U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:07 AM

11,075 posts, read 9,003,526 times

Advertisements

What a weird thing to think about OP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:52 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,823,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Bizarre post, sure, but FWIW, no matter what colors my mom put my brother and I in, strangers in public still occasionally mistook us for the opposite sex. "Oh, he's so cute!" about baby me, even as I wore pink with a bow in my hair. "Look at her, so precious!" at my baby brother even when he wore a blue Giants outfit.

My mom is not the first person to say this, either. I have heard from many others with babies that people sometimes mistake their babies for being the opposite sex, even when wearing traditional "gender specific" colors.
Yep, this. All kinds of stupid happening in this thread. (Really, the post that ALL cultures follow blue for boys, pink for girls?!)

Besides it not being possible to predict your child's favorite color, it also kind of sucks when it's your's. Who gets the pink toothbrush and such. Well, that really makes my life sound pathetic. The struggle is real, my friends.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:07 AM

3,698 posts, read 2,843,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
no matter what colors my mom put my brother and I in, strangers in public still occasionally mistook us for the opposite sex.
It often happened with both of my girls as well (being called "he" or "him"). Interestingly, I think it's kind of a generational thing, as those comments seemed to come primarily from older people, especially men.

This is why I always used terms like "your baby", instead of gender specific. But then, you sometimes can't be assured that the adult present is the parent, so maybe just "baby" works.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 20,563,635 times
If/when you have a child they will be their own person. This is a good lesson for you to learn before you have kids . As a parent you guide your children, you do not form them into mini me.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:12 PM

1,202 posts, read 748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Pink is my signature color, and I would like my son to grow up to have pink as his favorite color like me buy buying him pink clothes.

What does anyone here think?
You can't possibly be serious? wow

Please don't breed.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:44 PM

15,299 posts, read 16,849,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga99 View Post
I think this is a fashion troll thread? DO you work for a fashion company?

No. Pink is a girl's color. Blue for boys. Every culture in the world follows this custom.
No every culture in the world does NOT follow this custom and in fact, blue for boys is relatively new in US culture.

The History Of Pink For Girls, Blue For Boys

Quote:
Ladies' Home Journal article in June 1918 said, "The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl." Other sources said blue was flattering for blonds, pink for brunettes; or blue was for blue-eyed babies, pink for brown-eyed babies, according to Paoletti.
The Surprisingly Recent Time Period When Boys Wore Pink, Girls Wore Blue, and Both Wore Dresses

Quote:
Gender identification by color began in the early 20th century in the Western world. Before this, pink and blue did not hold any gender specific connotations and there are numerous examples of men wearing pink outfits and girls wearing blue; one French author, Xavier de Maistre in his work, A Journey Around My Room published in 1794, even recommended that men choose to paint their rooms pink and white to improve the mood.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 AM

3,364 posts, read 2,499,994 times
Quote:
Perhaps some little pink polo shirts would be fine.
There is nothing _at all_ wrong with whatever colors you want to dress a child in.

I would be more worried instead about your agenda to form your child to have the same likes as you. The goal of a parent is to guide a child on the path of finding out who they are - not to mould them into mini versions of themselves. I mean what are you going to do - start splicing flash subliminal scenes of happy pink bliss into their chosen televisions shows to get them to start feeling positive about a color?

Your seemingly complete obsession (user name - user tag line - thread topics - desire for a wife into pink - desire for children to think like you do even though you are not only not a prospective parent but lack even a procreation partner - and so forth) with a single colour too is probably just cause for some level of concern also. That level of obsession can be indicative of all kinds of issues.

I would also be concerned about the levels at which you wish to bond with any future children. Many of us before - during - and after the process of becoming parents think of all that we have to teach a child - how we want to guide them in the world - the wonders of life and the universe we want to expose them to - the excitement of sharing the journey of self discovery as to who and what they are with them - and much more.

You want to bond over - a colour.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:50 PM

17,583 posts, read 21,770,947 times
Quote:
While it is a long way out if/when me and my future wife have a baby boy since I am not married yet, I was wondering, should we buy pink clothes for a potential future baby boy? Pink is my signature color, and I would like my son to grow up to have pink as his favorite color like me buy buying him pink clothes.

As long as the clothing doesn't look girly, I would think it would be okay. Perhaps some little pink polo shirts would be fine.

I think you are way ahead of yourself.

This sounds eerily familiar to your "Pink Keylime Pie" thread. You can not choose your child's favorite color.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:17 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,231,401 times
1. You and your wife can dress your child in whatever clothing/colors you choose.
2. There is no guarantee you'll have a boy to dress in pink.
3. Babies grow into children who are surprisingly different from what we anticipate and dream about before we ever have them. They have their own minds and will make their own decisions. Sometimes they follow in our footsteps in expected ways, sometimes they rebel against our paths in surprising ways. Usually, it's a mix.
4. The love of your life may despise pink, and yet you somehow love her anyway. Sometimes we fall in love with people we don't expect to love.

As a theoretical question, sure. You can dress your little boy in pink. It won't guarantee anything, but parents get to make these choices.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 PM

8,654 posts, read 4,792,536 times
Quote:
While it is a long way out if/when me and my future wife have a baby boy since I am not married yet, I was wondering, should we buy pink clothes for a potential future baby boy? Pink is my signature color, and I would like my son to grow up to have pink as his favorite color like me buy buying him pink clothes.

As long as the clothing doesn't look girly, I would think it would be okay. Perhaps some little pink polo shirts would be fine.

He's going to be his own person, with his own preferences. FWIW, both of my boys loved pink; it was their favorite color until they started school and were evidently told that pink is a "girly" color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting