U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:46 PM

27,275 posts, read 11,390,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I'm sorry, but spending money on cigarettes because they suppress appetite is a stupid choice.
smoking cigarettes is a stupid choice, but not everyone who smokes is poor. Sounds like you think only people who make over a certain amount of money should be allowed to smoke or drink beer and I'm sorry to be so blunt but that is kinda weird.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:55 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,613,512 times
Man, this is an ugly thread. As a former Homeless Coordinator for a school district, I can tell you those kids go without a lot of things, food, soap, shampoo, clothing. Our counselors and nurses did a fantastic job running a program that stocked a room with clothing, coats, soap, food, etc. Some of our schools had "family spaghetti night" that always ran out of food. You just never know what those kids are going through. But it was a good feeling knowing that we were doing more than the minimum. I hope I am never able to look a little kid in the eye and tell him it's okay to be hungry, or that I'm not going to do anything about it, no matter what his parents do or don't do.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:28 PM

318 posts, read 223,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This has nothing to do with crisis pregnancy centers, so I'm not sure why you are trying to bring that into the discussion. And I'm not sure what relevance your narrative of having to hoard bits of food because your ex ate everything in the house has to do with this discussion. You were an adult, you could have found a number of solutions to that, but you apparently chose to stay and go to bed hungry. A 9 year old cannot move out or get a different job so that they can get fed, capiche?
UM because my EX was one of these kids who didn't have food at home or sometimes without other basic necessities. Sadly it was because his mom would rather party, drink and do drugs then take care of her children. his childhood messed him up bigtime. he is unable to be a normal functioning adult.

if he had food or money it would be gone in a flash repeating his feast or famine childhood. he ate like he was starving, like if he didn't eat/spend it all NOW it would magically vanish. even though he wasn't a starving kid anymore. On his own, his money was gone right away. he couldn't budget/ration. MY MEANING was maybe his binge eating disorder came from the fact his childhood was spent scared of tomorrow, broke and HUNGRY! So- what is the long term impact on these kids?

YES I did do something about it. First time we had a sit-down chat. "don't leave me with nothing when everything is closed when I come home" after the second time of coming home to a bare kitchen I kept my own food and left him shortly thereafter. I am saying as someone who is LUCKY enough to never have that happen as a child, going to bed the couple times I did not eating for a whole day was miserable. how a kid with no control over their situation does it I have no idea and the utmost compassion for. and I have supported these programs with my OWN money and donations. We should be finding a way to feed kids during the summer break or weekends when they had been going to bed hungry.

And those centers TRICK people with lies to "saving" life are relevant. Some of those women are there because another child is the last thing they can handle/afford and are scared out of that choice by someone lying to them.

**donations not being crappy cheap stuff, or expired canned goods. the food-bank food is terrible like people empty out junk from their pantry! WTF does one do walking out of a foodbank with expired cans of beans and a jar of pasta sauce? Or other randoms that can't make a meal. I would try and find things that are as nourishing as possible and items that contained meat within their guidelines.

Last edited by SweetLittleWing; 03-26-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 01:42 PM

318 posts, read 223,393 times
Quote:
Man, this is an ugly thread. As a former Homeless Coordinator for a school district, I can tell you those kids go without a lot of things, food, soap, shampoo, clothing. Our counselors and nurses did a fantastic job running a program that stocked a room with clothing, coats, soap, food, etc. Some of our schools had "family spaghetti night" that always ran out of food. You just never know what those kids are going through. But it was a good feeling knowing that we were doing more than the minimum. I hope I am never able to look a little kid in the eye and tell him it's okay to be hungry, or that I'm not going to do anything about it, no matter what his parents do or don't do.
Thank you. it doesn't matter WHY the parents arn't feeding the kids. can't because of something tragic or choose not to because they choose not to parent and party. doesn't change the fact these kids are innocents and don't deserve to be punished.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:42 PM

85,019 posts, read 98,876,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Donalds View Post
The Process:

1) Take applications from all parents that claim they cannot afford to feed their children on weekends.

2) Send social services worker to house for "evaluation".

3) If the house smells of cigarettes, has any evidence of the ability to afford luxuries such as cigarettes, beer, marijuana, etc... immediately arrest the parent(s) for child neglect, welfare fraud, or both.

4) Place children in foster care immediately.

I've never met a "poor" person that didn't smoke cigarettes. Most people smoke between 1/2 and 2 packs a day; that's $3.50 to $14.00 a day. Most drink beer regularly. Most smoke marijuana.

Let's be real here. "The Poor" do not exist. Everyone has the means to achieve a level of survivability, but they'd rather spend their money on luxuries, such as illegal drugs. And don't say they're "addicted" because they don't. Who are you to tell someone else they're addicted? They have a "bad judgement" problem and not a "drug problem". They also have a "irresponsible breeding" problem, as well as a "surrounded by idiot leftist enablers giving them someone else's money" problem.

Back in "Ye Olden Dayes", the evil Patriarch would be fully aware of the deficiencies of these people, how foolish they were and how stupid it was to give them rewards for their bad and stupid behavior, and the Patriarch would require that they perform some kind of constructive activity before getting any kind of financial support.

And THAT is why the Left hates the Patriarchy so much. It requires performance in exchange for resources, and the Federal God-Government does not. It gives these parasites whatever they want, and for nothing. Anyways, that's why they hate the Patriarchy, and why we must return to it in order to ensure our collective survival. These parasites exist by definition on a life-track that is non-sustainable, otherwise we'd call them "constructive members of society" instead. Having direct, first-hand and human control over the distribution of community resources is the only way to make certain that they are used wisely and for the betterment of all, instead of the betterment of a class of a select few loudmouthed liars and whiners, that make-up fabricated circumstances in order to prey upon the compassion of weak-minded people who have achieved control over other people's resources via democratic process.
I've never been a fan of these simplistic solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Not that you would care, as presented by your post, but cigarettes are a popular purchase for low-income individuals because they act as an appetite suppressant.

And I see you saying "most" a lot...do you have any facts to back up your exorbitant claims or just your hate for anyone who isn't as successful as you are?
Cigarette smoking is an addiction. People will go to many lengths to justify their addiction; this is one of them. A pack of cigarettes averages $5.51. You could buy up to 5 sandwiches at McDonald's and keep the change for that! http://fairreporters.net/health/pric...ttes-by-state/, http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-prices/ (See McValue menu)

That said, I'm all for giving the kids food.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:29 PM

489 posts, read 325,160 times
Can't even read this whole thread because it's depressing and full of ignorance.

But here is 1 scenario where a child may need food and the parents don't:
-Mom is raising X number of kids by herself because dad is (on drugs, in jail, dead, in a gang, ????)
-Mom is working 3 jobs in order to keep roof over the kids heads. Spends extra cash on utilities, clothes and some food-which aside from the dollar menu at McDonalds-is expensive
-kids get fed at school all week
-On the weekend mom is busy working 1-3 jobs and isn't home
-kids must make their own food on the weekend luckily they get something from school so an 8 year old isn't tasked with 4 course meal prep for herself and 2 younger siblings.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:33 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,812,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Yes it is ugly, and your experience mirrors my own.

Given the massive amounts of waste in this country, it's insane to allow any person, child or adult, to go hungry.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:43 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,800,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
YEP !!! I agree.
Don't forget the MOUNTAIN of canned YAMS !!! OMG . I swear when I donate I always donate something with meat in it . BEANS AND YAMS - anyone who has to rely on the banks know these two items too well . They are cheap .

This is true as well and I got mine out of the public ashtray outside the local gas station's front door, that and the stress was incredible as you read in my previous post .

I no longer smoke but things are also alot better .

You have no CLUE how the system works . TANF ( what you are calling checks) is NOT Free unlimited HUGE amounts of money. It's barely a trickle for a very limited amount of time. Even I didn't qualify in the terrible position I was in, in my previous post- I needed even MORE poor people in the house .
Actually, it's better for you to give cash to the food bank, they can not only buy wholesale, but they know what they need to offer a good sel ction for their clients. Like, maybe they get a few pallets of pasta sauce donated, they can spend your cash on the pasta to go with it.

FYI, in Texas, for a family of five with two adults they must earn less than $268 a month to get welfare, and they will get $407 a month from welfare. That was the highest income limit and the highest benefit amount in the table. A single parent with two kids can't earn more than $188 and will receive an absolute maximum of $285 a month. Of course, you can't earn that much and get the max amount, the mount you get is reduced as you earn more. And don't forget that five year lifetime limit.

So yep, living the high life on $285 a month to clothe, house and raise your kids. Woo. Hoo.

Food stamps are only available to people with kids (others can get three months worth every three years), and the maximum is $511 a month for a household of three. For someone on welfare, it's a great amount, perfectly sufficient to feed the family, even though they'll be homeless trying to pay rent with their $285, food shouldn't be a problem. It's the people like a full time minimum wage employee, who'll only get $420 to feed the family of three for the month who will have more trouble. And the people who earn over minimum wage and so might be less likely to be homeless or have the power shut off will have a corresponding decrease in their food stamps, so they really really need the extra food provided at schools. At $12.50 an hour and full time work, a family of three is no longer eligible for food stamps. Could you live in a safe home and afford child care, clothes, food, utilities and transport for yourself and two kids on $12.50 an hour? (Don't forget, if you're thinking of picking up a second job, that you'll have to pay for child care every hour those kids aren't in school and you're working.)

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 03-26-2016 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 03:27 PM

13,415 posts, read 7,152,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I'm glad someone mentioned the odd food that food banks give out. Many years ago I was in a desperate situation and went to a food bank for myself and my daughter who was about three at the time and I left with the strangest assortment of food. It was better than nothing but it wasn't all that helpful. I don't remember everything they gave me but I do remember getting a Ziploc bag full of Captain Crunch cereal, a few cans of stewed tomatoes and a large can of creamed corn.
I know that on a lot of food drives people just clean out their pantry of stuff they didn't eat or their families wouldn't eat. It's better than nothing but I try to give food that's a little better than that - you know, "good" vegetables (not just beets and brussel sprouts!), peanut butter, canned meat, etc. We need to think of the folks who are actually going to be eating this stuff and about the basics that WE would like to eat.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:33 PM

13,415 posts, read 7,152,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It's sad that kids don't take priority in their homes but you can bet your sweet bippy they have cable and cell phones. That always irks me.

I spent way too much time in Memphis and I struggled horribly as a single mom. I went to try to get help and they told me I didn't qualify because I had a car. So many people lie to get free food there. They'll stand in line for free Thanksgiving dinner talking on their i-phones.

I get where you're coming from OP.
This ticks me off.....I'll bet you don't know a tracphone from an "i-phone". Yes, iphones are about the most expensive out there...and I'd say very few truly poor people have them. There are a lot of cheap phones that can be had for much less. The great thing is that not only do they let you make calls, you can even access the "interwebs" for information, to look for jobs, all kinds of useful stuff - not just entertainment! They even have a map application so you can get places without being lost...bus schedules...etc.!

Stop thinking all cell phones cost a $1000 and that they are just entertainment for rich people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting