was smart enough. Not a very nice thing to say, especially since they didn't do any post-high school education.

As someone with a Bachelors, some graduate work and 15 years of professional experience under her belt, I can say that a bachelors degree doesn't equate brains and any profession or trade is only as good as their person performing it.

My husband is VERY good at what he does and usually ends up the trainer and/or manager because of his dedication to safety, accuracy and customer service. The kind of work he does requires mathematical skill, quick thinking and excellent communication skills so it's definitely NOT a non-skilled job. People performing jobs like this should never be looked down on.

I am not a parent, but I did raise my younger brother after our parents passed away and he didn't go the traditional route either, and that doesn't bother me. He enjoys his work and is a happy and productive person in society and that's what matters to me. Even though he works a lot of hours, he still volunteers at both nursing homes and a homeless shelter. That makes me more proud than if he had a 6-figure income at a Fortune 100 company.

It's not about the career choice, it's about the life. Times have changed. If the child is a good person contributing to a better society, isn't that enough?

Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
, I would be more proud of them doing a position that requires a college degree rather than a position that does not require a college degree.

I did 10 years as an electrician, before leaving and getting into mechanical engineering. Pretty much thru that 10 years in the trade, my father gave me hell for it and wanted me to get a job where I worked "with your mind, not your back". My father is also an electrician, and it was never about the $$$ for him as to why I should leave the trade.

Around age 27, I blew out a knee carrying something heavy on the job, and needed surgery. I finally understood what my dad meant and left the trade and got that desk job being an engineer. Been almost 9 years and I'm pretty well established and doing well in the career.

Now my dad gives my heat for not working at Tesla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting