Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:18 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

While it is a long way out if/when me and my future wife have a baby boy since I am not married yet, I was wondering, should we buy pink clothes for a potential future baby boy? Pink is my signature color, and I would like my son to grow up to have pink as his favorite color like me buy buying him pink clothes.

As long as the clothing doesn't look girly, I would think it would be okay. Perhaps some little pink polo shirts would be fine.

What does anyone here think?

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 03-29-2016 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
While it is a long way out if/when I have a baby boy since I am not married yet, I was wondering, should I buy pink clothes for a potential future baby boy? Pink is my signature color, and I would like my son to grow up to have pink as his favorite color like me buy buying him pink clothes.

As long as the clothing doesn't look girly, I would think it would be okay. Perhaps some little pink polo shirts would be fine.

What does anyone here think?
What do I think - comes to mind, followed by

You want your future kid to love pink like you do?
I find that odd, weird and really narcissistic.

Let your kids, when you have them, choose their own path. Dressing a baby boy in pink polo shirts is not going to make him a lover of all things pink.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
The more important question is why even ask this if you're not even pregnant or have kids?

My first was a girl. Her little brother got a lot of her hand me downs. He wore all her pink gown sleeppers when he was a newborn. He has his sister's paci holder that's also pink. It's fine. It's not a controversial topic. Don't let anybody influence your decision. The most important thing about parenting is to be a good freakin' parent. That's what you should be concerned about.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:59 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
The more important question is why even ask this if you're not even pregnant or have kids?

My first was a girl. Her little brother got a lot of her hand me downs. He wore all her pink gown sleeppers when he was a newborn. He has his sister's paci holder that's also pink. It's fine. It's not a controversial topic. Don't let anybody influence your decision. The most important thing about parenting is to be a good freakin' parent. That's what you should be concerned about.
I'm actually a man, but I would love to find a wife who loves pink, and if she has a baby boy, I hope she agrees that we should buy pink clothes for our son.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
There is an interesting history to the "pink for girls/blue for boys" way of dressing children....

"For example, a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.” Other sources said blue was flattering for blonds, pink for brunettes; or blue was for blue-eyed babies, pink for brown-eyed babies, according to Paoletti."

Read more: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Old 03-29-2016, 12:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
So ... you aren't married yet but you are concerned about your possibly future baby liking pink as much as you do???

Since you asked, I think it's odd for a man to have a signature color to the point that he wants his offspring to like it "as much."

This probably should be in the Mental Health subforum.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:18 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
The color you dress your child in is unlikely to have much of a bearing of what color they like.

Case in point: I was a girl who was always dressed in pink. As soon as I was old enough to verbalize my choices, I wanted nothing to do with the color and preferred yellow, purple, and blue.

Why is it so important to you that your nonexistent child (and nonexistent wife?) conform to your preferences? If you want some kind of guarantee, skip the child and get a dog. He won't care what color coat you put on him.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So ... you aren't married yet but you are concerned about your possibly future baby liking pink as much as you do???

Since you asked, I think it's odd for a man to have a signature color to the point that he wants his offspring to like it "as much."

This probably should be in the Mental Health subforum.

I concur.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:30 PM

499 posts, read 586,333 times
Sounds like you have a lot of time on your hands!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
My favorite color is green. My wife's is blue. My son's is orange. My daughter's is purple.

Somehow, we still manage to have a fulfilling family life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting