Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 07:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post
So daughter came back from work to say she hurt her back at work lifting things. She came in saying her back is hurting real bad and just went to her room and after making her some food she went back to her room and is now sleeping. She said her back is really hurting.
If she really got hurt at work, she needs to go see a workman's comp doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Quote:
So daughter came back from work to say she hurt her back at work lifting things. She came in saying her back is hurting real bad and just went to her room and after making her some food she went back to her room and is now sleeping. She said her back is really hurting.
Of course she did. I'm not surprised by this at all.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:16 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:

If she did not notify her supervisor immediately after it happened she needs to call work and notify them ASAP. Some places try to deny workman's comp claims if you leave work before telling them about it (they say that you must have gotten work at home and just tried to blame work). They may have a specific doctor that they use.

Also, tell you daughter to be sure to say that she was following the designated lifting procedures (and I hope that she was doing that) otherwise they may blame her. For example, if she was supposed to be wearing some type of lifting support/belt she should have been doing that.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Please do not mock other posters. My next door neighbor started his paper route in 3rd or 4th grade and it was definitely in the dark and well before 5:00 in the morning. He is now very wealthy.

I think we underestimate what kids can accomplish, we hold them to very low standards (except in academics), and then we wonder why they appear to be lazy and unmotivated adults.
Mock? It was a testimony to the wherewithal of what we would consider today to be small children, willing to take on work in an era with lax or no enforcement of child labor and minimum wage laws. Today practically the only non-farming children of that age performing such work in the USA are 'employed' in their family's motel, bodega, convenience store, or carry-out restaurant, for free.

I do think, however, that we need to acknowledge that not every parent who refuses to provide more than the minimum for their children is 'providing a valuable life lesson'. Sometimes they are just stingy.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:24 AM

41 posts, read 57,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What kind of doctor? School counselors don't diagnose.
No, she's been to a professional counselor/doctor.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:27 AM

41 posts, read 57,282 times
So she ended up taking a bath and she now says her back feels much better. She has been moving around doing things so clearly it wasn't that bad, but she is now looking for other jobs. I know that should be okay but her working so close to home was very convenient and she just got this job! I also would rather not have to start shuttling her back and forth to a new job just so I can hear her whine as soon as it starts getting hard.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:07 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
My 19 year old daughter got a job as an over night stocker at a wal mart neighborhood market. She works from 10 PM to 7 AM. She doesn't have a car or her license mainly because she has said she is too nervous to drive. Fortunately her job is only about a 10 minute walk and I know she does a lot more walking at the mall.

Anyway after her first night she came home crying complaining that she hates the walk and that she was working in dairy where she had to lift boxes she said were about 20-30 lbs. She went and took a shower and posted on her Facebook (I know it may seem weird for a parent to check their kids fb and I usually don't much but do believe it can be insightful) and she posted "gonna go sit in the shower and die". Then replied to some friends about how difficult the job is and how tired she is and she hates it.

To those probably wondering this isn't her first job but it is the first real job with a paycheck. Anyway I realize young people being lazy isn't really new but should I try to talk to her and tell her the usual "you're an adult and need to work and pay your own way just stick it out" or remain silent and just wait and see if she gets used to it.
Sounds like she needs to grow up. She'll be living with you forever if you don't tell her to grow up.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:47 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
For the record she has graduated high school but hasn't shown interest in college despite my pleas. She got this job only after I had a talk with her telling her I would not support her anymore. She also smokes which I did not buy but she has friends that take her places and gets her cigarettes.

This job is part time and she gets $9.50 an hour.

Do not pressure her to go to college if she has no interest or long term plan. She'll probably end up with lots of student loan debt and no degree. Life isn't a race and it would be better for her to narrow down her career interest first. Re her job... I loved work like that myself but I would not be able to handle 3rd shift. Then again I'm a guy, if she's short and petite lifting a crate of milk might be too hard long term. Is there a reason she can't do another position like cashier?

Old 04-09-2016, 01:12 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Don't give her the idea of workers' comp! Ugh, I can see it now....

And OP, don't shuttle her to her next job. That isn't your responsibility anymore. If she finds a better job somewhere, she better have a plan on how to get there (that doesn't involve you or friends). I think it is also time for you two to start a plan on getting your daughter her own apartment. She needs to learn how to fall on her own. This was my main complaint with my parents and my niece. They were paying for everything, so she wasn't learning the consequences. Sometimes young adults need to have the landlord yelling at them for late rent, or the power shut off, etc., in order for them to understand the "realness" of adult life. The sooner she can do that, the sooner she can decide to get her act together and not only become responsible, but also enjoy life more. What her future holds is up to her to decide and it may look a lot different from what you would choose. But that is okay, if she learns to become responsible for herself. That is the first step.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:37 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Quote:
I also would rather not have to start shuttling her back and forth to a new job just so I can hear her whine as soon as it starts getting hard.
This speaks volumes about your own enabling behavior. Why would you shuttle an adult, healthy person to work and back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting