Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:01 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I wouldn't put an infant boy in pink for one simple reason - people will assume he is a girl. The problem is not that they will think it - I mean, who cares, all babies look unisex - but rather that when the person is told he's a boy they will be embarrassed. So I'd avoid pink at first because it will cause a lot of awkward social situations.
Not all pink clothing looks feminine. I actually see more men in pink polo shirts than women. A pink polo shirt on a baby boy wouldn't be any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:10 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
A pink polo shirt on a baby boy wouldn't be any different.
You can think that if you want, but if you actually have a baby, try it and keep track of the comments you get. I think you will be surprised how strictly people adhere to gender stereotypes.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I actually see more men in pink polo shirts than women.
That's because polo shirts are not in style for women. This isn't 1982. The preppy fad is dead.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM

499 posts, read 585,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's because polo shirts are not in style for women. This isn't 1982. The preppy fad is dead.
I'm sure it will be back in style again soon. Perhaps by the time the OP actually has a child.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM

480 posts, read 667,905 times
For kids under 1 year, pink = girls, blue = boys. You dress your kid in pink, people will call your baby a her. You can correct them but you'll constantly be correcting them.

You can dress your boy or girl pretty much however you want when they are under 1. That's the fun part about having babies.

After 1, they eventually start to point out what they want to wear, and you concede your desires to them little by little. Eventually they refuse to clothes at all and you wonder if it is ok to take them to daycare just wearing undies.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:19 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
The more important question is why even ask this if you're not even pregnant or have kids?

My first was a girl. Her little brother got a lot of her hand me downs. He wore all her pink gown sleeppers when he was a newborn. He has his sister's paci holder that's also pink. It's fine. It's not a controversial topic. Don't let anybody influence your decision. The most important thing about parenting is to be a good freakin' parent. That's what you should be concerned about.
I thought the original poster is a gay male, maybe I am mistaken.
Anyway, original poster, there is a possibility that any child you may have will like the color pink as much as you do but there is also the same possibility that same child will like the color turquoise more than pink.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
While it is a long way out if/when me and my future wife have a baby boy since I am not married yet, I was wondering, should we buy pink clothes for a potential future baby boy? Pink is my signature color, and I would like my son to grow up to have pink as his favorite color like me buy buying him pink clothes.

As long as the clothing doesn't look girly, I would think it would be okay. Perhaps some little pink polo shirts would be fine.

What does anyone here think?
1) Why would you even be thinking about this now?

2) Your child is going to be his or her own person. You can not force your favorite color, type of music, favorite sport, or anything else on him or her.

3) I have no problem with pink on boys. My son looks fantastic in it. However, young babies don't really look like boys or girls. If you dress your boy in pink, be prepared for him to be called "her" a lot. Good luck even finding non-frilly clothes in pink.

I think a pink polo with jeans and some cute boy shoes would look cute on a toddler.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
That's just weird.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
I dressed my boy in pink as well as all other colors, and he loves it. Green and pink are his favorite colors. Now he has two older sisters so lately he also likes to wear a dress. He rocks the look.

My Son Wears Dresses, and That's OK With Me

Your kid will let you know what they like, what they hate, and you'll be so tired this fetish for pink you have will be a distant memory. lol You'll still like pink but, you'll just be happy they are agreeing with you no matter what the topic is.

But I'm sure you'll find plenty of people in your future who don't mind pink, as long as you're a decent person. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I wouldn't put an infant boy in pink for one simple reason - people will assume he is a girl. The problem is not that they will think it - I mean, who cares, all babies look unisex - but rather that when the person is told he's a boy they will be embarrassed. So I'd avoid pink at first because it will cause a lot of awkward social situations.

Recently I met a new neighbor and since it was twilight his little babies sleeper looked pink (when it was white or some other pale color) and I said something like "What a cute little baby! How old is she?" and I was plenty embarrassed when he rather emphatically told me that "HE is six months old".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting