Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:10 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Case in point: my son goes to school with a girl named Pooja. Envisioning endless jokes about "poo", "poop", etc.
...or p00n.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:44 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Gabriel would be first pick even though I'm not crazy about the nickname Gabe. I know a couple of TJ's, weirdly there is a nickname for a nickname and both of them are often called by the one syllable 'teej'

Old 04-13-2016, 05:43 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I have recently called two help lines in the financial arena. One was a bank and another an investment company. At the bank I got Tyler. At the investment company I talked with Sawyer. In both cases I would have had more confidence in what I was hearing if the guy on the other end was named John. That was honestly my gut reaction. I called the bank after hours and got someone named Austin. I liked that a little better than Tyler or Sawyer, so now if I need help I wait for Austin. I feel a little safer, but not much.
On one of these types of threads on another forum, some misguided young woman wanted to know if everyone liked Summer for her baby girl. I told her not to go that route, that it was a silly hippie name and no one would take her seriously as an adult.

Some 30-year-old Summer then came along and ripped me, saying how she has a Masters degree and did this and that and no one thought of her as silly. Lol. You never know.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I think people make too big a deal out of the whole "teasing" aspect of a name. No, don't name your kid Harry Dix, but don't make yourself crazy thinking about all of the possible ways a name could be fun of. Honestly, in my experience if there's nothing about a kid that would otherwise "warrant" teasing, he's not going to be made fun of just because his name has the sound "Gay" in it (as someone said about the name Gabriel) or anything like that.

Case in point: my son goes to school with a girl named Pooja. Envisioning endless jokes about "poo", "poop", etc. I once asked him if kids ever teased Pooja, and his response was, "No, why would they? Pooja is awesome. No one would think to tease her." We also know someone with the last name Butts, and again, same situation.
My brother-in-law became furious when we called his new baby Ham. Those are his initials. He asked us why we would call him that. We didn't, you did. Little Ham is now two and that is still what we call him. He should have seen it coming, we call Ham's brother, BP, also his initials.

For the record, yes, we like to pick on my brother-in-law. It's a sibling thing. Not an outright nasty thing.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
On one of these types of threads on another forum, some misguided young woman wanted to know if everyone liked Summer for her baby girl. I told her not to go that route, that it was a silly hippie name and no one would take her seriously as an adult.

Some 30-year-old Summer then came along and ripped me, saying how she has a Masters degree and did this and that and no one thought of her as silly. Lol. You never know.
I know a Summer and a Winter. Summer jut took a director job at a fortune 500 company, it works well for her.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:11 PM

245 posts, read 278,310 times
I think we're going with Michael.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelChange2012 View Post

Very nice.

I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to names. I agree with some of the previous posters, I would have picked Gabriel. I don't like surnames as given names either.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,914 times
Quote:

Cool!

Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 PM

245 posts, read 278,310 times
Now if only the business section of city-data was so productive, I would be well on my way to my next successful business venture.

Thank you to everyone that weighed in here!

Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM

808 posts, read 711,120 times
Smile Reply

Quote:

I like the name Michael a lot. It's still very popular, but in a good way. It's a classic that will never truly go out of style.

Are you going to use the diminutive Mike?

Quote:
Now if only the business section of city-data was so productive, I would be well on my way to my next successful business venture.

Thank you to everyone that weighed in here!
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting