U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 PM

289 posts, read 132,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So I wont debate if those dolls are sexualized, I dont want to derail it. But Monster High Clawdeen Wolf Doll : Target[/quote]

I looked at that doll you mentioned at target. What do you see about it that makes you think they are sexual. They are fashionable not sexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:20 PM

83 posts, read 94,661 times
6 & 8 yrs old seems to be a little late for me.

My 4 yr old son has been going to his school friends' birthday parties for 1.5 yrs now (so started around 3yr old). Mostly the parties are at the usual kids party place (bounce house/play gym)- one time it was at a farm to ride horses (he refused to ride them - but it was till fun).

He is also the shy/timid kind. The first few parties, I had to go into the bounce/play areas and up/down the slides with him as he wouldn't go in without me. But I just keep taking him to birthday parties to get him more comfortable and now I don't have to go in with him.

As for gift, I buy gifts in the $20 range. Usually I'll ask the kids' parents on what they are into.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:25 PM

3,165 posts, read 2,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
When I said my child might get upset when other kid opens gifts I was talking about my 6 yr old,(not 8 yr. old). Also he is the clingy , shy one my daughter isn't now. I figure they have their whole lives to go to parties. I do let them play with neighbor kids, and go to school social events, etc. Also they have went to bday parties before for cousins, family. This is just beg. of parties of school friends. I don't have issues with this. I just wasn't aware that I am so behind in letting them attend classmate parties. I figured 8 was good age to start going. Now I know
At the family parties, did they open presents? Did your son get upset? My daughter is also 6 and she's never had a problem seeing other kids open their gifts whether it be family or friends.

The norm for parties here is the presents generally don't get opened in front of the guests if done at a location (bounce place or sports connection etc..). I've seen them get opened at home parties though.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:30 PM

548 posts, read 460,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
My son has been going to birthday parties since he was a toddler. We used to stay but now that he is nearly 9, most of the time is drop off.

In our experience, most of the time the presents aren't opened during the party. They're usually gathered at a table and opened later.

Price points for a gift are around $20-25 but sometimes less - as others have said, kids don't know or care how much it is, just whether or not they like it.

I've only been to 1 or 2 kids parties where the presents were opened up with the guests present. I was born in 1970 and opening your presents with the guests was normal back then. Not so much anymore.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM

548 posts, read 460,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
I just wasn't aware that I am so behind in letting them attend classmate parties. I figured 8 was good age to start going. Now I know

Ok, but if you received invites, who all did you think was attending those parties? Kids of the same age group or class! BTW, if you have turned down invites regularly in the past (or G-d forbid, not even bothered to RSVP) the chances go down that people are willing to drop their child off at your kid's party, because they don't know you or your child. Raise your comfort level a little by getting more involved with the PTA/PTO or by spending time volunteering in your kids class or the school library. It's a great way to get to know the kids and the parents. Even once or twice a month will do wonders for your comfort level and you will know the kids in your child's circle.

I'm happy to hear your daughter had a great time and her presence was warmly received by her friend and the friend's Mother.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM

83 posts, read 94,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post

The norm for parties here is the presents generally don't get opened in front of the guests if done at a location (bounce place or sports connection etc..). I've seen them get opened at home parties though.

In our area (or at least the birthday parties that I've been to) it is the opposite. They always open the presents at the party - whether it's at home or at location. The only exception was my son's birthday party at a bounce house place. We didn't do it because by that time my son was very overwhelmed (he would have a meltdown if we proceeded with opening presents). His little friends were a little disappointed as opening presents is the norm here and they were looking forward for it.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 PM

2,770 posts, read 1,572,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While that is unusual, I have known parents to either "move up" a party a few weeks or a month or "push it back" a few weeks or a month to avoid major holidays like Christmas or Easter/spring vacation or summer vacation. So, at least some parents have done that.

My son's birthday is shortly before school ends & my daughter's birthday is in the summer. When they were in their first year of school (K for son, & JrK for daughter). We had a "New Friends Party" for them in November. It was exactly like small birthday party held at your home (games, activities, cake, goodie bags) but NO presents. Everyone loved it and it was a great way for us to get to know their school friends better. It was a somewhat unusual situation as they attended a city wide/plus suburban area magnet school and some of their friends lived 45 minutes or an hour away from our house. If they had attended a neighborhood school it would have been likely that they had meet many of their classmates before either in the neighborhood, at the nearby park, at pre-school story time at the library or in classes at the nearby YMCA.
I've known people who have done "1/2" birthday parties instead of actual birthday parties if their kid's birthday was at some problematic time of year -- like July 4 or something, when everyone was away. I find this a bit odd, but I understand the reasoning. (Personally, I'd try to keep it closer to the birthday, rather than 6 months difference, but that's me.)

I've also known plenty of people whose children had birthdays in December, sometimes on or near Christmas. They either had the parties the first Saturday in December, or sometimes even the week or two weeks before, in November, since people would always be so busy in December, or they'd push it back to January, sometimes late January. So if your kid's birthday is mid-summer, I don't think a June party (when you could still send invitations via school) would be odd at all.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:00 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM2008 View Post
In our area (or at least the birthday parties that I've been to) it is the opposite. They always open the presents at the party - whether it's at home or at location. The only exception was my son's birthday party at a bounce house place. We didn't do it because by that time my son was very overwhelmed (he would have a meltdown if we proceeded with opening presents). His little friends were a little disappointed as opening presents is the norm here and they were looking forward for it.
I've seen both. Sometimes it comes down to time. What these comments do not address is that it is not ok for an 8 year old to get upset about another kid opening presents. Whether we had a party or not, from the age of 1, my kids knew that people, including themsleves, open presents on their birthday. If it's not the OP's son's birthday, he should have no expectation of opening presents. I just don't understand this at all. I've been to many birthday parties, from age 1 on up, and have never seen a child upset about this.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:04 PM

3,165 posts, read 2,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I've seen both. Sometimes it comes down to time. What these comments do not address is that it is not ok for an 8 year old to get upset about another kid opening presents. Whether we had a party or not, from the age of 1, my kids knew that people, including themsleves, open presents on their birthday. If it's not the OP's son's birthday, he should have no expectation of opening presents. I just don't understand this at all. I've been to many birthday parties, from age 1 on up, and have never seen a child upset about this.
The OP did say in a later post that it's not her 8 year old but her 6 year old that she feels would get upset.

If they don't have any experience with it how would they learn? Kids get upset about things when they are toddlers. It happens.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The OP did say in a later post that it's not her 8 year old but her 6 year old that she feels would get upset.

If they don't have any experience with it how would they learn? Kids get upset about things when they are toddlers. It happens.
6 is not as bad as 8, but still... That's exactly my point. She needs to get them out of the house and into social situations. This wouldn't be a concern with a normally socialized 6 or 8 year old. If she doesn't take them now, will they be 10 and 12 year olds who don't understand birthday gifts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting