Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

This is scary but parents and caregivers need to know of potential dangers.

It Was A Normal Case Of Chicken Pox, Until Mom Realizes Doctors Made THIS Scary Mistake | facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

It Was A Normal Case Of Chicken Pox, Until Mom Realizes Doctors Made THIS Scary Mistake | facebook
Clickbait headlines have hit a new low...

Old 04-11-2016, 10:20 AM

480 posts, read 668,315 times
Children shouldn't get chickenpox as there has been a chickenpox vaccine available for nearly 20 years.

Side benefit: Kids who never get chickenpox (because they were vaccinated) will also never develop shingles later in life, as you can't get shingles if you never had chickenpox.

Please vaccinate your kids.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Children shouldn't get chickenpox as there has been a chickenpox vaccine available for nearly 20 years.

Side benefit: Kids who never get chickenpox (because they were vaccinated) will also never develop shingles later in life, as you can't get shingles if you never had chickenpox.

Just so you are aware, it is possible to still get chickenpox after being vaccinated (the vaccine is 98% effective). It is very mild, and much preferable to the unvaccinated version, but it is still chickenpox. Both of my children have received every possible vaccination on time every time (I am a big believer in vaccinations), but they both still got chickenpox (at the same time). Neither of them got more than 10 blisters, they only itched a little, they never opened or crusted over, and it was a very easy illness, BUT they still got them, and can get shingles later. There is a shingles vaccine they can get when they are much older (recommended for those over 60), and hopefully they will get that when it comes time. I know I will.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
There is a shingles vaccine they can get when they are much older (recommended for those over 60), and hopefully they will get that when it comes time. I know I will.
I've heard the shingles vaccine is very painful and many people don't take to it well... both my parents got it. My mom did ok, but my step-father had complications with it.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:22 PM

480 posts, read 668,315 times
No, the shingles vaccine is not painful. The shingles disease is painful however.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I've heard the shingles vaccine is very painful and many people don't take to it well... both my parents got it. My mom did ok, but my step-father had complications with it.

What kind of complications? Temporary unpleasantness or permanent damage?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
What kind of complications? Temporary unpleasantness or permanent damage?
Several days of unpleasantness and weakness. He had no energy or strength. Vomiting was involved. Very tender around the injection sight for a couple of weeks.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Thanks for the clickbait.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post

Yes they should be vaccinated, but the comment about shingles is just plain old not true. The chicken pox vax, like all vax, introduces the virus into the body. So yes, they still can get shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting