U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:31 PM

16,499 posts, read 15,953,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Talk to her teacher. If it was a problem at school they probably would have already told you about the problem.

I suspect that it is a small problem that only happens at home due the tension & stress in that environment. Does she do this with other family members or when she is out in the community with you?

But, to be sure, discuss it with the teacher and pediatrician. If they also are concerned she could be evaluated by a speech therapist (for free through the school system).

As you probably already know, her dad getting angry and frustrated with her is making it much, much worse. If he just stops doing that her repeating words may completely or almost completely disappear.

BTW, even many adults have difficulty admitting that they make a mistake or did something wrong when put under extreme pressure by their superiors. Picture yourself facing two giants (to an 8 year old parents can look like giants) at work demanding, ordering, forcing you to tell the truth about a stupid mistake that you make on the job. Even an adult may say "I um, I um, I um" or say "I don't know" or not admit the error to avoid being chastised or punished or fired.

And, your little girl is just an 8 year old child with a lot less maturity and life skills. Think about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
This happens everywhere like when talking to grandma, or telling me a story, or w/e too. Not just in stressful situations, but I do agree that her dad doesn't help when he questions her about w/e issue. I try to be more empthatic towards it an try to be patient an like encourage her while she is speaking but I don't want to answer for her and then her maybe just go with what I said. Like I sometimes know what she's trying to say an other time I can't get it an I can't get her to just spit it out. I have been thinking about finding a psychiatrist at least for me an her due to loss of my dad, b/c it affects us the most an I asked her what she thought about it she said she thinks it's a good idea. I do ask a lot of yes no questions or try to give choices so it is easier for her but there's times her dad wants exact answers an I can't help that. Yea my 6 yr old will try to answer for her when this happens too. It is always I don't know, maybe it's that age or something.

Step # 1 is always talk to the teacher to see what is happening in school.

Frankly, from your posts about your daughter's "behavior problems" at home (that appear to be more parenting problems) I would not be surprised if you find out that her speech is perfectly fine in the classroom and perfectly fine on the playground & in social situations with peers.

But, if she is having problems with her speech at school she will be able to be evaluated and assessed for free.

BTW, while it may be a good idea to talk to a psychologist or a counselor or a child psychiatrist about the pain of losing a grandparent, usually the parent decides if it is needed and does not ask the 8 year old child whether or not they agree with it. What if she would have said "No" ? After all, how knowledgeable are most 8 year old on grief counseling or even know what a psychiatrist does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:48 PM

289 posts, read 133,072 times
I told her I was going an that I wanted her to go so that she would have someone else to talk to about it, she liked the idea. Either way it's my decision but I wanted to know how she felt about it that's all, not let her decide just let her know about it and express her feelings on it. Is that so bad? I explained that we are going to go talk to a dr. who helps talk to people who lose someone special to them.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,565,814 times
Could be a form of anxiety...maybe even OCD. Mention the possibility to the doctor when you talk to him/her about it.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 AM

289 posts, read 133,072 times
I spoke with teacher, an Lily behaves at school but still sometimes can't spit out what she wants to communicate or forgets what she wanted to say, so it happens there too but not often the teacher said. She doesn't actually stutter its just she will be talking and then in middle stop an say um um an has trouble continuing. It's hard to explain without hearing it. But she has lots of friends, behaves at school, an mostly behaves here, except for the whining sometimes if she can't do something she wants to right then. She still fights with her little brother a lot but that's to be expected. Anyway since me and their dad have been on them more lately, an spending more quality time with them too they both have been behaving a lot better. Thank god! I have been getting along with their dad more too I think an he is pitching in on some things more . But we still have a long way to go with our relationship issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting