U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times

Advertisements

I was making calls for a charity one day and a lady told me she just had a baby and could not go back to work yet. She said she had no food in her home and her children would have nothing to eat that week end. I went to the grocery store and bought sub sandwich meat package that makes several subs, Bread and a few other things such as milk that cost about $25. Took them to her rented trailer and her husband and his two friends came to the car to carry the food inside.

The food I bought would have lasted throughout the weekend for her and her children but I doubt it lasted through the day. I think I probably provided a party for her lazy good for nothing husband and his friends. I like the idea of peanut butter and bread and child type foods sent home in a book bag that maybe can be hid in the child's room for that child. Yes, not feeding your child is abuse.

I am sure that ladies children will be fine when she can work again.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 PM

17,575 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I'm not judging people for being poor. I don't understand how a person can be so poor that they can feed themselves but not their children. (The bags of food are not intended to feed the family, but just the particular child that they are sent home with.)

I'm really curious the reaction of the students who don't get bags of food. One group of students rides home on the bus with a bag of food that is fun (mac and cheese, juice boxes, chocolate milk, etc) and another group does not, knowing their parents give them boring food like 2% milk, baked potatoes, and rice and bean casserole.
Some children's only meal is their school lunch.

There are chaotic household with parental figures who do not do weekly shopping. Some people who do this are on food stamps, others are not.

I think it's a wonderful program. Why would you have any problem with that?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:40 PM

39,066 posts, read 37,695,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think I probably provided a party for her lazy good for nothing husband and his friends.
Based on what????

Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 PM

11,636 posts, read 17,044,904 times
Quote:
I'm not judging people for being poor. I don't understand how a person can be so poor that they can feed themselves but not their children. (The bags of food are not intended to feed the family, but just the particular child that they are sent home with.)

I'm really curious the reaction of the students who don't get bags of food. One group of students rides home on the bus with a bag of food that is fun (mac and cheese, juice boxes, chocolate milk, etc) and another group does not, knowing their parents give them boring food like 2% milk, baked potatoes, and rice and bean casserole.
It doesn't matter how and why the kids can't eat. What matters is that they eat. And maybe the kids with the "boring" food should learn to be grateful their parents can provide them with healthy food instead of processed garbage. It's cheap food but it keeps them full and gives them the calories. That's what matters.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-25-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 08:42 PM

17,575 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It's vice versa. Americans will pay to feed children, but not adults. These kids get school breakfast and lunch, their parents get to eat out of a dumpster.
Very true.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 PM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
It's true that parents will often skip meals so their kids can eat. By feeding the kids, the OP's school is helping to feed adults, too.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,639,274 times
Quote:

Are you for real? If your child asked why some kids get to go home with "fun food" I would tell them that these kids families are struggling and we're not. And how thankful we should be for what we have and that we don't need the bags of food.

You do realize that most people in this country are only a few paychecks away from the street?

Maybe your husband/wife will come home one day and say "I got laid off", in case you hadn't noticed many recent headlines have announced layoffs. Nabisco is closing their American plant and the jobs are going to Mexico.

As others have said maybe you need to go volunteer at a food bank or a homeless shelter.

One of the saddest things I ever saw was on "60 Minutes", focused on families in the Orlando, FL area who were struggling. The reporter asked for a show of hands as to how many kids came to school hungry today, I broke down and cried when I saw some of the kids cry. To see children to be so burdened at such a young age, many of the families were living in motels in one room.

Be thankful for what you have, I am, and help someone who isn't as fortunate.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM

263 posts, read 161,612 times
Quote:
So our elementary school is starting (and this is something that is catching on nationwide) a program to send home a bag of easy to prepare food for children of low income families whose parents do not provide food for their children to eat over the weekend.

I don't get this for a variety of reasons:

1) It's cheap to feed my child as they eat the same thing that I eat. I make a sandwich for me, I make another sandwich for them. Maybe $0.50?
But it isn't .50. How much did the bread cost? The meat? The cheese? The mayo? While the items on the sandwich may only cost .50, that is the per use cost...not the amount of money it cost to buy all of the items. When you have no money, the initial cost is the problem.

Quote:
2) But even if parents genuinely can't afford to make food for their child, we have food stamps, women and infant children (maybe that doesn't cover elementary kids?), welfare, unemployment, local food banks, and a variety of other programs that are available to provide assistance to needy families, so I really don't understand how kids can go without food if their parents give a darn.
Food stamps and the other options you mention may or may not be available to the family for any number of reasons. You don't just walk up to the offices and say "Hi I am poor, help me" and get the assistance.

Quote:
3) Said above, but we have well stock local food banks that provide weekly (biweekly?) food allotments for families. All the parent has to do is pick up the food at the food bank.
Right. That is all they need to do. What if they are not able to get there while the food ban is open? A lot of food insecure families have working parents. They don't get time off with pay to go to a food bank. And, what happens if the bank doesn't actually have anything to give out? Or, what if there is not a food bank in the area that they can get to?

Quote:
3) If the parents don't give a darn and the children truly go hungry, isn't this child abuse that should be investigated by the child protective services? I mean - feeding my child is not an optional thing in my life.
How nice for you. Must be nice to live in a food secure home and pass judgment on those who don't.

Quote:
Based on this, can anyone present a situation where children that go to school should have a bag of food sent home with them for the weekend? Is this anything but a program that allows parents to fail in their basic obligation to their children, and society picks up the slack?
So, hold up...you object to this as "society" is picking up the slack for the food sent home with the student but you are ok with welfare, foodstamps, etc? Who do you think "picks up the slack" for those programs? Penguins?

14 Million households in this country have some level of food insecurity. And, with all due respect, I dislike you on principle that you can actually have issue with a freaking school age child taking home a freaking bag of food.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:00 PM

263 posts, read 161,612 times
Quote:

Yes, you most certainly are judging people for being poor. You are also judging them for not having the same opportunities as you do. You are judging them based on your standards and what you think they should be doing. Volunteer at a shelter or a food bank, talk to the people who are there, and let me know the answers to the questions. Guessing it will be eye opening.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:26 PM

29,610 posts, read 31,914,576 times
I have doubts about programs like this for a variety of reasons and think if schools must to tackle the "hungry children" problem it's best to keep it at the school. Having a bunch of turkey sandwiches and apples (or something equally simple) available to kids who need it would be provide the best bang for the buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting