U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 PM

27,168 posts, read 11,338,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have doubts about programs like this for a variety of reasons and think if schools must to tackle the "hungry children" problem it's best to keep it at the school. Having a bunch of turkey sandwiches and apples (or something equally simple) available to kids who need it would be provide the best bang for the buck.
The problem is that some of the kids don't get enough to eat once they leave school, that is what is being addressed. I'm not sure why anyone would have 'doubts' about whether it's a good idea to send food home with kids. If kids don't receive proper nutrition it can impact their development and their ability to learn and ultimately to support themselves. So, would you rather pay now, or pay later?

Old 03-26-2016, 01:57 AM

8,855 posts, read 10,310,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I'm not judging people for being poor. I don't understand how a person can be so poor that they can feed themselves but not their children. (The bags of food are not intended to feed the family, but just the particular child that they are sent home with.)

I'm really curious the reaction of the students who don't get bags of food. One group of students rides home on the bus with a bag of food that is fun (mac and cheese, juice boxes, chocolate milk, etc) and another group does not, knowing their parents give them boring food like 2% milk, baked potatoes, and rice and bean casserole.
Really? My kid went to elementary where many of the of the kids were on free lunch and breakfast. We also had the program for the poorer kids, the bags of food for the weekend. Never, not once, did my privileged kid show any jealousy towards the kids with the weekend supplements or question why they got this or that. No. That's the kind of thinking that adults do when they are resentful.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:59 AM

8,855 posts, read 10,310,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It is considered neglect.

In our school system, a local charity provides the food that goes home with kids, in packaging they can open by themselves since some of them have parents who are passed out from being drunk all night or who just never come home.

The bags are distributed discreetly, not handed out in front of the class.

Based on your questions, OP, I would recommend you spend some weekends volunteering at a food bank and local "soup kitchen" equivalent so you can expand your awareness.
Bravo.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:13 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,205,914 times
I just want to point out that many times parents that are qualified as "poor" have kids who have to actually pay for school lunch,because they make over the threshold but not enough to afford lunch.

I think free lunch should be available to ALL kids,because some of the poor kids are slipping through because Mom makes $14/hr,for example.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:17 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Right now on the "Work and Unemployment" forum, this is the title of a thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...o-options.html

If she has a child or two, THIS is the kind of situation where a child who gets take home food gets to eat, rather than go hungry.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:45 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,795,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Really? My kid went to elementary where many of the of the kids were on free lunch and breakfast. We also had the program for the poorer kids, the bags of food for the weekend. Never, not once, did my privileged kid show any jealousy towards the kids with the weekend supplements or question why they got this or that. No. That's the kind of thinking that adults do when they are resentful.
Yeah, it took me five minutes to explain to my kids what the backpacks by the front office were for. My kids were saddened and made plans about how they thought things should change. They also didn't get jealous of the cookie decorating kits we would put in the school christmas food bank drive because they understood my very simple explanation. Kids are not the arseholes some people think they are.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Is it judgmental to point out reality? That reality being that its often poor people who make poor choices and have children when they cannot care for themselves much less a child yet anyone who raises this obvious reality is then called judgmental or hateful.

I've seen a lot of poor people and almost all of them were poor due to bad choices they made over and over again. When the government gave them free stuff to help them improve their lives they sold those things and used the money for booze and other stupid things. Again bad choices!

Also ever notice how many poor people have money for cellphones and tablets, yet they always need money for food or other services?
And the children are to blame for this in what way? The parents bad choices should not be counted against children who need to eat. I love how people would be against these folks getting abortions, but are willing to let kids already born starve or be hungry.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 AM

39,024 posts, read 37,656,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have doubts about programs like this for a variety of reasons and think if schools must to tackle the "hungry children" problem it's best to keep it at the school. Having a bunch of turkey sandwiches and apples (or something equally simple) available to kids who need it would be provide the best bang for the buck.
In our school system, the backpacks are for the weekend, when they aren't at school.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 AM

5,478 posts, read 4,552,683 times
Yes there are people that will abuse the system, and fail to put to the task the way gifts were intended ,HOWEVER ,there are many that do put to use the gifts the way they are intended, and that's what makes the difference for them.
You can teach a man to fish and give him a pole and fishing gear , and yes there is a chance he will turn around and sell it for drugs , but there are some that actually do put that skill to work and make something of them self simply because some one saw value in them, and don't want to disappoint the effort others made . it's called gratitude .
Those I make the extra effort to help , they are worth the investment.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,148,533 times
Quote:
Is it child abuse to not feed your child?
In the state of Florida there is a "third degree felony murder child abuse": my understanding is that not feeding a child to the point of starvation comes under the definition of that crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting