U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 12:09 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,389,107 times

Advertisements

OP, it might surprise you to learn there are many people who are considered 'working poor'.

They work; they don't really qualify for those programs you mentioned; yet they are too poor to provide enough food for their families.

I came from a family like that. I was hungry for a good part of my childhood. My father worked; my mother worked from time to time. Seven children. Catholic. Need I say more?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:26 PM

7,036 posts, read 5,215,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I'm not judging people for being poor. I don't understand how a person can be so poor that they can feed themselves but not their children. (The bags of food are not intended to feed the family, but just the particular child that they are sent home with.)
And yet, it still happens. A lot, and more or less all over. And, the parent may be working, or drunk, or out with her boyfriend or girlfriend partying. Or truly they don't have enough to go around. The kids aren't *starving,* per se, but they are going without food.

I know of one local child whose family is homeless. They live in hotels. I'm not sure how many children, but its a lot, more than 5. He never comes to school bathed, so they bathe him at the school. Teacher doesn't think his teeth are brushed, so she does that too. When the teacher gave him a banana, he shoved the whole thing down his gullet. Same with other food. The teacher would take the food away, and he would cry, but she would give him one piece at a time to keep him from scarfing it down.

Quote:
I'm really curious the reaction of the students who don't get bags of food. One group of students rides home on the bus with a bag of food that is fun (mac and cheese, juice boxes, chocolate milk, etc) and another group does not, knowing their parents give them boring food like 2% milk, baked potatoes, and rice and bean casserole.
Really. You're worried about the food secure kids that have full pantries and loving parents. God forbid they feel that something is unfair.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM

2,635 posts, read 911,015 times
I think that all American public schools should offer free breakfast and free lunch. That way, every child gets fed and can focus on schoolwork rather than rumblings in the tummy and falling asleep in class due to low energy. When I was a kid, we always had the option of starting our elementary school day in the cafeteria, with fresh milk, eggs, and toast. We paid, but I think it cost something like $.50. Parental responsibility is important, but if a kid is going hungry, the community steps up to the plate. Period.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:48 PM

5,877 posts, read 7,106,260 times
Quote:
So our elementary school is starting (and this is something that is catching on nationwide) a program to send home a bag of easy to prepare food for children of low income families whose parents do not provide food for their children to eat over the weekend.

I don't get this for a variety of reasons:

So exactly what is your problem? That your child's school is starting a program to send home food with children making it easier for the children to have food? Our school district has done that for at least the past 15 years. To my knowledge it's not something new that's just catching on. In the summer there are breakfast bag give away programs since free breakfast and free lunch is not available when schools are closed.

1) It's cheap to feed my child as they eat the same thing that I eat. I make a sandwich for me, I make another sandwich for them. Maybe $0.50?

2) But even if parents genuinely can't afford to make food for their child, we have food stamps, women and infant children (maybe that doesn't cover elementary kids?), welfare, unemployment, local food banks, and a variety of other programs that are available to provide assistance to needy families, so I really don't understand how kids can go without food if their parents give a darn.

Have you tried to live on food stamps for a week? WIC doesn't cover elementary age children.
Those with food risks often don't have the means/transportation to visit food banks.

3) Said above, but we have well stock local food banks that provide weekly (biweekly?) food allotments for families. All the parent has to do is pick up the food at the food bank.

See above Have you tried to live with just food stamps and what could be had at a food bank? Not easy and often falls short of the real needs.

3) If the parents don't give a darn and the children truly go hungry, isn't this child abuse that should be investigated by the child protective services? I mean - feeding my child is not an optional thing in my life.

I doubt that the parents of those children receiving the food bags feel feeding the children is optional. It's another means of supplementing a very risky food situation.

Based on this, can anyone present a situation where children that go to school should have a bag of food sent home with them for the weekend? Is this anything but a program that allows parents to fail in their basic obligation to their children, and society picks up the slack?
Again, what is your problem with making sure children have food? I could present you with several situations, but I'm sure your hard heart would not be interested.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:20 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,801,828 times
OP as you clearly have absolutely no knowledge of the topic here is some info to help you understand food insecurity a little better.

Hunger Facts & Poverty Statistics | Feeding America®

Old 03-25-2016, 03:20 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,247,236 times
Quote:
So our elementary school is starting (and this is something that is catching on nationwide) a program to send home a bag of easy to prepare food for children of low income families whose parents do not provide food for their children to eat over the weekend.

1) It's cheap to feed my child as they eat the same thing that I eat. I make a sandwich for me, I make another sandwich for them. Maybe $0.50?

2) But even if parents genuinely can't afford to make food for their child, we have food stamps, women and infant children (maybe that doesn't cover elementary kids?), welfare, unemployment, local food banks, and a variety of other programs that are available to provide assistance to needy families, so I really don't understand how kids can go without food if their parents give a darn.

3) Said above, but we have well stock local food banks that provide weekly (biweekly?) food allotments for families. All the parent has to do is pick up the food at the food bank.

3) If the parents don't give a darn and the children truly go hungry, isn't this child abuse that should be investigated by the child protective services? I mean - feeding my child is not an optional thing in my life.

Based on this, can anyone present a situation where children that go to school should have a bag of food sent home with them for the weekend? Is this anything but a program that allows parents to fail in their basic obligation to their children, and society picks up the slack?
I don't understand this attitude either . I hadn't worked for a long time after a bad surgery( burst gall bladder) and my ex husband ( of many years) vaporized also due to my surgical MESS. I had nothing but the clothes on my back . NO family no nothing but a 2 year old and stitches everywhere . I am not going to get into what I had to do to get by but it wasn't pretty . What money I did make went to rent.This was in Tx so no help no matter what people think /hear .
Awful time.
I was rationing soap .
I made sure she was clean so she could go to her Catholic pre school (she had a scholarship for low income kids) and eat 2 meals so all I had to worry about was one - usually just her. My LANDLORD noticed I had been losing weight and though it was due to the surgery.

I finally explained - a little- and landlords family let us eat dinner with them until I could go back to work , it took 8 months .There was only ONE food pantry in the county- and you were only allowed once a month .. One month they had extra bread and let me have what I wanted and I was eating it IN FRONT OF THEM . Awful times. When you are rationing soap there is no cheap meal . If you'd try to take her from me you'd have rather faced a mother tiger. Being in situations like that makes you do things you would never ordinarily do .

Most of not all food banks in the nation are short and none unless its a terrible emergency (and Seattle has much better food help ) will let you come 2x's a week . It's usually once or twice a month. Plus All of them are restricted to a certain county or even zip code .. too bad if you don't have a ride or the bus doesn't go there .
Food stamps ,, calculating my rent /income/and there were only two of us we got a whopping $50 in food stamps each month .

That bag of food you speak of would have been a Godsend .

Old 03-25-2016, 03:30 PM

1,800 posts, read 2,414,498 times
Quote:
I'm not judging people for being poor. I don't understand how a person can be so poor that they can feed themselves but not their children. (The bags of food are not intended to feed the family, but just the particular child that they are sent home with.)

I'm really curious the reaction of the students who don't get bags of food. One group of students rides home on the bus with a bag of food that is fun (mac and cheese, juice boxes, chocolate milk, etc) and another group does not, knowing their parents give them boring food like 2% milk, baked potatoes, and rice and bean casserole.
Nothing fun about being hungry. These children would be grateful to get anything at all. Perhaps, you can make an extra sandwich or two or something else and share it with these people who live in your community and ride the school bus with your unfortunate children who are apparently being served "boring food like 2% milk, baked potatoes, and rice and bean casserole." They would be thrilled to get some of that boring food.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:36 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,241,988 times
Quote:

Ours are not well stocked.

Quote:

Anyone challenged person who looks a gift of food for their CHILDREN in the mouth should be splayed.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:37 PM

27,288 posts, read 11,400,826 times
Quote:
But even if parents genuinely can't afford to make food for their child, we have food stamps, women and infant children (maybe that doesn't cover elementary kids?), welfare, unemployment, local food banks, and a variety of other programs that are available to provide assistance to needy families, so I really don't understand how kids can go without food if their parents give a darn.
WIC is only available for kids under 5, the cash equivalent of WIC vouchers is around $40 a month. Cash welfare amounts to as little as $170 a month for a family of three in some states, i.e. Tennessee. Local food banks rarely have enough of a variety of foods to even prepare one meal. I used to drive the poor to food banks and they would come out with weird stuff, like several cans of canned garbanzo beans and a pound of coffee. If you arrive much after opening there is nothing to get.

You would do well to spend just a few weeks volunteering to work with the poor.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,362,165 times
Quote:
So our elementary school is starting (and this is something that is catching on nationwide) a program to send home a bag of easy to prepare food for children of low income families..........
Excellent! Best news I've heard all day. I applaud the people doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting