U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,151,126 times

Advertisements

We're hoping our daughter chooses to go to law school in our city to save her a chunk of money by living at home. We have a big house and she is a pleasure to have around so no problem to us. Law school costs enough without adding room and board to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 PM

842 posts, read 1,105,515 times
This is not a brand-new thing, but it seems to be more acceptable these days. Back when I was in my early-20's, some women wouldn't even date a man that still lived at home.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:02 PM

541 posts, read 796,887 times
I'll chime in. I'm 34 and I still live with my dad. If I moved out, it would just be him in the house. It's not like he can't take care of himself. He's 67 and does whatever he wants. When he goes out sometimes on a Friday or Saturday, I usually call him to check up on him to see if he's okay. He told his friends I do that and they crack up laughing.

As for why I don't move out, I could, but if I did it would be me alone in an apartment or maybe my own house since I don't date and keep to myself. Might as well just keep staying and helping to maintain the house.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,352,872 times
There were 7 children in my family, born between the late 40s and late 60s. All of them except me left home between the ages of 18 to 20, either to go to university in another area, to get married, or for a job, and none ever came back.

I'm the youngest and I stayed home until I got married at 26. I went to a local university, got my MA, and worked the entire time. One reason I stayed home was to save money. Another was that my very elderly grandmother had come to live with us and my parents needed my help. Then my mother developed a neurological disease. By the time Grandma died, Mom needed constant care and my dad was still working. For the last few years I lived at home, I was going to school, working, AND doing all of the cooking, shopping, and housework, so even though I was not paying rent, I was certainly not being a leech. In fact, I felt guilty leaving home to get married even though by then my dad had retired and assured me he would be able to handle things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting